Demaryius Thomas may struggle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demaryius Thomas may struggle?

How do you guys think Demaryius Thomas will do next year?

From what I gather, Peyton's game based on short throws, precision and timing. So a guy like Eric Decker will thrive but I'm not so sure about Thomas.

Thomas had so incredible monster games like 200 yards receiving, but they were based on deep passes which I'm not so sure Manning can do anymore.

Thomas struggles with his routes and has some catching problems (needs to fix his fundamentals) so I just get the sense he may struggle next year with Peyton as QB.

So you're saying he can't catch a short pass and run for 80 yrds or that Manning can't throw deep?

Comment

I expect him to thrive. Peyton Manning has never had a WR this big and I expect him to utilize the size of DT, in the same way that Stafford does with CJ.
      sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

only fans are saying that peyton cant throw deep anymore..

so..... more dots........
        sigpic

Comment

The physical aspect is not a concern. Thomas can get open when running short or deep routes. He has strength and speed. I don't see defensive backs easily jamming Thomas at the line. Expect him to catch more screen passes and slants. I'd be more worried about the mental aspect of his game. His route tree will probably expand with a quarterback like Manning and there will be more pre-snap communication, including multiple plays being called during the huddle. It's not a big deal, but Manning will have less options with the receivers that can't absorb all the information.
          Last edited by -Rod-; 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
            I expect him to thrive. Peyton Manning has never had a WR this big and I expect him to utilize the size of DT, in the same way that Stafford does with CJ.
            Just throw it up and let DT go get it!

The bigger concern for is are these guys gonna start catching in general. I mean we act like that's not the 800lb gorilla in the room. It's safe to say none of them were "sticky hands" last year. So I'd be more concerned with that, than Manning's arm and DT's route running ability.
            Last edited by flosstein; 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM.
            #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
              Just throw it up and let DT go get it.
              Exactly, mainly in the redzone.

Although Manning isn't the guy to do this in double coverage and triple coverage... single coverage in the endzone? It's a no brainer.
              Last edited by BluenOrnge4Life; 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM.
              sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

DT will thrive in Peyton Offense. Just like he threw the deep ball to Reggie Wayne and Garcon, he will throw the deep ball to DT.

Comment

Somehow, based off the last 14 years we've seen Peyton, that is not his game is to just throw it up. He'll lead a receiver open and hit windows, but Peyton doesn't seem to be that type of QB.

While Manning has never had a "wr as big as DT", DT can't hold a candle to reggie wayne or marvin harrisons career yet.

I love DT, but lets be real, he has a long way to go to match wayne or harrison.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    The physical aspect is not a concern. Thomas can get open when running short or deep routes. He has strength and speed. I don't see defensive backs easily jamming Thomas at the line. Expect him to catch more screen passes and slants. I'd be more worried about the mental aspect of his game. His route tree will probably expand with a quarterback like Manning and there will be more pre-snap communication, including multiple plays being called during the huddle. It's not a big deal, but Manning will have less options with the receivers that can't absorb all the information.
                    We have a bingo!

I think physically DT can be a beast... I would be more worried about him handling the complex nature of a manning run offensive scheme.

I heard Jeff Saturday say Manning will call 3 plays in the huddle, then when he gets to the line he will blocking schemes and routes if the defense he sees demands a change.

If DT is thinking too much and not getting into the right spot for Manning he will lose the confidence Peyton has in him... That could be a problem.
                    Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Exactly

Thomas is so ridiculously underrated ...there's a reason he was taken RIGHTLY SO as the first WR in the draft and I'm so damn sick of ppl acting like he's just okay because he hasn't been on the field but when he HAS been on the field (and healthy) what has he done? Oh yeah been by far our biggest weapon on offense and straight destroyed defensive backs n defenses

Ridiculous how two completely separate injuries that he seems to now have finally overcome make ppl go "yeah he's average" dude is a freakin monster and I'm telling every single one of you who always argues and disputes this with me constantly ...I'm gonna throw it in your face non-stop when DT catapults to being a top 3-5 WR in this league ...I'm gonna seriously love doing it too cuz the ridiculous doubters who are blind to how much of a beast Thomas is piss me off incredibly

Comment

Originally posted by kcarr26 View Post
                        Somehow, based off the last 14 years we've seen Peyton, that is not his game is to just throw it up. He'll lead a receiver open and hit windows, but Peyton doesn't seem to be that type of QB.

While Manning has never had a "wr as big as DT", DT can't hold a candle to reggie wayne or marvin harrisons career yet.

I love DT, but lets be real, he has a long way to go to match wayne or harrison.
                        Because the short, route tree is not his game. His game is to stretch the field, deep route trees. More like Plex, Megatron, and Marshall. Now compared to them, he's close to that caliber. Very close.

So to compare DT to Wayne or Harrison is not fair, because they can't do what he does and he can't do what they do.
                        #swapping

Comment

I think Thomas will be a slow starter as he picks up the offense but I see him bring our big play recuever more than anything. I wouldnt be surprised if we had two players with more catches than him at the seasons end but no doubt he will be the playmaker out of everyone.

Comment

Or another way of thinking. Manning figures out how best to use DT and gives him the routes he knows he can be successful with.
                            Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by IStoleYourName View Post
                              So you're saying he can't catch a short pass and run for 80 yrds or that Manning can't throw deep?
                              That's pretty much what he's saying LOL

DT will be a beast with Peyton Manning (as long as he stays healthy).

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X