Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind of Offense Will the Broncos Have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it depends on how the running game works this year. As the last couple of years in Indy, the Colts tried to do a balanced Offense to start the season. When they saw the running game wasn't working then Peyton got a lot more job and the O was pass-heavy most of the time.

I expect the same here. Plan A is to have a balanced offense, but if somehow the running game (or passing game) doesn't work, become a bit more one dimensional.

Also, the last time Peyton had a great running game (1500 yard season by James) he threw for 4700 or so and set the previous record for TDs (49) while not throwing too much but having amazing completion percentage and YPA.
    Last edited by Sparttns; 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparttns View Post
      I think it depends on how the running game works this year. As the last couple of years in Indy, the Colts tried to do a balanced Offense to start the season. When they saw the running game wasn't working then Peyton got a lot more job and the O was pass-heavy most of the time.

I expect the same here. Plan A is to have a balanced offense, but if somehow the running game (or passing game) doesn't work, become a bit more one dimensional.

Also, the last time Peyton had a great running game (1500 yard season by James) he threw for 4700 and set the previous record for TDs (49) while not throwing too much but having amazing completion percentage and YPA.
      I could live with that

Comment

You left off the best answer: A better one.
        You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
          You left off the best answer: A better one.
          touché sir....

Comment

I think the team will try for a balanced offense, especially early in the season while PM is still getting used to his new receivers and getting his throwing arm back into shape. If that works out, they may go a little more toward the pass later, at least until the weather gets bad.

Comment

Very balanced offense. Tons of play action. A lot of 3 WR/1TE, 2WR/2TE sets. A heavy dose of McGahee/Hillman. 3rd down conversions to Dreeson and Caldwell. Big plays from Hillman/Prime. Decker having an unstoppable season, showing off his great hands and route running skills from college. Very few sacks taken. I fully expect us to have a top 5 offense this season.
              Denver Broncos GM
              Originally posted by Mosk
              Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Judging by last year it will be whatever gives us the best chance to win!
                Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanrivers View Post
                  Start here: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...offense-part-1

2x2 sets (2 WR, 2 TE) most of the time with a pre-snap read and route concept adjustments. An effective but moderately used zone running game that also acts as the series basis for PAP.
                  Nice read. I have to believe that the Manning offense will trump the McCoy offense just like the Tebow offense did. They will say he adapted to Peyton's style of play and he will get a HC job somewhere next year.

Sure PM won't necessitate it the way Tebow did but they didn't sign that massive contract to have one of the greatest offensive minds of all time run some other guy's offense.
                  Last edited by Lomax; 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM.
                  "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

I don't think the Broncos will have a balanced offense this season. Peyton Manning is here to throw the ball. $18 million guaranteed. He will run the show. John Fox and Mike McCoy like to talk about balance on offense, but this talk goes out the window once the season starts. Look back at the 2011 season. There was no balance when Orton was the quarterback; the Broncos were airing it out. There was no balance when Tebow was the quarterback; the Broncos unleashed a run-heavy offense. 1st in rushing attempts, 32nd in passing attempts. Where was the balance? The Broncos had the most unbalanced offense in the NFL, running the ball like crazy because they decided to put a running quarterback on the field.

Now, the team has a conventional pocket passer that likes to read the defense and change plays at the line of scrimmage. Maybe McCoy will call a play in the huddle, but Manning will have freedom to do whatever he wants before the snap. There will be some good opportunities to call running plays against two high safeties, but Manning will orchestrate a passing attack. There will be a lot of no-huddle if the other players are able to learn the details during training camp. The Broncos don't have an Edgerrin James that can take over a game. The threat of the running quarterback is gone. They will rely on Peyton Manning to move the chains. Three quarterbacks threw for 5000+ yards last season; Ten threw for 4000+ yards, including a rookie. Elway is aligning the Broncos with the rest of the league. Aaron Rodgers airing it out? Tom Brady airing it out? 30+ points? Okay, now we can also play this game.

Obviously, the amount of throws will depend on Manning's endurance as the season goes on. I'm not concerned about his neck, but I'm concerned about his arm strength after 10, 12 games. Age + surgery. The running game can help Manning stay fresh, but if he is feeling good, he will throw the ball early and often. Balance is a nice word until teams start doing what they do best to win games.
                    sigpic

Comment

whatever gets us the most points

Comment

Well if PM gets his way it will be hurry up. If its not, its probably going to be weird for him.

Comment

Working...
                        X