Drayton Florence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drayton Florence

What's the scoop on this guy. How "big" of a FA signing was this?

I read u29's report and I know he's been battling it out with Harris for our 3rd CB spot, but personally I like Harris a lot. What is our plan for Drayton?

If I remember correctly he's a pretty big CB right? Did we bring him in to help stop TEs? How did he fair against Gronk / Hernandez when he was in Buf?

Not a HUGE signing, but he's a good player.

He'll either be 3rd or 4th CB with Harris.

He could matchup with TE's, he's got the size to do so.

Comment

Read somewhere he was penalized allot last year. Maybe it was a bad year, maybe coaches can work with him on his technique.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Carlos Rogers was let go by the Redskins because he couldn't hold up in coverage at all. 2 years and a new pass rush later and he's paid and doing well.

Hopefully our pass rush can do similar things for Drayton Florence and he's able to use his experience and knowledge to his advantage.
        Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Drayton brings something we've lacked and that's a physical corner who can match up well with bigger, stronger receivers.

He's not afraid of contact, and part of the reason he's been burned/penalized in recenter years is because he's asked to do a lot of bumping and pressing...and the Bills safety play just hasn't been that good.

I also don't think he'll be slotted specifically to nickel, or anywhere. This will be a CB group by committee this year...Porter, Harris and Florence will get an assignment each game that suits their unique skills sets. I don't think it's as simple as one being a #2, or a #3, as I think there will be some variation in the lineups this year.

Solid addition to a secondary that struggled to tackle people at times last year.

Comment

From what they've said on the radio, in training camp Drayton Florence plays outside in the nickel set and Tracy Porter slides into the slot.

The move was definitely aimed at replacing Chris Harris and upgrading the nickel cornerback position.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
              From what they've said on the radio, in training camp Drayton Florence plays outside in the nickel set and Tracy Porter slides into the slot.

The move was definitely aimed at replacing Chris Harris and upgrading the nickel cornerback position.
              I can see why you would want an upgrade across the board. But let's not downplay Harris.

He was just too good against guys like Welker, Breaston, etc. to completely write him off. He had the 11th highest overall coverage grade in the NFL last year (Pro Football Focus) from the position that allows the worst coverage grades (31% of WR yardage came from the slot last year). He struggled a few games, but was overall very good. Not for a rookie, undrafted player, guy who joined the team 6 weeks before the season started, or someone thrown to the wolves due to injuries. But for ANYONE.

Chris Harris was one of the most pleasant surprises on our team last year, and he'll play a significant role on this team. Luckily, this town's big enough for Champ, Florence, Porter, Harris and even Bolden to be big factors due to how prolific the passing game is.

I seriously hope there is one late rounder or UDFA in camp right now that can be even half the player Harris was last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakka27 View Post

I read u29's report and I know he's been battling it out with Harris for our 3rd CB spot, but personally I like Harris a lot. What is our plan for Drayton?

If I remember correctly he's a pretty big CB right? Did we bring him in to help stop TEs? How did he fair against Gronk / Hernandez when he was in Buf?
                it would be hard to evaluate his perfromance in Buffalo, those D-backs were hung out to cover for a longtime since the Bills D-Line got zero pressure last year. McKelvin got roasted for some big gains last year, but when you are covering a guy for an eternity, you will gove up some plays.

Bills fans were mixed on seeing him go. They did draft a CB very high, so the writing was on the wall...
                A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

From the reports I have read Harris has been ballin in camp. He is not conceeding the nickel spot by any means. I think Florence could be good against tight ends. He is a bigger, more physical corner. It looks like Porter has the #2 spot on lockdown, and my guess is Harris and Florence will sub in and out based on the matchups.

Overall we seem to have a very deep corner group

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanrivers View Post
                    I seriously hope there is one late rounder or UDFA in camp right now that can be even half the player Harris was last year.
                    I've been hearing great things about both Danny Trevathan and Malik Jackson.

EDIT: Disregard, I skipped over the UDFA part
                    2013 Packers GM - Check my profile for trade block and draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by skate_d3 View Post
                      I've been hearing great things about both Danny Trevathan and Malik Jackson.
                      I expected Jackson to contribute. He was disruptive in college, and that tends to be the theme JDR wants in his players. High-motor, disruptive guys.

Danny looks like he can play that role, too. Mohamed may be the odd man out in the LB corps. I like DJ and think he gives us the best chance to win...but it will be interesting if Trevathan and Woodyard play well enough to earn DJ a spot on the trading block for a 7th round pick before the trade deadline. It's hard to tell if Fox and Elway want to move forward with him or not. Especially considering that he would be valuable later in the season and in the playoffs. We shall see.

I expect both the guys you mentioned to make the team.If one of them winds up a consistent 3rd down/nickel contributor like Harris did, I will be very happy, as I'm sure most Broncos fan will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakka27 View Post

What he is, is a solid cover corner, capable of playing very close man coverage and can either compete with Harris for the nickel slot or if either Porter or Champ goes down he can step into their spot and play solid coverage.

This year our offense wants to score points early so we aren't playing from behind and force opposing offenses to throw a lot. That means we can throw a tough pass rush at them and if we play close man coverage on the outside and the slot, we can perhaps force some turnovers. This is the first time in my memory we have had such a solid group of cover corners on the team at one time.
                        You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

I'll always cheer for Drayton, he delivered us Bills fans the most exciting play in a decade when he picked off Tom Brady for a pick 6 this year. That being said, Drayton is not a great player by any means. Hes slow and because of that he constantly picks up penalties because he desperately is trying to get back to the receiver to prevent a big play. Drayton seems to always be there when a big secondary play is needed, but as a cover corner, youll love him about 4 games a year and shake your head in disappointment the rest.
                          "Something special is about to go down and I want to be a part of it." - FJ

Comment

Working...
                          X