Soft Training Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Training Camp?

What do you think? Has training camp become too soft with the current CBA? I'd like to get opinions from some fans that go to training camp every year. Can you notice any difference? I'm watching the videos and I don't see a lot of "live action" with players running and hitting at full speed.

Karl Mecklenburg talked about this issue recently:

http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/t...spx?ID=1748026

A soft practice might keep the players healthy for a while, but I don't think you can hide from the violent nature of pro football. The preseason games will introduce game speed and real hits, and I fear the players won't be prepared. I see players jogging during the practice "highlights" and they are not tackling. The rules have changed. Multiple QBs are throwing for 5000+ yards. Defenders can't hit like in the past. Less practices with pads.

Maybe some fundamentals of the game are deteriorating. Tackling skills. Angles of pursuit. Toughness. Training camp becomes soft, then the offense starts the season much more prepared than the defense. Rain of TDs. Rahim Moore, for example, is playing the the 1st team, showing renewed confidence, but is he making tackles against RBs at full speed?

How is the intensity of this training camp compared, for example, to McDaniels' training camps in 2009-2010?
    sigpic

I haven't been to camp yet this season but yes, I do think they are getting way to easy. With only 1 practice/day I don't think they get the reps needed to fully be at game readiness.

I saw this last season when I went to TC a lot and thought, OMG, they are going to start the season looking like this? They have had about 2 weeks + OTAs to get ready for their first game. H.S has more time than that.
    sigpic

Comment

Yea I think Camps in general are much softer today then they were in the Days of the Albino Rhino

I do know some are more hard then others, sounds like the 49ers are running a more hard camp then most but still no where near as tough as the 80s.

Not sure if it helps or hurts teams. Know since even in the 80s older players would not be pushed as hard to save their bodies.

Would think it would help rookies who hit the rookie wall....

Ultimately I do not know near enough to have an informed opinion about this.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I remember reading Ronnie Hillman saying college training camp was harder

Comment

I think it's fine. No need to get your players all banged up. This team played physical last year, and for the most part it's the same team. The new guys who will be starting all have experience.
          The Eagles are having a very physical camp, with many fights breaking out, which imo is something that is needed for that particular team but not ours.

Comment

Only mike shanahan ran camp snoopy. Those powder puff days have long past with the departure of the old reign

Comment

Ya it sucks for all you guys show up to the camp but I would rather them take it easy in training camp so we can have all our guys fresh forthe season. Were already out DJ. Good thing we have great depth at linebacker.

Comment

They have been practicing in pads for several days. Preseason opener is at Chicago this Thursday. Travel on Wed. or Thursday? I heard they have a full scrimmage on Sat. That leaves four days of no/light contact prior to gameday. That sounds about right.

Special Teams need to be run at full speed with full contact at least a little.

Conditioning should be daily at the conclusion of practice.

They still have a lot of players in TC (c.90), so the reps are spread for a lot of guys. Figure one full scrimmage prior to each preseason game. There will be some full contact in position drills, especially for linemen.

At some point in the offseason there was disagreement between the NFLPA and the NFL on a requirement for all players to wear full protective equipment. I've thought for a long time this would prevent some injuries.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Yeah it is a lot softer now than before but still I would rather have less contact in practice and save it for the games. Unfortunately guys are going to get hurt regardless so I would rather start as healthy as possible than be nicked up when we start cause we had extra contact in practice!

Comment

I'll trade a soft training camp for a guy like Elvis Dumervil getting hurt again.

All the teams (supposedly) have to play by the same rules. So it's not as if one team is at a disadvantage when it comes to tackling effectiveness/timing.

You also have to remember that these are pros...and that they all tend to catch on pretty quickly once they're thrown into action.

Comment

As long as they are working on their conditioning so they do not get injuries like Hammys, strains, and pulls. It would be nice if they could work on tackling a little bit more. Unfortunately you do not want to hurt the O players or the D players.

Get out the tackling dummies.
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Sure it's a lot softer, but I think it's better this way. These are professional athletes who've been playing football their entire lives, and I think they know the preparation it takes for a long season. The preseason games should be plenty to prepare them for the hitting in the regular season.

I don't know about you guys, but I got tired of the years when we had guys dropping like flies in training camp. It's soon, but I'd be willing to bet that injuries in camp will drop drastically from what they used to be. I'm happy with that.
                        sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                          I haven't been to camp yet this season but yes, I do think they are getting way to easy. With only 1 practice/day I don't think they get the reps needed to fully be at game readiness.

I saw this last season when I went to TC a lot and thought, OMG, they are going to start the season looking like this? They have had about 2 weeks + OTAs to get ready for their first game. H.S has more time than that.
                          At the same time, how many players have we lost in the past five seasons because they sustained a season ending injury in training camp and weren't available during the season at all? I agree that they need to work hard on conditioning, but I cringe at the thought of losing a key player in a nothing practice.
                          You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                            At the same time, how many players have we lost in the past five seasons because they sustained a season ending injury in training camp and weren't available during the season at all? I agree that they need to work hard on conditioning, but I cringe at the thought of losing a key player in a nothing practice.
                            Bingo. I think less contact in practice will drastically cut down on that.

The players do too or they wouldn't have bargained for it in the CBA.
                            sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

I don't attend camp but based on Manning's interviews, it seems like Peyton isn't really happy about the new rules. Nor is Fox even though he will follow the rules.

I think it really sucks that rules are in place to keep a team from out working other teams.

The good thing is that all teams have to follow these rules so it's not like it's unfair.
                              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Working...
                              X