Mike McCoys role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike McCoys role

I am looking for any thoughts on what Mike McCoys role will be.

A lot of people say Manning will be doing all play calling and implementing his own offense.

What does McCoy do? Study opposing defenses?

Offense

At his introductory press conference, PM said he was looking forward to learning a new offense. That means Mike McCoy's voluminous playbook and terminology. PM isn't bringing his own offense to Denver.

PM calls plays at LOS no-huddle. He receives information via helmet radio receiver during the first thirty seconds of the playclock. He reads the defensive alignment and coverage and calls the play.

His playcalling will be based on a gameplan that selects formations and plays from the installed offense based on scouting. The gameplan will be a cooperative effort with McCoy and Manning working together. The offensive position coaches will be involved so they know what to coach and rep during the week.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

It would benefit him greatly to get Rosetta Stone: the Manning play book edition and learn Manning's language. This way we can get the ground running. McCoy will be more of an integrator, combining Manning's play book and his play book. But he must put it in Manning's language.
      #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
        It would benefit him greatly to get Rosetta Stone: the Manning play book edition and learn Manning's language. This way we can get the ground running. McCoy will be more of an integrator, combining Manning's play book and his play book. But he must put it in Manning's language.
        The language to which you refer is how a play is called at LOS in front of the D without them being able to tell what the play is. Manning does this by mixing in dummy calls. Audible signals include codes which the offense must learn. They include repetitions and numbers.

The playbook and its terminology are McCoy's. The no-huddle playcalling will probably be concocted by Manning and the whole offensive team will learn it. It will be a cooperative effort.

Comment

I've always loved watching Manning pre-snap, and thinking, "Man he picks defenses apart"

Now the thought of him doing that in a Broncos uniform....my goodness, I am stoked..

Comment

Originally posted by HuskerBronco7 View Post
            I've always loved watching Manning pre-snap, and thinking, "Man he picks defenses apart"

Now the thought of him doing that in a Broncos uniform....my goodness, I am stoked..
            Sometimes he waves his arms so much you wonder if he's going to take off before the play clock winds down.

Watching an offensive genius at work is good fun

Comment

Sit and learn behind Peyton Manning until he retires :thumb:
              Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

As long as we don't get a run up the middle for 2 yards every first down.

Comment

You cannot bring a guy like PM in, top 5 of all time, and not let him do whatever he wants on O, 95% of the time.

Last time I checked, McCoy isn't an O coordinator Einstein.

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                    As long as we don't get a run up the middle for 2 yards every first down.
                    I've still got to CP that post where someone suggested run, run, pass for the first series of the season just to troll people.

Comment

Looking at our moves in FA i think we are going to have a look like Elways last two years with a twist. Manning running up a lead to help the D. We will do that using a NE model with their TE's and use the running game to slow things down. Our WR's are aruably better than NE's right now making coverage that much harder. You mix that in with the threat of our run game with essentially the same personnel you get a prety potent mix on offence.

This would be a great marriage of Mannings 2 min stuff and Fox's running game. Mccoy has shown he can adapt and change so I think he can merge these things to come up with an offence that will be very difficult to defend.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                        You cannot bring a guy like PM in, top 5 of all time, and not let him do whatever he wants on O, 95% of the time.

Last time I checked, McCoy isn't an O coordinator Einstein.
                        Genius has little to do with it. It has more to do with the best vantage point to see how the D is lined up and what the coverage seems to be. The best view is from right behind center during the playclock.

Also, PM knows what throws he feels he can make and since he calls his own plays, there is no filter between that feeling and the playcall.

If PM was calling plays from the sideline or the box, he might not seem like Einstein to you either. The view from the side is different. You don't see the line splits as well. No-huddle with a guy who reads defenses like PM can is a distinct advantage.

Have you ever called plays? In HS the playclock is 25 seconds. Think fast! Especially if you're sending the plays in with a player. In NFL it is 40 seconds with a helmet receiver.

PM will call the plays within the parameters of the offense and gameplan 100% of the time. It would be interesting to know what information he is getting in his ear.

Comment

HOPEFULLY reduced so much that he will just leave. Or think he is going to get a HC job somewhere else.
                          So far:
                          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

From his press conference I got the feeling that Manning will bring a lot of his own plays and ideas to this team! He of course was respectful to McCoy, Elway & Fox saying he was looking forward to working with them and figuring out a "new offense". Which of course it will be, he is in a different uniform and has all new teammates.

However Elway also said, that they would be stupid not to pick Manning's brain. Someone with his knowledge needs to be an asset to this team. Peyton Manning might very well be the smartest player when it comes to the game of all time.

McCoy will have input, Elway will have input, Fox will have input & Manning will have input. I believe they will create an offense with the best of all of their ideas. However I do believe Manning will be doing most if not all of the play calling. McCoy will give advice on what he sees and thinks might work...But IMO in the long run each play will be Mannings call.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                              HOPEFULLY reduced so much that he will just leave. Or think he is going to get a HC job somewhere else.
                              At his introductory press conference, PM said he was looking forward to learning a new offense. That would be McCoy's offense. PM has always worked with an OC.

Comment

Working...
                              X