Post game rants --- Chicago -- Pre-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post
    ... or will he stay as the coach's pet at #2?

The guy looks slow and one-dimensional. Severe lack of elusiveness and ability to break tackles.

Most importantly, he continues to be outperformed by those behind him.

Knowshon is a better back period. Ball will be gone be the final roster cuts.
    sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach9 View Post
      RELAX! Looked like the old Manning to me. Throwing a pick to a Gator Db. Somethings never change.
      "Old" meaning so long ago that anyone who does remember is probably "senile" by now?
      "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Comment

• Originally posted by jonathanrivers View Post
        We're celebrating because it's football season and we're excited. That and, if you've played or coached, you know that you take each game one at the time. Doesn't matter how good or bad the opponent is. This time, we dominated.

I don't give a crap if it's a scrimmage --- I want to win and dominate. We did last night.

It's just unnecessary for people to keep condescendingly telling those of us who are excited that this is preseason. WE KNOW IT'S PRESEASON BRO.

Again, I'm perfectly aware that you have to take results with a grain of salt. Doesn't mean you can't be excited. I don't keep myself from being enthusiastic for fear of being let down later. That's a crappy way to live.

Have a beer. Football's here.
        I think you misunderstood my intent of defending horseman a little. I completely understand celebrating and being happy for the win. As I am sure horseman is too.

But as you stated it should be taken one game at a time. So don't understand why you are using that argument against us. That is exactly what we are saying should be done. It's the others getting carried away and claiming top 10 NFL defense this season not us. Although I may have misunderstood your point of that.
        sigpic

Comment

• He certainly looked the part. I think Mays has a good hold of the MLB spot though. I wouldn't be opposed to Irving getting some reps on the weakside if he keeps this up though.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            Weber looked cooler because he was going against far inferior talent on the Bears defense. Guys that won't be in the NFL in a month. Weber is basically playing in a college level offense against college level defenses. Unlike what Weber went in against. And as argued by others after he settled down he actually had more success against that tougher d than Weber.

I really don't see how people can make all these quick assessments until they see Weber go in on the same string against a teams better defense. It's like people just ignore all the reports from camp about how terrible Weber looks in practice against when placed on the higher strings for some reps.
            "He was going against far inferior talent on the Bears defense" WHILE playing behind and with inferior talent on the Bronco's offense! Under the same lights as Hanie and on a field Hanie should have been very comfortable playing on! Weber was cooler headed, looked crisper and more seasoned in most opinions.

I will guarantee you it is easier to play 4th string DLine than to play 4th string OLine!

Show me one report that says Weber looks so bad with the higher string players in practice. All the reports I've seen say he out shines Hanie everyday.

When did NFL coaches start evaluating potential new NFL talent on how they play college level offense or defense? I will further guarantee you Weber does not run a college level offense while on the practice squad.
            "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Comment

• Originally posted by jonathanrivers View Post
              Kyle McCarthy is a practice squad player. Nate Irving was a third round draft pick who was considered a first day pick before his car accident.

I don't know what you have against Irving...but he doesn't look like a scrub to me. Or most other people who watched the game last night.

...go ahead. Tell me how it's preseason and all...as if I haven't already factored that into my opinion.
              Last I heard Irving wasn't performing and mays has been beasting! It means something when the coaches have a UDFA playing ahead of Irving at MLB
              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

• In my opinion, no one can take the MLB job from Joe Mays because of the money. He is being paid as the starting MLB, and I think money has already decided the issue. There will be no competition there. I don't believe Irving's performance will matter, even if he keeps making a lot of tackles and tackles for loss. I doubt the coaches will say "hmm he's looking really instinctive and playing fast, maybe we should put him with the starters." I don't see it happening. Apparently, Irving does not shine in practice, but he can make plays during a real game. He will be on the final roster, and he will be one of the 2nd team LBs. He can't play SLB because Von Miller is already there.

Maybe Irving can compete for the WLB job, but Woodyard and Trevathan offer more mobility. Irving's size and instincts scream MLB to me, but Joe Mays is there with a nice salary. Only injury or a disastrous regular season will make Joe Mays lose his job. I can be wrong, but that's how I see the situation. Money will impact the competition, just like Stokley's relationship with Peyton Manning will impact the competition at WR.
                sigpic

Comment

• I wouldn't be worried seeing as he played fine, especially considering it was his first game in 18 months, also since he does seem to be a perfectionist I would expect nothing less from Manning than being very close to 100% by the time the regular starts.
                  That being said even right now I think our offense is a considerably better than it was last year. I'd argue that this was a solid overall football team before that was able to get to the playoffs and win a game there with uh inconsistent QB play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                    Watching Manning last night actually put most of those worries to rest for me. I can understand the concern but I don't think it's necessary. We can debate the interception till our face is blue but I really think in the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal.

that throw to Decker to convert that third down was beautiful, his touch was still there. I don't think his health is a concern and he has a run game he can lean on.

add onto that you mention QBs with a chip on their shoulder... don't you think manning has that fire in his belly too. year off football the game he loves so much. Cut by his former team. People saying he will never be able to do it again.

I just dont see any red flags or signs that we should be worried.
                    Im really all over this early post, makes total sense and even though Remedy has bad breath and wears dresses, I totally agree with what he is saying here..I think Manning moved us right down the field and used the run and pass game well..I think the INT was a tipped ball and while it stunk, its not an issue..

Our Defense looked awesome lastnight and folks like the Wolfman and Miller made me jump up and down..If I remember right the bears couldnt convert a 3rd down all evening??? I know its the 1st pre season game and all but im stoked..

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh by the way, I too was a little concerned before lastnight!:thumb:
                    Last edited by BANJOPICKER1; 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                      In my opinion, no one can take the MLB job from Joe Mays because of the money. He is being paid as the starting MLB, and I think money has already decided the issue. There will be no competition there. I don't believe Irving's performance will matter, even if he keeps making a lot of tackles and tackles for loss. I doubt the coaches will say "hmm he's looking really instinctive and playing fast, maybe we should put him with the starters." I don't see it happening. Apparently, Irving does not shine in practice, but he can make plays during a real game. He will be on the final roster, and he will be one of the 2nd team LBs. He can't play SLB because Von Miller is already there.

Maybe Irving can compete for the WLB job, but Woodyard and Trevathan offer more mobility. Irving's size and instincts scream MLB to me, but Joe Mays is there with a nice salary. Only injury or a disastrous regular season will make Joe Mays lose his job. I can be wrong, but that's how I see the situation. Money will impact the competition, just like Stokley's relationship with Peyton Manning will impact the competition at WR.
                      That's the unfortunate reality in my mind.

I've been a huge advocate for Irving, but we can't have a guy getting paid what Mays will just sit on the bench and play primarily on ST.

I think what could happen is similar to how we treated Andra Davis back in the day. While Mays is younger, it might be wise to gradually increase Irving's role as the season progresses and use him as a (for lack of a better term) Change of Pace MLB. Irving was one of the best blitzing MLBs in college, and I feel as though he could really be disruptive if mixed into a gameplan. I have a feeling that if anyone can get creative with the way he uses a LB corps with a bunch of mixed talents, it'd be Jack Del Rio.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                        Last I heard Irving wasn't performing and mays has been beasting! It means something when the coaches have a UDFA playing ahead of Irving at MLB
                        No. They moved Irving because we don't have another strongside linebacker since we let Haggan go.

Irving is 2nd string. Now that Brooking is here, Mohammed is likely 3rd string.

Irving was moved to optimize the economic/operational efficiency of the LB corps.

Comment

• He looked pretty good to me.

A little rusty, that's expected but it's nothing to lose sleep over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                            Watching Manning last night actually put most of those worries to rest for me. I can understand the concern but I don't think it's necessary. We can debate the interception till our face is blue but I really think in the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal.

that throw to Decker to convert that third down was beautiful, his touch was still there. I don't think his health is a concern and he has a run game he can lean on.

add onto that you mention QBs with a chip on their shoulder... don't you think manning has that fire in his belly too. year off football the game he loves so much. Cut by his former team. People saying he will never be able to do it again.

I just dont see any red flags or signs that we should be worried.
                            Yea, I loved that throw to Decker. Was real anxious to see what we'd do, and how we'd execute on that 3rd down play.

I was expecting a QB Draw

Wait, that was last year. But I was real anxious to see what we'd do, and then I saw that and was happy again. Looked like the Manning of old and got me fired up. Ints happen. Manning has like 200 of them in his career. Its not like hes never thrown a pic.

I'm still a lil concerned, and will be for a few regular season games even I'm sure. Its hard not to be skeptical.
                            :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

• Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                              PM looked good dont get me wrong. He looked about 80-85%...
                              Where does everyone keep getting these numbers from? How ridiculous. Do you have something to compare it to to quantify 85% vs. 90%? Are you so astute on his previous performance in Indy that you are able to accurately judge health % off a few plays in a preseason game? I'm so tired of everyone running around throwing out these numbers like they have some basis for it and then being concerned by the arbitrary rating system they've concocted. It is silly to say the least.

Comment

• Just because Irving is listed at SOLB doesn't mean he wouldn't be the replacement for Mays at MLB if he goes down. He was probably moved to SOLB because he offers more as a replacement to Miller than Mohammed does. I think in reality Irving is the backup at both SOLB and MLB.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Brooking and/or Mohamed not make the team. They will keep 6 or 7 LB, last year they kept 7 so lets use that that number.

These 5 make the team barring injury, and yes, I am including DJ since he isn't going anywhere and I am counting him towards the 6 or 7.
                                1. Von
                                2. Mays
                                3. DJ
                                4. WW
                                5. Irving

That leaves 1 or 2 spots open for:

1. Trevathan
                                2. Mohamed
                                3. Brooking
                                4. Johnson
                                5. Coffey
                                6. Franklin

Trevathan has been playing very well and I think he is the 6th LB so everyone else is competing for that last potential spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson or Mohamed get it. They may keep another one until DJ comes back from suspension though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X