Just out of curiosity ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just out of curiosity ...

I have nothing to back this up; that's why I'm asking this question.

I don't know that I've ever seen a team that, when I look at the stats, has such an overwhelming advantage (things such as time of possession, etc.) yet has had so many close games going both ways.

Is it my imagination, or do the Broncos seem to have the statistical advantage in virtually every game, yet it seems to be a nut cruncher to the end?

If so, why do you think this is?
    Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

One thing it might be IMO...our punt coverage sucks so we are giving them a short field everytime it seems like.
    BroncoCy: Quality posting since Nov 2003

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoCy
      One thing it might be IMO...our punt coverage sucks so we are giving them a short field everytime it seems like.
      I think that's a lot to do with it. It doesn't matter if you go 70 yards every drive and your opponents go 30 if you need 80 and they need 30. And Knorr gives WAY too many great field positions like that. Part of that's also the reverse - I think our return capabilities are almost as bad as Knorr's punting. I get more frustrated when every other punt returner in football seems to average 15 yards or whatever and we are lucky if we get 3. Special teams are definitely the biggest weakness of the Broncos this year.

Comment

I swear every time i tune into a Broncos game, the stats have no bearing on the score. Not that the stats are the end-all, be-all, but at some level, there has to be a correlation.
        Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

We just can't seem to put the ball in the endzone. We put together kick ass drives, but we have to settle for 3 most of the time unless Plummer hooks up with Sharpe or Clinton punches it in.

Comment

you cant blame it on Knorr......He has the punts , its just the coverage team..

Comment

I think it's because even though we play decent to well in lots of aspects of the game, there are a few areas that we play so bad in that a lot of what is gained from our positive aspects gets negated.

Comment

Originally posted by 16-JakE-16
                you cant blame it on Knorr......He has the punts , its just the coverage team..
                Wow, you're right. I just took a look at some stats as of last week, and Knorr has the fifth best gross yardage. However, his net yardage is DEAD LAST (at least for punts). That's actually kind of scary. I guess it is just coverage after all.

Comment

I did read a stat earlier this year that Knorr, while having a great average, had not forced many fair catches. To me, that indicates he outkicks his coverage or, at worst, doesn't have the needed hang time.

Comment

Re: Just out of curiosity ...

Originally posted by ReasonableChief

I don't know that I've ever seen a team that, when I look at the stats, has such an overwhelming advantage (things such as time of possession, etc.) yet has had so many close games going both ways.

Is it my imagination, or do the Broncos seem to have the statistical advantage in virtually every game, yet it seems to be a nut cruncher to the end?

It's been like this for a while now.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

The rankings don't take into account special teams and turnovers, two biggest weakness of this team. On the other hand, it showed that this team doesn't rely on luck, which bode well in the playoffs.

Comment

Re: Just out of curiosity ...

Originally posted by ReasonableChief

I think it's turnovers. Denver is on the minus side of the giveaway-takeaway ratio. I think the fault in that lies with the defense, not the offense. The offense seems to take care of the ball (in general), while the defense just doesn't seem to cause enough turnovers. Denver's defense is last in the NFL in interceptions. When your not getting turnovers, your offense has to grind out 70-80 yard drives to score, hence the statistical advantage that you're talking about.

We don't seem to get "easy points" that often. We have to earn what we get. Even with the second KC game we had to go the length of the field to score our 45 points. The field wasn't shortened by an interception or a fumble. That's why I think we don't beat the crap out of teams more regularly. We make it harder on ourselves because we can't force turnovers on a regular basis and unless our offense is clicking on all cylinders, we're in for a rough day.
                        sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Working...
                        X