DJ being shopped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
    Why no PS reps and no preseason reps? Seems to me with a suspension looming, you need to get him at least a little work with a new defense if you intend to use him. You don't find his absence on the field odd at all?
    That way the guys who will be playing, many who are young, will get as many practice reps as possible. I also believe the FO is not thrilled with DJ's antics so they may be sending a message as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
      That way the guys who will be playing, many who are young, will get as many practice reps as possible. I also believe the FO is not thrilled with DJ's antics so they may be sending a message as well.
      There's no point "sending a message." By this time you either keep DJ or you cut him. Remember that DJ was arrested back in 2010. His trial was delayed twice, first time due to his injury (I'm a lawyer and I still don't understand that one), and then last April due to a mistrial when his lawyer was denied the opportunity to exercise his 3rd preemptory juror challenge.

So the team has known for a LONG time that DJ was facing at least a 6 game suspension over getting caught with the "Original Whizzinator" in an attempt to fake the drug test (shades of Onterio Smith).

It could be a 10 game suspension if he's disciplined over the latest DUI.

Yet, they still haven't really made a move to sign a veteran replacement for DJ. IF they wanted to part company with him they should have done it during the FA signing period by cutting him and signing a replacement -- just like they signed Terry Porter, Drayton Florence and Mike Adams.

They could also have traded for a WLB.

But, they didn't. Not only that, but they did nothing when he put the playbook on the internet.

What can you say? DJ is a complete BONEHEAD. But, he can play. He averages 100 tackles a year and he's clearly the 2nd best LB on the team right now. The LB corps is the weakest spot on the team and if Woodyard goes down they better hope that Brooking still has something left.

They need DJ. They COULD have gotten someone in to replace him but they chose not to. Baring additional suspension time he stays.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
        There's no point "sending a message." By this time you either keep DJ or you cut him. Remember that DJ was arrested back in 2010. His trial was delayed twice, first time due to his injury (I'm a lawyer and I still don't understand that one), and then last April due to a mistrial when his lawyer was denied the opportunity to exercise his 3rd preemptory juror challenge.

So the team has known for a LONG time that DJ was facing at least a 6 game suspension over getting caught with the "Original Whizzinator" in an attempt to fake the drug test (shades of Onterio Smith).

It could be a 10 game suspension if he's disciplined over the latest DUI.

Yet, they still haven't really made a move to sign a veteran replacement for DJ. IF they wanted to part company with him they should have done it during the FA signing period by cutting him and signing a replacement -- just like they signed Terry Porter, Drayton Florence and Mike Adams.

They could also have traded for a WLB.

But, they didn't. Not only that, but they did nothing when he put the playbook on the internet.

What can you say? DJ is a complete BONEHEAD. But, he can play. He averages 100 tackles a year and he's clearly the 2nd best LB on the team right now. The LB corps is the weakest spot on the team and if Woodyard goes down they better hope that Brooking still has something left.

They need DJ. They COULD have gotten someone in to replace him but they chose not to. Baring additional suspension time he stays.
        If you choose to interpret Brooking as a sign of how weak we are then it is equally fair to interpret no signing or trading for a WLB as a confidence in Woodyard and Rookie Danny Trevanthan. I bet you 100 dollars Trevanthan makes next years roster. And that's a lot of money for me
        Denver Broncos GM
        Originally posted by Mosk
        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

I didn't think the league could punish him for an incident that took place prior to the new Players' agreement. Is this wrong information?
          sigpic
          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
            I didn't think the league could punish him for an incident that took place prior to the new Players' agreement. Is this wrong information?
            Pretty sure they're subject to discipline under both CBAs, so I'm not sure how that would prevent him from suspension.
            sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi
              I'm told the Broncos will likely keep DJ Williams no matter what. They don't have to pay him while he serves suspension. Injury insurance.
              Expand
              Reply Retweet Favorite

Comment

Zero trade value. No salary during the suspension. Teflon Dyme might stay on the roster, but this is probably his last season in Denver. I want to know what the Broncos will do with Keith Brooking... He already injured his hamstring, I even wonder if he was in football shape. I don't expect Brooking to play against the Seahawks. Does he really deserve a roster spot? Maybe it's time for a youth movement at LB. Miller, Mays, Woodyard, Irving, Mohamed, Trevathan. Steven Johnson could be the 7th LB (if necessary) to fill special teams.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                  Zero trade value. No salary during the suspension. Teflon Dyme might stay on the roster, but this is probably his last season in Denver. I want to know what the Broncos will do with Keith Brooking... He already injured his hamstring, I even wonder if he was in football shape. I don't expect Brooking to play against the Seahawks. Does he really deserve a roster spot? Maybe it's time for a youth movement at LB. Miller, Mays, Woodyard, Irving, Mohamed, Trevathan. Steven Johnson could be the 7th LB (if necessary) to fill special teams.
                  I think Brooking is here strictly as an on the field mentor.....given the number of young LBs in our lineup. If we can tap the potential of all these young guns, we will be in great shape for years to come!

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                    They sure punished the Saints for incedents that took place prior to this CBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                      I just heard on sports radio today that the team can keep DJ without using a roster spot until he comes off suspension. So, they won't need to count him on the 53 man roster OR pay him a nickel until he comes off suspension (whenever that is, after 8 or 10 games probably).

THEN they can decide to bring him in and cut someone else. This is a Win-Win.

The team can go without DJ for the beginning of the season and he'll come in and be totally fresh around week 10 or so and for the playoffs.

If by some miracle the LBs look great in his absence, then they can release him at that point and owe him nothing.

As for Brooking, we don't know exactly what he has left, but they are desperately short at LB since Woodyard's only backup other than Brooking is rookie 6th rounder Danny Trevathan. Not a good situation.

He could possibly be as good a pickup as Brian Dawkins was in terms of veteran leadership -- IF he can get healthy and IF he still can play.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton&Eli_fan View Post
                        Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi
                        I'm told the Broncos will likely keep DJ Williams no matter what. They don't have to pay him while he serves suspension. Injury insurance.
                        Expand
                        Reply Retweet Favorite
                        I missed this post, but it confirms what I just posted. They are keeping DJ because it doesn't cost them anything, neither money nor a roster spot. And he is their 2nd best LB right now. He'd be a big addition, IF he were eligible to play.
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree DJ can play. That's the only reason he's still on the roster.

It will be interesting to see how the FO moves forward with DJ past this season.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                            If we signed Brooking as a permanent replacement for DJ ... :doh:

Don't much like him as a person, love him as a player.
                            I really agree with you on this, he always has a great amount of tackles every year, very good player for Denver but I dont like him and I really do think he needs a couple of,( smart in real life), classes...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!

CP to ya!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X