Manning's Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning's Arm

I am tired of ESPN making it sound like Peyton's arm strength could be a problem. For those of you out there at camp is this something to worry about or just the usual ESPN propaganda to lure viewers in?
    Kyle Orton Army Fan Club Member #124
    Team Tebow Member #1215:go:

Peyton never was touted as a man with a cannon arm.
    He brings brains, timing and accuracy.
    Quick reads, quick decisions, quick release.
    That trumps guys with cannon arms and high INT stats.

ESPN.
    Always has been east coat biased.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
    http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
    My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Judging by reports and watching the training camp coverage/footage, I don't think we'll have anything to worry about when September rolls around.

I can promise you one thing. Peyton will probably not look that sharp his first couple of preseason games. Offense is just ugly that early in the season, especially when you combine actual game speed with his relatively unfamiliarity with our receiving corps. And this board will be in full-on meltdown mode. The Tebow sympathizers will come out en masse to tell us what a mistake we've made. There will be blood. August is not going to be a fun time around here.

And then, in Week 1, Peyton comes out looks just like PMFM.

Comment

I've been to two practices and am not concerned. Manning has plenty of zip on his short/intermediate throws, and yesterday he hit Decker on a pass that traveled 40-45 yards through the air. We aren't going to throw a lot of deep balls every game, but we will do it well enough to keep any defense honest.

Comment

ESPN's trademark story fabrications.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

It also does not help that Mike Klis keeps saying that Manning's arm is still 75-80%. How does he know what his arm strength was before? If anything, his overall conditioning is at 75-80% but should not just be his arm only.
            We are going with Plan A

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
              I've been to two practices and am not concerned. Manning has plenty of zip on his short/intermediate throws, and yesterday he hit Decker on a pass that traveled 40-45 yards through the air. We aren't going to throw a lot of deep balls every game, but we will do it well enough to keep any defense honest.
              This.

I saw a stat somewhere (I think from ItsAllOverFatMan) that said the Colts only ATTEMPTED 5 passes of more than 40 yards in 2010.

Comment

Don't listen to ESPN and don't listen to any Manning quotes either. He's a perfectionist, and while he isn't back where he was in say 2004, he's still pretty darn good. He should be at 95% for sure by week 1 (I know doing %s is hilarious, like how in the world do people come up with these), and that will be good enough. Will that 5% ever come back? Who knows. He's dealing with nerve regeneration as well as just old age (football wise). But Manning at 95% and with 14 years of experience can win a SB. I personally think Manning from 09-10 was him at his best. What he did with an essentially brand new cast of recievers (Collie, Garcon, White, Tamme) was utterly amazing. And Manning was able to make some throws I've never seen before. He was more accurate than I've ever seen in the past. One of the best throws all time imo was to Collie in the jets game in the 2009-2010 playoffs. It was a beautiful 45-50 yard bomb that was 2 inches from being interecepted by the guy in front of collie or by the guy behind him. Imo, Manning will perform at an MVP level this year, and I do expect him to compete for the actual MVP award.

Comment

Peyton will be fine. He never had a cannon and threw wobblers from time to time.

Comment

I Saw a Stat on Numbers Never Lie that said Peyton attempted the most passes over 30 yards in the league over his last three years. Numbers can say a lot of things. Either way, I dont think we'll be slinging it for bombs every down, but I think we'll throw some in when we need to. Peyton's bombs are usually wide open ones too, because he caught the defense napping or faked them out with some good pump fakes or play action.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSheriff View Post
                      I Saw a Stat on Numbers Never Lie that said Peyton attempted the most passes over 30 yards in the league over his last three years. Numbers can say a lot of things. Either way, I dont think we'll be slinging it for bombs every down, but I think we'll throw some in when we need to. Peyton's bombs are usually wide open ones too, because he caught the defense napping or faked them out with some good pump fakes or play action.
                      From a numbers standpoint, you can attempt the most passes in the league over 30 yards and still have few attempts over 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Ettersbronco View Post
                        I am tired of ESPN making it sound like Peyton's arm strength could be a problem. For those of you out there at camp is this something to worry about or just the usual ESPN propaganda to lure viewers in?
                        meh, they need to print something....

I hope everybody thinks he is weaker... it will make their suprised faces that much more fun...
                        A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

I know just saying numbers can portray things in the light you want it portrayed in. If you measure deep by 40+, Manning doesnt throw it deep. If you measure it by 30+, Manning always throws it deep. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. But like I said, we'll throw it deep when the opening is there to do so.

Comment

I saw this stat on the Colts board:

It seems like it fits here:

As others have sad 41+ he's not throwing it all that often. 6 times in the last 48 regular season games.

31+ he's thrown it more than the other top QB's
                            21+ Again, he's thrown it more than the other top QB's.

Since 2002 Manning has only thrown 37 passes over 41 + yards.
                            Since 2002 Manning has thrown thrown 247 passes over 31+ yards or 1.72 attempts per game over that time frame.

To expand on that thought.
                            Roughly half(49.6) of Manning's attempts over that 144 game span have been between 1-10 yards.
                            63.4% have been less than 10 yards.
                            87.9% have been less than 20 yards.

Those totals include the 4.5 years prior to his injury and the 4.5 years after his injury.

There was a bit of a shift after the injury.

He will move the chains, convert 3rd downs and put points on the scoreboard.

Comment

Originally posted by allthings18 View Post
                              I saw this stat on the Colts board:

It seems like it fits here:

As others have sad 41+ he's not throwing it all that often. 6 times in the last 48 regular season games.

31+ he's thrown it more than the other top QB's
                              21+ Again, he's thrown it more than the other top QB's.

Since 2002 Manning has only thrown 37 passes over 41 + yards.
                              Since 2002 Manning has thrown thrown 247 passes over 31+ yards or 1.72 attempts per game over that time frame.

To expand on that thought.
                              Roughly half(49.6) of Manning's attempts over that 144 game span have been between 1-10 yards.
                              63.4% have been less than 10 yards.
                              87.9% have been less than 20 yards.

Those totals include the 4.5 years prior to his injury and the 4.5 years after his injury.

There was a bit of a shift after the injury.

He will move the chains, convert 3rd downs and put points on the scoreboard.
                              Bingo. Thanks for posting.

I said 5 attempts over 41, but it was actually 6. He only completed 1.

I wonder how easy it would be for Manning to come out on playaction and for Thomas to fake a quick screen, and run upfield, shoving the defender out of his way. Manning has the anticipation to put that right down the sideline. And Thomas is fast enough where the hesitating safety would not have an angle to defend the pass or make the tackle. 6 points.

I'll let Peyton and Mike McCoy handle that stuff, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X