Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defensive rookies could make or break us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive rookies could make or break us...

I'm super excited for this season, probably more excited then I've ever been. I'm going to miss the players we lost but am pumped about those that we brought in.

I've convinced myself that we are gonna have an awesome offense. I'm really not to worried on that front. My concern is with our defense. We already had some holes that needed fixing...a problem that was compounded by offseason troubles with dumervil . Im not up to speed on that situation but if Doom misses a significant amount of time our d-line is in trouble, especially considering Bunk left. Bringing in Adams and Porter should help our secondary but doesn't address the D-line issues.

So what I'm getting at is our defensive ability (and therefore our season) hinges upon Wolfe and Jackson and how well they can perform. We desperately need depth on the line and if those two can step up we'll be in decent shape. Hopefully Trevathan will be a stud too. Seriously these rookies could be the difference between a mediocre team and a great team. Thoughts?
    /Users/stevennelson/Desktop/130104092350_rex-ryan-tattoo.jpg Jets!Jets!Jets!

Disagree, we have a lot of talent with the vets. I mean, just look at all the free agency pickups

Comment

I am still a little concerned with the O-Line especially in the middle. Also if Franklin or Clady get hurt we could be in big trouble. I also hope Kuper regains his strength in his leg after rehabbing the past 5 months. I am confident in the rest of the offense so time will tell if some other players step up their play.

As far as defense, there are definitely some questions and those are at LB & line.

I think the pickup of Adams, Porter, and Florence were huge, and the experience that Harris, Moore, & Carter got last year with camp this year will do wonders for our secondary.

Now the questions.

LB Arguably one of our best LB Williams is out for the first 6 games, and maybe more. Who fills in that spot? Woodyard is the favorite but it wouldn't surprise me to see Travathen out work Woodyard. There have also been questions about Mays but personally I think Mays will do an excellent job at MLB.

Now the biggest concern which I feel is the D-line. We have the whole Doom issue out there and we will not know anything until next month how it could change our defense. We are also putting a lot of faith in several players coming off pretty big injuries last year in Warren and Vickerson. We are also putting a lot of faith in Bannan who is probably ok but he is getting older at the age of 33.

Now throw in some rookies like Jackson, Siliga and Wolfe and there is a pretty big question mark on the d-line. Who knows, these guys may surprise the heck out of us but until I see something it is hard to tell.

As usual I am always optimistic at the start of each season but only time will tell.

sigpic
      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Ty Warren being healthy, and big VIck being back to his normal weight will have far more of an impact on how this defense does than what the rookies do.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradomedic View Post
          Ty Warren being healthy, and big VIck being back to his normal weight will have far more of an impact on how this defense does than what the rookies do.
          I have no faith in Warren or Vickerson. Wolfe is the key imho. I'm hoping JDR can help everyone reach their potential. Still, won't know anything for sure until the season starts...can't freakin wait.
          /Users/stevennelson/Desktop/130104092350_rex-ryan-tattoo.jpg Jets!Jets!Jets!

Comment

Originally posted by orangenightmare View Post
            I have no faith in Warren or Vickerson. Wolfe is the key imho. I'm hoping JDR can help everyone reach their potential. Still, won't know anything for sure until the season starts...can't freakin wait.
            If you don't have faith in Warren or Vickerson, you're going to be disappointed.

Derek Wolfe is only going to be playing DT in situational roles. He's simply not big enough/developed enough to anchor in the run game at that positon. Expect to see him at SDE on running downs rotating with Robert Ayers.

At DT..Vickerson, Warren, Bannan and Unrein/Siliga are who we got. It is what it is. But I wouldn't get my hopes up that Wolfe comes in and becomes some kind of run stuffer. He was drafted to be a penetrating, pass rushing DL...and to help out on run defense on early downs. At least until he can put on some weight/get stronger.

Comment

No they can't. We're made regardless. It's called "We Have Peyton Manning" syndrome.
              Denver Broncos GM
              Originally posted by Mosk
              Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Our rookies wont contribute anything significant this season.....None will start and few will even see the field in anything but mop up garbage time
                Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Keys on D for me are Ty and Rahim, along with someone stepping in for DJ. If the two mentioned can become play makers, we should be very good...health permitting.
                  Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                    Our rookies wont contribute anything significant this season.....None will start and few will even see the field in anything but mop up garbage time
                    I think Hillman and Trevathan will be the exception to this.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm super excited for this season, probably more excited then I've ever been. I'm going to miss the players we lost but am pumped about those that we brought in.

I've convinced myself that we are gonna have an awesome offense. I'm really not to worried on that front. My concern is with our defense. We already had some holes that needed fixing...a problem that was compounded by offseason troubles with dumervil . Im not up to speed on that situation but if Doom misses a significant amount of time our d-line is in trouble, especially considering Bunk left. Bringing in Adams and Porter should help our secondary but doesn't address the D-line issues.
                      You do know that Bunk was third string, right? Behind Ty Warren and Vickerson, both who went out early with season ending injuries and forcing Bunkley into a starting role? We have both back now and we have brought in Wolfe, who will be developing.

So what I'm getting at is our defensive ability (and therefore our season) hinges upon Wolfe and Jackson and how well they can perform. We desperately need depth on the line and if those two can step up we'll be in decent shape. Hopefully Trevathan will be a stud too. Seriously these rookies could be the difference between a mediocre team and a great team. Thoughts?
                      Well, we do need depth on the line and that will take some time, but much of the problems we had last year stopping the run in the middle could be traced to poor tackling by the MLB and the safety. Those are areas being worked on in training camp. Not saying that our D-line is wonderful, but I agree with Elway that it's not nearly as bad as some have been saying here. I think Del Rio will go a long way to improve our D-line play and more importantly, our LB and safety play as well.
                      You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                        I think Hillman and Trevathan will be the exception to this.
                        Hillman yes. Since Travathan plays on the weak side, he may get some playing time during DJ's suspension but I doubt he sees the field much other than special teams after that, at least this year, and it's possible DJ might not be back next year, depending on how his DUI trial goes.
                        You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

LOL! No. Our defensive ability and our season do not depend on 3 rookies who are part-time players at this point. Team game.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                            Hillman yes. Since Travathan plays on the weak side, he may get some playing time during DJ's suspension but I doubt he sees the field much other than special teams after that, at least this year, and it's possible DJ might not be back next year, depending on how his DUI trial goes.
                            agreed.........
                            sigpic

Comment

Wolfe has been solid in camp so far, and I expect him to get better and have an impact as the season goes on.

There's still a chance some other guys like Trevathan - and maybe Omar Bolden - can help us this year. It's a bit early to tell though. We need to see some of these rookies in preseason games before we can make any predictions on what they may contribute in year 1.

I know a lot of scouts loved Derek Wolfe and he was a described as a guy who's going to be 'very good' and a 'diamond in the rough'.

Omar Bolden was also described as a 'first round talent' who fell due to his ACL injury.

The talent is there, but let's see if they put it together in year 1.
                              sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Working...
                              X