No announcement yet.

Post game rants --- Chicago -- Pre-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we may be over reacting a little bit. I mean, it's only week 1. . . Of the preseason haha.

An manning has never been about "zip". His throws are purely based on touch and timing.
    sigpic

Comment

• can we have this conversation in a month?...seems silly to be getting this worked up after the first pre season game

osweiler will be on the roster to start the season and will likely be manning's backup...1st round qbs don;t get traded, released or put on the practice squad

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco in UT View Post
        Based upon what we saw last night and what the Denver media has said all camp, how and the hell can this coaching staff see that Caleb Hanie is a backup QB to Manning? Both Oz and Weber look WAY better than Hanie. Trust me, if we put Weber on the PS he is as good as gone. Every time he gets in the game he looks pretty good. I think we need to see Oz for sure at the 2nd spot next week to see what he does against 2nd teamers and then go forward from there. So, if you believe Hanie is really our 2nd best qb on the team, then convince me.....
        We seem to have discussions like this every preseason. There were people just a couple of years ago who felt that Tom Brandstater had also outplayed the starters. Of course fans often forget that Oz and Weber were playing against the 3rd and 4th stringers, guys who aren't getting any reps and aren't that good to begin with and will probably be cut. Weber is doing his best to keep from getting cut.

And just because some fans think if Weber goes on the PS he's as good as gone doesn't really make it so. If the coaching staff thought Weber was all that and a bag of chips, he would likely be second string by now, not fourth. He's trying to work his way up, but he's also been here for a full year, unlike the other three QB's on the roster. He SHOULD look better than Hanie running plays he already knows well while Hanie is learning the offense and trying to settle in and be the second stringer.

We have three more weeks before we will know for sure how things shake out with the QB's but during that time, I expect Hanie to get better and for all three backups to get plenty of game reps in the preseason. Then, we will see how other coaching staffs see our guys.
        You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

• He's our only back up with experience

That's the only reason I can come up with
          sigpic
          Thank you Charger$

Comment

• This pic makes me happy.
            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
            sigpic

Comment

• If Manning goes down for a long period of time might as well bring Brock in. but if it were for a week or 2 Hanie should be the backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post

This pic makes me happy.
                Why would that make you happy?

Comment

• Yes I agree with you, I felt that way too.

Comment

• I know it's early, but I thought the spin on the ball was much tighter coming out of Weber's hand than any of the other 3 quarterbacks (Manning included). I am not saying Weber should be the starter, but he will definately be on an NFL team, if not ours. I don't blame the missed touchdown pass solely on the quarterback, even the announcers said the receiver slowed down which disrupted the timing of the play. I was not a fan of Hanie's when he was initially signed by us, and the first pre-season game did nothing to change my mind. I would feel confident with Manning, Osweiler, and Weber to start the season.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                      It feels like 95% of the people on this board are crazy stoked. And with good reason. However I understand as much as anyone that its just the preseason...

But to be honest I'm still concerned...

Clearly Manning isn't 100%. And that is to be expected. To be honest I dont even see him as 90%, and I dont think we'll see that for a long time. He's been out of the game for a while.. he'll get there. But it will take time to gel.. What concerns me is.. Will we have the fire power to keep up with offenses led by Drew Brees, and Tom Brady? And lets face it. Rivers will have a chip on his shoulder, and thats when those QB's are most dangerous..

Not only will our offense have to click and fire on all cylinders.. We need our D to consistently perform like it did last night.. each and every week... And for Denver? Thats rare to come by..

I'm excited guys.. but not comfortable. Not comfortable one bit.
                      What about the chip on Peytons shoulders? He will be fine first game and pre-season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                        Watching Manning last night actually put most of those worries to rest for me. I can understand the concern but I don't think it's necessary. We can debate the interception till our face is blue but I really think in the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal.

that throw to Decker to convert that third down was beautiful, his touch was still there. I don't think his health is a concern and he has a run game he can lean on.

add onto that you mention QBs with a chip on their shoulder... don't you think manning has that fire in his belly too. year off football the game he loves so much. Cut by his former team. People saying he will never be able to do it again.

I just dont see any red flags or signs that we should be worried.
                        I agree, didnt see your post

Comment

• Sure, plenty of concerns. However none of them related to Peyton Manning.

Comment

• Originally posted by soloking View Post
                            Just had a baby, probably didn't sleep for 2 days.
                            Yes, He wanted to play but the coack told him to sit. Cutler just had a baby and it rained a whole bunch before the game.
                            Bear Down

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                              We seem to have discussions like this every preseason. There were people just a couple of years ago who felt that Tom Brandstater had also outplayed the starters. Of course fans often forget that Oz and Weber were playing against the 3rd and 4th stringers, guys who aren't getting any reps and aren't that good to begin with and will probably be cut. Weber is doing his best to keep from getting cut.

And just because some fans think if Weber goes on the PS he's as good as gone doesn't really make it so. If the coaching staff thought Weber was all that and a bag of chips, he would likely be second string by now, not fourth. He's trying to work his way up, but he's also been here for a full year, unlike the other three QB's on the roster. He SHOULD look better than Hanie running plays he already knows well while Hanie is learning the offense and trying to settle in and be the second stringer.

We have three more weeks before we will know for sure how things shake out with the QB's but during that time, I expect Hanie to get better and for all three backups to get plenty of game reps in the preseason. Then, we will see how other coaching staffs see our guys.
                              There's been some suggestion among NFL analysts that if they try and put Weber on the PS he will be claimed by some other team. However there are two things to consider.

#1 -- A lot depends on the rest of the pre-season. Will he have a great pre-season or will he struggle?

#2 -- A team that claims Weber will have to put him on the 53 man roster right before the season. That team would REALLY have to love Weber to do that. They'd be cutting a player who went all through camp and the pre-season to get a QB who is not really capable of starting and doesn't have much experience.

If they really thought he was a great developmental prospect they might do it, but is Weber really that good?

I doubt it. I think he'll clear waivers and if he doesn't? Oh, well.

The Broncos really are set at QB with Manning and Osweiler is the future QB. If Manning goes down they need an experienced QB and that's going to be Hannie (God help us).

They might like Weber but he clearly does not have a future on this team. Can any of you imagine him ever beating out Osweiler when Elway loves Osweiler and invested a 2nd round draft pick in him? No and NO.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by kevlar441 View Post
                                So far, my vote is clearly for Weber over Hanie and I will take that CP bet made earlier.

We will see how it shakes out but I might even be willing to go this far.

Manning
                                OZ - Weber
                                Hanie
                                LOTS of fans want Weber over Hanie. They might even be right. However, there's ZERO chance of this. NONE whatever.

Fox loves veterans and does NOT want to start an inexperience young developmental QB like Weber if Manning is hurt for a couple of games. He's notorious for starting aging veterans over promising young players. Just talk to the Carolina Fans. If Manning goes down for a couple of games Fox is going to stick with the veteran Hanie, even if he sucks.

And the fans shouting for Weber or (more likely) Osweiler will move him not a whit.

If Manning is lost for the entire season then the Broncos season is over anyway -- just like it was last year for the 7-4 Bears when Jay Cutler was hurt and the high-flying Houston Texans when they lost Matt Schaub.

In that case they might as well just start Osweiler and get him some NFL experience. See what the kid can do.

If he tanks, well, the Broncos weren't going to the playoffs without Peyton Manning anyway. And if he does good, that's a boost for the future. Win-win.
                                Last edited by Cugel; 08-11-2012, 08:34 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X