Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Manning effect the running game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Manning effect the running game?

Found this little gem on a local NFL insider's facebook:

with the threat of a running QB completely gone defenses wont be fooled by the read option as they were last year. No need for opponents to play 8 or 9 man fronts because PFM wont ever run the ball. We all know the passing game will be much much better, thats not the point. I cant help but think the running game will be inconsistent at best if not outright NON existent unless the line improves a great deal and/or Ronnie Hillman turns out the be the second coming of Terrell Davis.
    Agree or disagree with this statement?

I personally disagree. I think having a QB that can be accurate and consistent in the short to intermediate game will walk the safeties out of the box leaving more holes to run through. I also believe a smarter, more well-versed QB will audible into the right plays to give the RB's even MORE of a chance to better succeed.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by CoryWinget81; 07-30-2012, 09:17 AM.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Last time I checked, this team was coached by a guy who loves the run game... so I would think it will still have a big presence...
    A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

Disagree, now having a top QB, teams have to respect the pass, and won't have 8-9 in the box like last year.

Pick your poison.

Run game won't be as good as last year, but we'll still run the ball quite a bit.

Comment

First of all having a good running game is really not that important anymore
        I mean the Giants were below average during the season last year I believe

Second you also dont need a scrambling qb to have an effective running game
        Yes Peyton is going to beat defenses with his legs, but we should have more lanes to run through
        No more stacked boxes anymore, McGahee and company should be getting 7 man fronts to run against

I do not think we are going to finish 1st in rushing like last year
        But I think are running game will be effective

Comment

At practice today they have run plenty of mcgahee and ball. The running game will be fine. Of course it won't be as good numbers wise because they won't be running 50 times a game. Remeber folks, balance is a good thing. I know some of you have forgotten how good the forward pass can be, but sit back and enjoy it.

Comment

New Orleans was 5th in rushing yards.

Drew Brees is obviously a pass first QB, not a mobile QB.

According to the author of this post, there's no way NO can run the ball because they don't have a running threat QB.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

*Affect*

I disagree as well. If anything, our running game will be more effective because the box won't be loaded the entire time. Less rushing yardage is to be expected because of the offensive balance that we all anticipate, but I expect a higher YPC average for all of our runningbacks and higher 3rd down conversion %

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

From camp reports I have been reading we are running a lot of PA
                This to me indicates we will still be a balanced offense
                Fox knows how to run the ball and Magazu is still oen of the best Oline coaches

Comment

grammar police
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

The threat of PM opens up the running game. The biggest threat is that PM will have the option to either run the ball on 1st down or do a quick slant pass to the sidelines which is essential the same thing. PM gives us more options overall because his ability to make different types of passes. I think with McGahee, they have to respect both the pass and run. After the first few games, most teams were no longer fooled by the read option after the Patriots had shown how to shut it down. Main reason why we beat Pittsburgh was because their coaches did not did respect the long ball. I really believe that the read option was over about 3-4 weeks before the season was over.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
                      First of all having a good running game is really not that important anymore
                      I mean the Giants were below average during the season last year I believe

Second you also dont need a scrambling qb to have an effective running game
                      Yes Peyton is going to beat defenses with his legs, but we should have more lanes to run through
                      No more stacked boxes anymore, McGahee and company should be getting 7 man fronts to run against

I do not think we are going to finish 1st in rushing like last year
                      But I think are running game will be effective
                      That is true but I don't believe your assumption is quite accurate. Yes, the Giants were 31st ranked run team in the league last year with 89 yards/game. However, they barely got into the playoffs. Once in the playoffs they average 116 yards/game which would have put them in the middle of the pack.

5 of the 12 playoff teams were top 10 in rushing. 2 of the 4 finalists were top 10. T%he 4 teams that made the championship round were 49ers with Gore (8th ranked) Baltimore with Rice (10th), NE (20th) and NYG (31st). But as I said, NYG greatly improved their run game during the postseason.

I agree that the run game is not nearly as important as it once was but it is still a very important piece of the offense.
                      Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I personally think we are going to be a run first team in 2012.

What I think the coaches will do is use PM's brain to get us out of bad run plays. Either call a different run play that can take advantage of a defense or call a passing play.

Elway won super bowls with a great running game. When PM won a Super Bowl he had to backs that almost totaled 2k yards in rushing combined.

I know people talk allot of passing attacks and throwing 40 times a game but do not be surprised if we are running the ball more then passing.

Defenses will have to load up to stop the run and this is when PM will tear them up with easy throws.

IMO in 2012 we will still be a top 10 rushing team
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                          New Orleans was 5th in rushing yards.

Drew Brees is obviously a pass first QB, not a mobile QB.

According to the author of this post, there's no way NO can run the ball because they don't have a running threat QB.
                          I've read the OP several times now and I'm not getting from it what you got from it.

What I get from it is the guessing game created by the option helped mask the inferior play of Beadles and Walton. Which, I would agree with. Tebow made the O-line look like a better run blocking team than they were, just like PM will make them look like a better pass blocking team than they are.

I fear we may struggle running the ball not because of Manning but because our linemen aren't that great to begin with. Beadles is the better of the two but neither is great. I'm hoping for better but we'll see.
                          Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

The Colts were 12th in rushing efficiency (DVOA) in 2010 with Manning. They dropped to 22nd without him.

Peyton calls plays at the LOS so he will call runs that have favorable match ups against the defense.
                            "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

The 2011 rushing attack included Option series from under Center and Direct Snap/Shotgun, but there was much more to it than the Option. For 2012, the Option series will be dropped leaving the non-Option rushing attack for PM to call, and he will call plenty of runs.

2011 was run heavy; 546 rush, 429 pass. 2012 will be balanced. Total rushing yards will be down due to fewer attempts, but as long as ypa stays around 4.8 it will be fine. Beadles and Walton are good run blockers who need to improve their pass blocking.

Total offense will go up in 2012 due to more pass attempts and ypa. 2011 was 5.2 ypa, barely more than the rushing ypa. More pass attempts with ypa at 7 or better should produce about a thousand yards or more than last year.

Calling O & D from the sideline or box is guessing. It's informed guessing due to scouting and film study, but it's still guessing. The luxury of 40 seconds between plays gives PM plenty of time to call a formation, see how the D lines up and choose between run or pass. Calling plays at LOS removes much of the guesswork.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X