Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Night Football season opener

Manning-led Broncos reportedly could open season on NBC

The Denver Broncos are readying themselves for a schedule chalk full of prime time games, and they've reportedly received word that they could be thrust into the spotlight as soon as Week 1.

The team has been informed that there's a strong chance that it will be chosen to kickoff NBC's "Sunday Night Football" slate Sept. 9, according to The Denver Post.

With Peyton Manning now the starting quarterback, the Broncos seem to know that they'll be a coveted team by ESPN and NBC this year, and they're letting their fans know to expect to see the team in prime time.

"Our fans should get ready for more night games," Broncos president Joe Ellis told The Post. "Home and road."

The Broncos had two games in prime time last season: a Week 1 game against the Oakland Raiders on "Monday Night Football" on ESPN, and a Week 11 tilt against the New York Jets on NFL Network.

Five potential prime-time openers for Peyton Manning

This probably won't come as a surprise, but get ready to see a whole lot of Peyton Manning in prime time next season.

The Denver Post reported on Tuesday that the Broncos have received word there is a "strong chance" they will open up "Sunday Night Football" in Week 1 on Sept. 9.

"Our fans should get ready for more night games," Broncos president Joe Ellis said. "Home and road."

But back to Week 1. The NFL schedule has yet to be released, but each team knows who their opponents will be. Here's our list of most desirable Week 1 showdowns for Peyton & Co.

1. New England Patriots: Brady vs. Manning? What else needs to be said? The greatest rivalry of the 2000s resumes at Foxboro after a hiatus that will make the wait for "Mad Men" seem tolerable. Cris Collinsworth is already dizzy thinking about it.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Broncos -- led by Tim Tebow -- bounced the Steelers out of the playoffs in January. Now Pittsburgh returns to Sports Authority Field at Mile High looking for payback. This one seems destined to come down to the final possession.

3. Oakland Raiders: In Manning's first game as a member of the AFC West, why not send him to the Black Hole to face the Broncos' biggest rival at a time of the season when the Raiders typically peak?

4. New Orleans Saints: The league might not want to showcase the "bounty"-tainted Saints in Week 1, but Manning seeking revenge against the hometown team that kept him from his second Super Bowl ring? Yes please.

5. Cleveland Browns: If the league wanted to turn Week 1 into a Manning coronation, ship in the Browns for a pasting. As a bonus, John Elway will welcome the opportunity to inflict more emotional damage on the city of Cleveland. Everybody wins, well, except the poor Browns

Comment

Broncos-Ravens

Book it.

Comment

Cant wait til they release the full schedule or at least start releasing the primetime games. It should happen within the next 2 weeks I think. Excited to see what games we get on primetime.
        :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

I can almost guarantee that the Pats game and Steeler games gets prime time. Probably two division games as well(most likely SD and Oak).
          sigpic

Comment

LMAO, This was funny

5. Cleveland Browns: If the league wanted to turn Week 1 into a Manning coronation, ship in the Browns for a pasting. As a bonus, John Elway will welcome the opportunity to inflict more emotional damage on the city of Cleveland. Everybody wins, well, except the poor Browns

Comment

It should be a home game if thats possible.

Probably a home game against another AFC West team would be best IMO

Too early for NE, Saints or Steelers

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                LMAO, This was funny

awee poor browns. :thumb:
                Follow me on twitter. @mattryan_onair

It will be awesome to see the orange crush return to denver. Bruising Defence, unstoppable offence.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                  LMAO, This was funny

You have no idea,how people hate Elway up here in Cleveland..
                  I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Originally posted by destrukt View Post
                    This probably won't come as a surprise, but get ready to see a whole lot of Peyton Manning in prime time next season.

The Denver Post reported on Tuesday that the Broncos have received word there is a "strong chance" they will open up "Sunday Night Football" in Week 1 on Sept. 9.

"Our fans should get ready for more night games," Broncos president Joe Ellis said. "Home and road."

But back to Week 1. The NFL schedule has yet to be released, but each team knows who their opponents will be. Here's our list of most desirable Week 1 showdowns for Peyton & Co.

1. New England Patriots: Brady vs. Manning? What else needs to be said? The greatest rivalry of the 2000s resumes at Foxboro after a hiatus that will make the wait for "Mad Men" seem tolerable. Cris Collinsworth is already dizzy thinking about it.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers: The Broncos -- led by Tim Tebow -- bounced the Steelers out of the playoffs in January. Now Pittsburgh returns to Sports Authority Field at Mile High looking for payback. This one seems destined to come down to the final possession.

3. Oakland Raiders: In Manning's first game as a member of the AFC West, why not send him to the Black Hole to face the Broncos' biggest rival at a time of the season when the Raiders typically peak?

4. New Orleans Saints: The league might not want to showcase the "bounty"-tainted Saints in Week 1, but Manning seeking revenge against the hometown team that kept him from his second Super Bowl ring? Yes please.

Browns. I would love to open up against them. Nothing better than starting the season off 1-0. Browns are by far the most pathetic team we will play this year. Would be nice to get some confidence going before we have to play some real NFL teams later on.

Really hope we don't open up on the road against the Pats though. Plus I want to open up at home, so I can see Peyton throw his 400th TD pass in person.
                    :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

Yeah, i'm almost certain we open up in primetime, against who, i'm not sure..

But NE, NO, and Pitt are locks for 3 of them, other two probably a division game, and Bal or Hou.

Comment

ya i hope we dont open against pats..Would love opening against the brown..but i can see the steelers coming in to open things up
                        Follow me on twitter. @mattryan_onair

It will be awesome to see the orange crush return to denver. Bruising Defence, unstoppable offence.

Comment

Pats is a late nov or early dec game. It just wouldnt feel right in week 1. The game always meant homefield advantage for the most part so it needs to be later in the year. Steelers or Houston would be perfeft imo. I think the nfl wants Manning at home for that first primetime game.

Comment

I'm calling vs. Chargers!

Comment

Denver plays at New England this year, and they will surely want Peyton at home, so count out NE for week 1.. weeks 11-15 though..

Raiders going to Denver isn't very special to outsiders.

Pittsburgh at Denver.. I can already see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X