Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Tough Is the Broncos Schedule Compared with the Rest of the West?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Tough Is the Broncos Schedule Compared with the Rest of the West?

I thought it would be interesting to compare the schedules of the Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders to see how the first through last place schedules compare. The Broncos certainly have some tough games against non-division opponents, but how many of those games are shared by the other teams?

Broncos non-division opponents in common with all AFC West Teams:

Steelers, Falcons, Bucs, Ravens, Browns. Of these the Bucs and Browns should still be patsies, the others are all playoff caliber teams. Of course some of these games are at home and others away for different teams, but they still have to line up and play the same guys.

So, let's look at the Broncos non-division opponents NOT in common with all AFC West Teams:

Texans, @Patriots
    @Patriots is probably a loss even with Manning. They are almost unbeatable at home. I'm picking the Texans to get to the AFC Championship game this year. They are solid top to bottom and they're getting Matt Schaub back. Losing him destroyed their season last year, but they are extremely tough and can really run the ball effectively the way the Broncos used to with the ZBS. Two really tough games.

Chargers instead play: Titans, @Jets.

Much weaker teams. I think the Jets are going to tank this year and Tebow is going to be a non-factor. He looked really bad in their last scrimmage, not that that means much. Titans still need an infusion of talent to compete with the top teams in the AFC.

Chiefs play: @Bills, Colts

Much of a mixed bag. Colts at Arrowhead is as close to a guaranteed win as there is in the NFL. @Bills will be a big problem as the Broncos found out last year. That is expected to be a good team and I don't see the Chiefs beating them at home.

Raiders instead play: @Dolphins, Jaguars

Clearly the worst teams. Dolphins are horrible and their off-season plans to get a QB failed miserably as QBs left and right gave them the brush-off. Jaguars are bottom feeders and Maurice Jones-Drew continues his hold-out for a new contract. He's missing a lot of the pre-season and training camp is key for getting in football shape. Jaguars are heading for trouble this year, like most years.

The Chargers and Raiders certainly would appear to have an advantage playing the weaker schedule, but this obviously cannot be said at this point to be decisive.

The Broncos can and still should win the division because they have Peyton Manning, but it certainly doesn't help playing the Texans and @Patriots while your division rival plays the Dolphins and Jaguars.

I just thought this was an interesting point to compare the differences in the schedules of each team.
    sigpic

Strength of schedual pre-season is stupid. You never know how teams will play come season time. We'll hit some good teams in a bad stretch and we'll hit some bad teams on a hot stretch.

Each game is it's own. And I don't really get caught up in SoS
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
      I thought it would be interesting to compare the schedules of the Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders to see how the first through last place schedules compare. The Broncos certainly have some tough games against non-division opponents, but how many of those games are shared by the other teams?

Broncos non-division opponents in common with all AFC West Teams:

Steelers, Falcons, Bucs, Ravens, Browns. Of these the Bucs and Browns should still be patsies, the others are all playoff caliber teams. Of course some of these games are at home and others away for different teams, but they still have to line up and play the same guys.

So, let's look at the Broncos non-division opponents NOT in common with all AFC West Teams:

Texans, @Patriots
      @Patriots is probably a loss even with Manning. They are almost unbeatable at home. I'm picking the Texans to get to the AFC Championship game this year. They are solid top to bottom and they're getting Matt Schaub back. Losing him destroyed their season last year, but they are extremely tough and can really run the ball effectively the way the Broncos used to with the ZBS. Two really tough games.

Chargers instead play: Titans, @Jets.

Much weaker teams. I think the Jets are going to tank this year and Tebow is going to be a non-factor. He looked really bad in their last scrimmage, not that that means much. Titans still need an infusion of talent to compete with the top teams in the AFC.

Chiefs play: @Bills, Colts

Much of a mixed bag. Colts at Arrowhead is as close to a guaranteed win as there is in the NFL. @Bills will be a big problem as the Broncos found out last year. That is expected to be a good team and I don't see the Chiefs beating them at home.

Raiders instead play: @Dolphins, Jaguars

Clearly the worst teams. Dolphins are horrible and their off-season plans to get a QB failed miserably as QBs left and right gave them the brush-off. Jaguars are bottom feeders and Maurice Jones-Drew continues his hold-out for a new contract. He's missing a lot of the pre-season and training camp is key for getting in football shape. Jaguars are heading for trouble this year, like most years.

The Chargers and Raiders certainly would appear to have an advantage playing the weaker schedule, but this obviously cannot be said at this point to be decisive.

The Broncos can and still should win the division because they have Peyton Manning, but it certainly doesn't help playing the Texans and @Patriots while your division rival plays the Dolphins and Jaguars.

I just thought this was an interesting point to compare the differences in the schedules of each team.
      I dont think anyone can really say that we wont have the hardest 2 games outside of common opponents. Pats will be tough, but trust me, if there is one guy that can single handedly defeat BB and Tom Brady, it's Peyton Manning. i still expect Manning to own the Texans like he always does. The biggest difference in our schedules is that we have peyton manning as qb, and they have rivers, cassel, palmer. 15-0 and then we rest our starters probalbly .......... well maybe not this year, but we'll have a 9-0 start at some point under Manning's reign, he has I think 4 of them in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
        Strength of schedual pre-season is stupid. You never know how teams will play come season time. We'll hit some good teams in a bad stretch and we'll hit some bad teams on a hot stretch.

Each game is it's own. And I don't really get caught up in SoS

True story. Who expected the Texans to do what they did last year. And also who expected the Cowboys to do as bad last year?...

Oh wait.

I did

Comment

With the exception of two games, AFCW teams have the same opponents. Sequence and venue is important as well. Sweeping division opponents and holding home field will guarantee a division championship.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

SoS is vastly overrated.

You never know what's gonna happen.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

ON paper, the schedule is a beast, but teams vary year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                ON paper, the schedule is a beast, but teams vary year to year.
                Very true, but wouldnt you agree that atm, the patriots and houston present a much harder challenge than the jets/titans or the dolphins/jags (laughable) or the bills/colts (also pretty laughable, though bills will be improved defensively on the d-line)? The only variation I see that could make us not have the harder teams is if shaub, foster, johnson, brady, welker, gronk all go down.

Comment

Manning is the greatest regular season quarterback ever. It's the playoffs we should be worried about which a tough schedule will only prepare us for.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSheriff View Post
                    Very true, but wouldnt you agree that atm, the patriots and houston present a much harder challenge than the jets/titans or the dolphins/jags (laughable) or the bills/colts (also pretty laughable, though bills will be improved defensively on the d-line)? The only variation I see that could make us not have the harder teams is if shaub, foster, johnson, brady, welker, gronk all go down.
                    Last year in the preseason, everyone had Chicago as a big loss and the Bills as a guaranteed win.

...just sayin.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

The NE/Hou games absolutely.

The other 14 games are the same except our road schedule is much harder.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                        Last year in the preseason, everyone had Chicago as a big loss and the Bills as a guaranteed win.

...just sayin.
                        Well they were right weren't they? Chicago was really good until they lost their qb and rb. The bills were pretty much a win for most teams. Dramatic injuries can happen but for the most part you can predict who is going to face the tougher competition.

Comment

Well they were right weren't they? Chicago was really good until they lost their qb and rb. The bills were pretty much a win for most teams. Dramatic injuries can happen but for the most part you can predict who is going to face the tougher competition.
                          No, they werent right.

Cutler went down and Forte a week after. The Bills curb stomped the Broncos.

Preseason SoS is pointless.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Strength of schedule is a legitimate consideration in college football; not in the 32 team pro league.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                              No, they werent right.

Cutler went down and Forte a week after. The Bills curb stomped the Broncos.

Preseason SoS is pointless.
                              Bears went 8-8, so one less win than most expected. Bills went 6-10, maybe one more win than expected.

Comment

Working...
                              X