This Is The Time For Ayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is The Time For Ayers

When Robert Ayers was selected by the Broncos, Mike Mayock had a good feel about his future. He believed Ayers might just be the Defensive pick of the draft, but not necessarily early on in his career. A bit of a late bloomer of sorts, but worth the wait.

Some folks here have talked about him like he's a bust. I don't like the word, or the concept.....unless of course someone throws it all away. In Ayers' case, I felt it quite unfair. Dliners take time. And yes, possibly he's a late bloomer after all, one who needs time to adjust.

Last year he showed promise. He is learning the game. Some stats show that he is an effective defender. I wish someone could dig up those stats (MUG used to distribute them). I believe they rated him quite high in terms of what was expected of him. And those 2 sacks against the Steelers and 3 solo tackles didn't look too bad either, especially in a key playoff game.

I believe this is the year that Ayers breaks through, and gets the recognition he deserves. And if that were to happen, imagine the impact it will have on a defensive line that many of us still have concerns about. And as far as that goes, I have a good feeling that JDR will provide Ayers with all the support he needs to take that next step in his development and maturity. This could well be a very "good news" story for us and our Broncos!

Cmon Robert.......we're behind you bud!!!:thumb:

I think he'll continue to progress now in his second full season at his true DE position.

Comment

The DE position is a much more natural position for Ayers. He played much better there than as a linebacker. Hopefully he can continue to progress and continue to be stout against the run, while also getting pressure on the QB. I don't expect him to be a double digit sack master; but I want to continue to see his pressures which can lead to sack situations for DOOM and/or Miller.

Comment

I also believe with the help of Ty Warren and Derek Wolfe Ayers will do quite well with pressuring opposing offenses. Barring any injuries to any of these men of course.

Comment

Dumervil is the most complete DE we have, and he's still mainly a pass rusher. If Ayers doesn't become a quality DE, against the run as well as the pass, then I think we should trade him and draft Bjoern Werner.

Comment

I like Ayers, but this is the year he needs to really step it up. He showed what he could do against the Steelers. I really hope to see much more of that this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
              Dumervil is the most complete DE we have, and he's still mainly a pass rusher. If Ayers doesn't become a quality DE, against the run as well as the pass, then I think we should trade him and draft Bjoern Werner.
              ???

Ayers isn't spectacular, but he does his job and sets the edge nicely. His pass rushing has also come along...especially considering he shot the B gap A LOT last year to free up Von on the outside. It was also his first year playing his natural position. He plays with a high motor and intensity and does his job about as well as anyone on the team.

He is becoming a quality DE, so I doubt we draft someone who has never played a down in the NFL and start the process of developing him all over again. It makes no sense. I like Warner, but there's no way you can definitively say he has more talent/upside than Ayers did coming out of Tennessee.

You don't trade away promising talent just because they aren't Pro-Bowlers in their first few years...only to draft other promising talent in hopes that they will pan out better, earlier. Especially along the offensive and defensive lines. And especially when the player in question hasn't played his position but a year.

Sheesh...let's just get rid of everyone on the team and start over. That's not directed specifically towards you, but I have no idea why some people's first reaction to a player not being GREAT is to trade them. It's like with DJ Williams. He's been consistent as you could ask for given the changes in DC's, schemes and positions and people act like he's supposed to be an All-Pro every year.

And then we trade a guy like Eddie Royal who couldn't get separation on an NFL CB to save his life since 2008...and people are disappointed.

Being a armchair GM is tough.

Comment

The thing with Ayers is everyone looks down on him because of where he was drafted...Everyone expects (very unfairly I think) him to be like doom out there attacking the QB and getting sacks, that's not his position, he's out there to set the edge he's never going to have flashy stats like people expect based off where we took him (blame McD for that not him, he can't help his draft position) I think he showed a lot of promise last year and if people would lower the bar a little bit and forget about where we took him they'd see he is someone who could do well in his position for years to come.
                sigpic

Comment

4th year in a row we've said that Robert Ayers should become a dominant force.

He's not going to break out IMO. He had his chance last season with Dumervil and Miller causing havoc, and he just managed a measly 3 sacks. We've seen the best of Robert Ayers. He's a solid run defender and nothing else.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post

He's not going to break out IMO. He had his chance last season with Dumervil and Miller causing havoc, and he just managed a measly 3 sacks. We've seen the best of Robert Ayers. He's a solid run defender and nothing else.
                    I've never heard that. The only thing I heard up until last year was that Ayers wasn't a natural OLB, even for the 3-4. And that he looked a lot better with his hand in the dirt. Most people were right.

He didn't have a lot of sacks because he was often responsible for occupying 1 or 2 of the passblockers on Von's side. Your 4-3 SDE isn't going to have a lot of sacks when he's playing the role of a 3-4 DE on passing downs. DE's in 3 man fronts don't get sacks often.

And you conveniently left out that he had 3 sacks in the final 3 games of the season. 2 of which, in the Pittsburgh game, were at crucial moments --- the 3rd down sack in the 4th quarter in particular..

Put on the game tape and watch how many times he actually "rushed" the passer. He was used as a body basically to Von's benefit.

How many 4-3 SDE's in the league play on a team where the SAM backer is the primary pass rusher on that side of the field? It's a unique situation, and I think you have to look at the big picture.

A guy who plays with a motor and can set the edge in the run game is something you don't just get rid of because he has low sack numbers that a OLB is accounting for anyway.

Comment

Ayers is never going to be a sack racker. He wasn't in college, and won't be in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanrivers View Post
                        A guy who plays with a motor and can set the edge in the run game is something you don't just get rid of because he has low sack numbers that a OLB is accounting for anyway.
                        When did I say that Robert Ayers sucks? When did I say that we should get rid of him?

All I said was that we've seen the best of Robert Ayers already, and he won't be having a "break out" season (considering his role and his inability to provide consistent pressure).

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

break out doesnt neccissarily mean high sack count. If he is performing his role on the team at a high level, causing disruptions, and doing what is asked, then he can be a very effective player.

Comment

When did I say that Robert Ayers sucks? When did I say that we should get rid of him?

All I said was that we've seen the best of Robert Ayers already, and he won't be having a "break out" season (considering his role and his inability to provide consistent pressure).
                            You are correct. That is what you said.

I suppose I was going off on a tangent at the general idea of getting rid of a player just because he was taken with a high draft pick and isn't a Pro Bowler.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanrivers View Post
                              You are correct. That is what you said.

I suppose I was going off on a tangent at the general idea of getting rid of a player just because he was taken with a high draft pick and isn't a Pro Bowler.
                              He's not much of a playmaker either. I understand he doesn't rush the passer very well but at least show us some TFLs or something if you're a great run defender. He just needs to become a playmaker and I'm not talking about AFTER the regular season.

He is very much replaceable whether you choose to believe it or not. He's a poor man's Justin Tuck

Comment

Working...
                              X