DP: Bowlen for dollars: How the Broncos are spending in NFL free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP: Bowlen for dollars: How the Broncos are spending in NFL free agency

Here's some info on the cash spent so far...

Link

Remember that $40 million in salary cap space the Broncos had entering the 2012 offseason? They figured out how to spend it. In the past 10 days, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has invested nearly $140 million in nine players.

A look at how the Broncos have spent during this free agency period, with their total contract and how much they count against the cap in 2012:

Peyton Manning, QB … 5 years, $96 million … $18 million
    Joe Mays, MLB* … 3 years, $12 million … $4 million
    Joel Dreessen, TE … 3 years, $8.5 million … $4 million
    Jacob Tamme, TE … 3 years, $8 million … $3.5 million
    Tracy Porter, CB … 1 year, $4 million … $4 million
    Mike Adams, S … 2 years, $4 million … $2 million
    Wesley Woodyard, LB* … 2 years, $4 million … $2 milion
    Andre Caldwell, WR … 2 years, $1.8 million … $900,000**
    Caleb Hanie, QB … 1 year, $1.25 million … $1.25 million***

Totals … $139.55 million … $39.65 million

* – Bronco free agents who were re-signed.
    ** – $200,000 of Caldwell’s salary is guaranteed.
    *** – Hanie has no guaranteed money.

sigpic

Well that's not good

Still havr like 4 mill in draft picks to sign
    sigpic

Comment

Im assuming Goodman or warren might be post draft cuts depending on who we pick up. Most likely Goodman. Also keep an eye on vickerson and DJ. DJ most likely traded for a late round pick. I would be against it myself but wouldnt be surprised since it saves 5 mill this year and 6 mill next.
      Last edited by shawinkerpoppin; 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I don't know how else to look at this other then to say the Broncos are not signing anyone else until after the draft and some cuts are made to the current roster .. Maybe Goody,Moreno ..

Also looking at the numbers it looks like they got carried away on TE's .. How many is that now on the roster ...
        Last edited by LarryDean; 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM.
        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedWonder View Post
          Well that's not good

Still havr like 4 mill in draft picks to sign
          There will be cuts that free up room, and some contracts will likely be altered to free up space. They're not in any danger of being broke.

Comment

So can people stop saying Bowlen is going broke now?

He spent more dollars in salaries last year than the actual cap limit, and he has to have way overspent in money than the cap limit for this year.

(Note: Cap Space is not the same as actual dollars spent in guaranteed money or by signing bonuses)

I'd say Bowlen's budgets have been very generous and prove he is willing to spend what is necessary to field a Championship Caliber team.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
              I don't know how else to look at this other then to say the Broncos are not signing anyone else until after the draft and some cuts are made to the current roster .. Maybe Goody,Moreno ..

Also looking at the numbers it looks like they got carried away on TE's .. How many is that now on the roster ...
              Agreed.

I bet they end up moving DJ and his suspension...
              and Goodman...

Moreno? I would not be surprised to see him traded on draft day..
              and the Broncos take a bigger young RB

Still no word on Dawkins, either.

I honestly dont see Hainy making the team...

and you are right... we have too many TE's...
              somebody is gonna be gone... Might be Virgil Green...
              maybe can get a late pick for him, too.

The bottom line is, as you noted, we will see some activity.
              - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Can not believe we spent 40 mil this year and only got two players from the top 100 list...speaking of Prater not in there yet.

We are apparently all in with Peyton
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I don't think that original $40 million includes Tim Tebow's salary which was around an $8 million cap room hit if I recall. No need to worry about cap room this year and we are decently prepared for next year. Only big issue could be Ryan Clady's contract which ends after 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    Can not believe we spent 40 mil this year and only got two players from the top 100 list...speaking of Prater not in there yet.

Prater? He got the franchise tag...

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post

Moreno is a long shot to be cut for money reasons. He is making about the same as Hanie.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

What? Doom, Champ, Von, DJ, Clady, Kuper, Dawk, none of them are in the top 100?

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
                          What? Doom, Champ, Von, DJ, Clady, Kuper, Dawk, none of them are in the top 100?
                          I think he was talking about PFTs top 100 free agents. Speaking which Jarvis Moss was on that list, so take it for what you will as how reliable it is.

Comment

Peyton Manning Contract

I can't remember where but I could of sworn i just read somewhere that peyton's salary cap against this year is only 12 million. Because technically some of his money is a signing bonus which is spread though out the life of the contract.

Comment

No guaranteed money for Hanie...Hmmm, yep, we'll be drafting a QB since we can cut Hanie with no cap hit.

I believe D.J. and Goody will be traded for a 5th rd pick. Stong posibility that Warren will be released.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X