No announcement yet.

Rate JD Walton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reality is the line was bad with Orton and Tebow. There were several occasions where Orton was sacked before getting to a 3rd step in a 3 step drop. Almost always the pressure came from the middle to left side of the line-Walton and Beadles.
    In all fairness...they were two rookies, that's a lot of pressure. It's not like Walton had the luxury of being put with a seasoned O-line like Pouncey had his rookie season...to add, Orton must have one of the worst QB pocket presence I have ever witnessed, and we had no running game so teams were teeing up on us!

I'm not saying Walton is the answer, but I think it is unfair to judge him until he gets a chance to prove himself 3 years in with a somewhat conventional offense.
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

I will go off of what I see and watch in the games and that is that the middle of our oline is one of the best at double teams, these boys are still young and are getting better. If Walton hadn't gotten beaten up twice by wilfork he would've had a great season. Each one of our lineman is great at something but not everything, beadles is great at pulling if not one of the best pulling gaurds in football, kuper is great at pass blocking and Walton is a great double team center. The entire oline improved the past 2 seasons and will improve again this year
      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
        In all fairness...they were two rookies, that's a lot of pressure. It's not like Walton had the luxury of being put with a seasoned O-line like Pouncey had his rookie season...to add, Orton must have one of the worst QB pocket presence I have ever witnessed, and we had no running game so teams were teeing up on us!

I'm not saying Walton is the answer, but I think it is unfair to judge him until he gets a chance to prove himself 3 years in with a somewhat conventional offense.
        They weren't rookies this year!

The line was an issue when orton played this year. Orton was the QB who "gve us the best chance to win" in part because he could do everything Tebow couldn't from the POCKET.

Meh. I think the draft will be telling. I think if the right DT isn't available, Denver may seriously look at OL. They have 96 Million reasons to.

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
          They weren't rookies this year!

The line was an issue when orton played this year. Orton was the QB who "gve us the best chance to win" in part because he could do everything Tebow couldn't from the POCKET.

Meh. I think the draft will be telling. I think if the right DT isn't available, Denver may seriously look at OL. They have 96 Million reasons to.
          I think that its not only DT, but if a talented defensive player is there they will take em but if they are gone I'm kinda hoping for konz cause he could really completed our line with great power inside
          A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Two things that I believe should be noted of Walton and Beadles.

#1 - They both have started 42 total games in just two season (8 Preseason and 2 Playoff games included)

#2 - They faced 8-9 people in the box last year due to Tebow's passing ability.

I think both players have had growing pains and struggles but I think we have a fairly young line that will only get better.
            Last edited by JW7; 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

good post

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              I charted the plays of most of the games in 2011 and posted my observations.

Since I've been interested in O-Line play for a long time, I watched each guy on each play until I could see what he was doing.

Those who have played/coached the game know the truth of "There ain't a horse that's never been rode and ain't a cowboy that's never been throwed."

I can remember seeing an EZ view of Brian Urlacher being run over by Jerome Bettis on his way to a score. Does that mean he sucks?

My take on Walton is that he is a good run blocker who needs some work on his pass blocking. Since pass blocking is easier to coach and do than run blocking and he has a good position coach, he will improve in that area. Luke Richesson and staff will have their shot at working with each position group.

To say that the Broncos couldn't run to their left is as idiotic as saying Tebow couldn't throw while moving to his right. McGahee's longest run of the season was to the left, unbalanced line at Oakland, I believe. Tebow threw a TD pass while moving to his right, against Chicago, I think.

I would be glad to talk OL with anyone who knows the difference between a base, base away, down, fold, reach, scoop, influence, pull to trap/lead/kickout/seal. Instead, one guy reads and believes PFF and everyone else piles on the bandwagon.

To so many, the solution is always cut the player and fire the coach. That sentiment may come from those who have done neither.
              Good post. One worth reading!
              Mile High

Comment

I just want to say thumbs up to everyone who has contributed with their opinions. I personally have been enlightened by all sides of the argument. I wish most threads would go in this direction...but I guess that is just wishful thinking

It looks like at the end of the day, we as fans, have very mixed feelings on JD and Beadles for that matter...let us see how much of an impact another years experience and the Manning effect will have on these two young linemen.
                "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Despite Saturday going elsewhere, I still voted for JD's the future now.

Walton, along with the rest f our O-Line showed huge promise from the Detriot game on. (Lets just ignore the way KC and NE owned us for the sake of my argument, because they flat out shut our offense down, and I do not think that falls on the O-Line whatsoever)

Everyone in the league played us run-first, yet we were still able to get positive yardage up the gut, and manhandle very impressive D-Lines. Walton was a big part of that push. He improved week to week. Neither McGahee nor Tebow are edge runners, and both averaged around 5 ypc for the season, which is hugely impressive. To add to that, Walton is fairly nimble, and is able to pull if necessary.

I might be overstating a bit, but I think Walton has a chance to play a similar role as Jeff Saturday, who, in my opinion, is the smartest, and best pass blocking center to ever play the game. Right now he is a better run blocker than pass blocker, but last year he showed signs of brilliance (see the way he absolutely owned the Jets gap blitzes). Hopefully Peyton can teach him how to be an elite pass blocker as well.

My 2c.

Comment

JD nor Beadles are at the All-Pro level, but OK for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X