Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense Under Tebow vs. Defense Under Manning

From what I seen last year,

broncos defense tightened up when tebow took over, when they realized he could only make a handful of plays to win the game, very low scoring games, where if tebow scored 6 pts the broncos would win,

under manning do you think the defense will play as great as they did last year, or will they ease up and be more relaxed knowing their QB can make plays every snap,

I think our defense will be better than last year for one reason. Our offense will have more first downs and longer drives which means a FRESHER defense.

With Tebow the play calling on 3rd down was horrid, which caused a lot of 3 and outs. Manning will be able to sustain drives and help keep our D fresh.
    Go Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by Manning2BayBay View Post

broncos defense tightened up when tebow took over, when they realized he could only make a handful of plays to win the game, very low scoring games, where if tebow scored 6 pts the broncos would win,

under manning do you think the defense will play as great as they did last year, or will they ease up and be more relaxed knowing their QB can make plays every snap,
      I think the defence will play lights out regardless of who the QB is.

In fact with our pass rushers, having the lead and scoring points will only make our defence better cause we can let Von and Elvis pin their ears back and get at the qb. Much like the colts did with Freeney and Mathis

Comment

The defense will be in more shoot-outs, so they will give up more points. Teams that play behind take more shots, play more agressively, take more risks.

One of the reasons both defenses play well (low scoring) in a conservative game is that both teams play more conservatively, like a chess match or like two boxers feeling each other out for the knockout blow.

The lower score games last year were not coincidence as to when they happened -- games have a certain tone set by what both teams are doing in terms of risk/reward.

Comment

They're not going to be on the field 5 downs after they got off so......they'll be fresher and stronger when it matters most.
          Never argue with an idiot...he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Laugh...and the whole world laughs with you!
          Laugh like a lunatic for no apparent reason...and they'll leave you alone!

"Why are you cutting?"
          "Hey man. Why are you 300 pounds?"
          Howard Griffith to Levon Kirkland - 1997 AFC Championship
          sigpic

Comment

We'll probably give up similar yardage, but I feel like our D is more geared to defend the pass, and we're going to do more of that playing from ahead. Von, Doom, Bailey, Carter, Porter, Adams, and Harris should all have good years.
            Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

in regards to the shootout im assuming those teams would be saints,falcons,pats?

the defense under orton was not as inspired as they were under tebow,

im not sure if that was due to the coaching or the player,

i could also see the broncos scoring a lot, only because game plans have been focused around manning,

and now there is this new element to manning and the broncos offense(tebow's offense became predictable and stale),

Comment

Originally posted by Broncs_for_life View Post
                I think our defense will be better than last year for one reason. Our offense will have more first downs and longer drives which means a FRESHER defense.

With Tebow the play calling on 3rd down was horrid, which caused a lot of 3 and outs. Manning will be able to sustain drives and help keep our D fresh.

in my opinion he is clutch on 3rd downs, even his last throw ever as colt, if the receiver from the street just caught it,

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
                  We'll probably give up similar yardage, but I feel like our D is more geared to defend the pass, and we're going to do more of that playing from ahead. Von, Doom, Bailey, Carter, Porter, Adams, and Harris should all have good years.

good point

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                    The defense will be in more shoot-outs, so they will give up more points. Teams that play behind take more shots, play more agressively, take more risks.

One of the reasons both defenses play well (low scoring) in a conservative game is that both teams play more conservatively, like a chess match or like two boxers feeling each other out for the knockout blow.

The lower score games last year were not coincidence as to when they happened -- games have a certain tone set by what both teams are doing in terms of risk/reward.

so we are all curious to see the tone the broncos set from the first game,

long time away, its close to may

Comment

in regards to the shootout im assuming those teams would be saints,falcons,pats?
                      No, most teams. Under the theory the Broncos offense will score early and often, other teams will have to let 'er rip and take risk to try and keep up or catch up.

It's good for a defense to play with a lead. But it also tests a defense to try and hold a lead and stop a team that has to open up and take risks down the field.

Comment

Played great last year? What Broncos' defense were you watching? They were middle of the road at best. If our defense doesn't greatly improve over last year, I'll be sorely disappointed. That said, I think having an offense that doesn't usually go 3-and-out is already a big help in improving the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by ramanboy33 View Post
                          Played great last year? What Broncos' defense were you watching? They were middle of the road at best. If our defense doesn't greatly improve over last year, I'll be sorely disappointed. That said, I think having an offense that doesn't usually go 3-and-out is already a big help in improving the defense.
                          Our defense played great for a good portion of the season.

The miller and dawkins injury however really showed how important those two were to our success on defense.

Comment

It depends on what the team does in the draft as well as the health and effectiveness of key players. Last year when Doom, Miller or Dawkins was out or not at 100% the defense struggled. The nickel defense without Bunkley and Thomas was not very good in the middle.

Overall it looks like the defense will lose two of its best players pending Dawkins decision. DJ Williams could be out the first part of the year. Thomas could also be gone. Right now there is definitely some work to be done and some glaring holes. Porter and Adams improve the coverage units. LB's pending DJ's suspension should largely be the same. The DL so far is significantly worse. Carter is a downgrade from Dawkins at SS.

With a good draft and a few more FA signings the defense could improve, but as of now it looks to be worse.

Comment

our D will give up more points and yards I am sure but will create more TOs and get more sacks

I think our defense will be improved this year and mainly because Manning will allow more rushing opportunities for miller and dumervil

But I dont expect us to be in the top 10 statistically or anything

Comment

Working...
                              X