Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samparnell
    replied
    Apparently coaches got little or no input in the new CBA. Whether that's good or bad depends on one's point-of-view.

Leave a comment:

• TennesseeVol
    replied
    Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
    The Quarterbacks don't get hit regardless in camp, so I can see why they don't like the new rules.
    I assume you meant to type "can't see why" they don't like the new rules. Manning actually LOVES to practice. If he were in charge and there were no union rules to contend with, he'd probably have everybody working from dawn till dusk (or until everybody collapsed from exhaustion) so it's probably good that he doesn't have that power. He doesn't like the new rules because they further restrict the number of repetitions he can get. He has been successful in the past because, with enough practice, he can throw the ball to reach an exact spot in an exact number of seconds after the snap. The receiver needs to be able to reach that same exact spot in the exact same number of seconds, every time. The less reps they both get together, the less likely it is that that will happen and the likelyhood of an incomplete pass or interception increases.

Leave a comment:

• Lomax
    replied
    Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
    I don't attend camp but based on Manning's interviews, it seems like Peyton isn't really happy about the new rules. Nor is Fox even though he will follow the rules.

I think it really sucks that rules are in place to keep a team from out working other teams.

The good thing is that all teams have to follow these rules so it's not like it's unfair.
    Veteran teams are at an advantage. They don't have as much need for 2-a-days and padded practices. Teams with new coaches, systems, or a young core of players suffer the most.

I can see how it would hurt our team more than, say, the Chargers. The Raiders are installing a new offense so it doesn't help them much either.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
    At the same time, how many players have we lost in the past five seasons because they sustained a season ending injury in training camp and weren't available during the season at all? I agree that they need to work hard on conditioning, but I cringe at the thought of losing a key player in a nothing practice.
    Why practice at all? Why not just have walk throughs?

Leave a comment:

• RaiderFanSD
    replied
    Originally posted by one5beast View Post
    I remember reading Ronnie Hillman saying college training camp was harder
    Yeah, his former teammate Miles Burris who's now with the Raiders says the 2 adays in college were definitely harder anf physically demanding

Leave a comment:

• BluenOrnge4Life
    replied
    Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
    I don't attend camp but based on Manning's interviews, it seems like Peyton isn't really happy about the new rules. Nor is Fox even though he will follow the rules.

I think it really sucks that rules are in place to keep a team from out working other teams.

The good thing is that all teams have to follow these rules so it's not like it's unfair.
    The Quarterbacks don't get hit regardless in camp, so I can see why they don't like the new rules.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BluenOrnge4Life
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
    At the same time, how many players have we lost in the past five seasons because they sustained a season ending injury in training camp and weren't available during the season at all? I agree that they need to work hard on conditioning, but I cringe at the thought of losing a key player in a nothing practice.
    Bingo. I think less contact in practice will drastically cut down on that.

The players do too or they wouldn't have bargained for it in the CBA.

Leave a comment:

• rogue719
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I haven't been to camp yet this season but yes, I do think they are getting way to easy. With only 1 practice/day I don't think they get the reps needed to fully be at game readiness.

I saw this last season when I went to TC a lot and thought, OMG, they are going to start the season looking like this? They have had about 2 weeks + OTAs to get ready for their first game. H.S has more time than that.

Leave a comment:

• BluenOrnge4Life
    replied
    Sure it's a lot softer, but I think it's better this way. These are professional athletes who've been playing football their entire lives, and I think they know the preparation it takes for a long season. The preseason games should be plenty to prepare them for the hitting in the regular season.

I don't know about you guys, but I got tired of the years when we had guys dropping like flies in training camp. It's soon, but I'd be willing to bet that injuries in camp will drop drastically from what they used to be. I'm happy with that.

Leave a comment:

• one_bad_55
    replied
    As long as they are working on their conditioning so they do not get injuries like Hammys, strains, and pulls. It would be nice if they could work on tackling a little bit more. Unfortunately you do not want to hurt the O players or the D players.

Get out the tackling dummies.

Leave a comment:

• jonathanrivers
    replied
    I'll trade a soft training camp for a guy like Elvis Dumervil getting hurt again.

All the teams (supposedly) have to play by the same rules. So it's not as if one team is at a disadvantage when it comes to tackling effectiveness/timing.

You also have to remember that these are pros...and that they all tend to catch on pretty quickly once they're thrown into action.

Leave a comment:

• darklord
    replied
    Yeah it is a lot softer now than before but still I would rather have less contact in practice and save it for the games. Unfortunately guys are going to get hurt regardless so I would rather start as healthy as possible than be nicked up when we start cause we had extra contact in practice!

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    They have been practicing in pads for several days. Preseason opener is at Chicago this Thursday. Travel on Wed. or Thursday? I heard they have a full scrimmage on Sat. That leaves four days of no/light contact prior to gameday. That sounds about right.

Special Teams need to be run at full speed with full contact at least a little.

Conditioning should be daily at the conclusion of practice.

They still have a lot of players in TC (c.90), so the reps are spread for a lot of guys. Figure one full scrimmage prior to each preseason game. There will be some full contact in position drills, especially for linemen.

At some point in the offseason there was disagreement between the NFLPA and the NFL on a requirement for all players to wear full protective equipment. I've thought for a long time this would prevent some injuries.

Leave a comment:

• Tarheel23
    replied
    Ya it sucks for all you guys show up to the camp but I would rather them take it easy in training camp so we can have all our guys fresh forthe season. Were already out DJ. Good thing we have great depth at linebacker.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X