No announcement yet.

Post game rants --- Chicago -- Pre-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanie was just pretty bad last season for the Bears, how much can we really expect him to improve in just one off-season? One can say all they want about the situation he was in last year, but how much of it can you blame on the lack of weapons when Cutlar was playoff bound with those weapons? All Hanie had to do is just hold things down for 4 games and the Bears would have made the post season. Hanie could not even win one game and as much as I hate to say it, we gave him the perfect opportunity to get one win! You can bring up the fumble all you want, but the fact is had Hanie done better in the first place they would have never needed the OT. So no I do not feel comfortable with Hanie as our backup.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
      Hanie was just pretty bad last season for the Bears, how much can we really expect him to improve in just one off-season? One can say all they want about the situation he was in last year, but how much of it can you blame on the lack of weapons when Cutlar was playoff bound with those weapons? All Hanie had to do is just hold things down for 4 games and the Bears would have made the post season. Hanie could not even win one game and as much as I hate to say it, we gave him the perfect opportunity to get one win! You can bring up the fumble all you want, but the fact is had Hanie done better in the first place they would have never needed the OT. So no I do not feel comfortable with Hanie as our backup.
      You may be right, but consider this. It doesn't matter if Weber or even Osweiler is better than Hanie. Fox is going with Hanie because he's the veteran. Remember "Orton gives us the best chance to win now?" Get used to hearing it again (about Hanie) if Manning is hurt.

Next, Hanie would have needed to win three games so the Bears would finish with a 10-6 record for them to make the playoffs. There was never a chance of that.

Also, if the Bears somehow landed in the playoffs with Caleb Hanie what remote chance do you think they would have had as the #6 seed? None whatever!

This illustrates the essential point does it not?

Your backup QB might fill in for a couple of games and if you're lucky you might win one. But, you can't expect more than that.

It would have been utterly pointless for the Bears to make the playoffs. All it would have done is give them a worse draft pick.

Same thing would be true if Manning gets hurt the way Cutler did last year.

Then it's Osweiler time!
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        In my opinion, no one can take the MLB job from Joe Mays because of the money. He is being paid as the starting MLB, and I think money has already decided the issue. There will be no competition there. I don't believe Irving's performance will matter, even if he keeps making a lot of tackles and tackles for loss. I doubt the coaches will say "hmm he's looking really instinctive and playing fast, maybe we should put him with the starters." I don't see it happening. Apparently, Irving does not shine in practice, but he can make plays during a real game. He will be on the final roster, and he will be one of the 2nd team LBs. He can't play SLB because Von Miller is already there.

Maybe Irving can compete for the WLB job, but Woodyard and Trevathan offer more mobility. Irving's size and instincts scream MLB to me, but Joe Mays is there with a nice salary. Only injury or a disastrous regular season will make Joe Mays lose his job. I can be wrong, but that's how I see the situation. Money will impact the competition, just like Stokley's relationship with Peyton Manning will impact the competition at WR.
        I agree with you on this Rod, but I see things just a tad bit different. When I first heard that we re-signed Mays to a 3yr $12mil deal, I was like "There goes Irving chances" but then when I saw the details, I kind of had a change of heart about it. Mays signed a 3yr $12 mil contract with $4.5 guaranteed. The good thing is the $4mil that is guaranteed it's all in the first year, the other $500.000 is guaranteed next year. So the way I see it, it was a contract that benefited both Mays and the Broncos.

If Mays plays really well, he got some stability for 3yrs, if Irving outplay Mays (next year) then we can cut Mays without much of a cap hit. I don't know if you followed Irving thoughout his college career, but he's naturally an OLB, he only played MLB his Senior year at NC State. I agree with your opinion about Woodyard and Trevathan having more mobility, but Irving is far and beyond a better blitzer than Woodyard. I'm a huge Woodyard fan, but his ability to blitz has always been a issue with me.

Nate look like he's put on some weight to play Mike, because i've never seen him that heavy. So I believe that has contributed to his lack of speed. Watching him play at NC State, he definately had some wheels on him. Either way, whether it's Mike or Will, I think he'll have a chance to start, if not this year, definately next.
        Last edited by JayJack; 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Maybe they should try Irving at WLB.

If he continues to play as well as he did in the first game, they should give him a chance to be one of the three starting linebackers.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• I agree with you on this Rod, but I see things just a tad bit different. When I first heard that we re-signed Mays to a 3yr $12mil deal, I was like "There goes Irving chances" but then when I saw the details, I kind of had a change of heart about it. Mays signed a 3yr $12 mil contract with $4.5 guaranteed. The good thing is the $4mil that is guaranteed it's all in the first year, the other $500.000 is guaranteed next year. So the way I see it, it was a contract that benefited both Mays and the Broncos.

If Mays plays really well, he got some stability for 3yrs, if Irving outplay Mays (next year) then we can cut Mays without much of a cap hit. I don't know if you followed Irving thoughout his college career, but he's naturally an OLB, he only played MLB his Senior year at NC State. I agree with your opinion about Woodyard and Trevathan having more mobility, but Irving is far and beyond a better blitzer than Woodyard. I'm a huge Woodyard fan, but his ability to blitz has always been a issue with me.

Nate look like he's put on some weight to play Mike, because i've never seen him that heavy. So I believe that has contributed to his lack of speed. Watching him play at NC State, he definately had some wheels on him. Either way, whether it's Mike or Will, I think he'll have a chance to start, if not this year, definately next.
            That's why I love Trevathon...he is Woodyard but with the knack to blitz and get skinny in the backfield.
            "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

• I think we might bring in another veteran QB to back up Manning and both Hanie and Weber will be gone.

Comment

• You may be right, but consider this. It doesn't matter if Weber or even Osweiler is better than Hanie. Fox is going with Hanie because he's the veteran. Remember "Orton gives us the best chance to win now?" Get used to hearing it again (about Hanie) if Manning is hurt.

Next, Hanie would have needed to win three games so the Bears would finish with a 10-6 record for them to make the playoffs. There was never a chance of that.

Also, if the Bears somehow landed in the playoffs with Caleb Hanie what remote chance do you think they would have had as the #6 seed? None whatever!

This illustrates the essential point does it not?

Your backup QB might fill in for a couple of games and if you're lucky you might win one. But, you can't expect more than that.

It would have been utterly pointless for the Bears to make the playoffs. All it would have done is give them a worse draft pick.

Same thing would be true if Manning gets hurt the way Cutler did last year.

Then it's Osweiler time!
                I think we only go with two QB's - Manning and Os - the reasoning is there are two many good players to try and squeeze on this 53 man roster and there are plenty of capable QB's out on the free market or could be had for cheap that are equal/better than Hanie if Manning got hurt. We will try and squeeze Weber on our PS again to give us better depth. Personally, I will be pretty sick to my stomach if Hanie takes a roster spot away from someone like a Moreno, Odom, Willis or Malik.

Let's put it this way...do you think if we dumped Hanie any team would even pick him up? There is a good chance no. So we could just bring him back if needed...if we felt he was the best option available...ugggghhh!
                "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

• Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
                  I think we only go with two QB's - Manning and Os - the reasoning is there are two many good players to try and squeeze on this 53 man roster and there are plenty of capable QB's out on the free market or could be had for cheap that are equal/better than Hanie if Manning got hurt. We will try and squeeze Weber on our PS again to give us better depth. Personally, I will be pretty sick to my stomach if Hanie takes a roster spot away from someone like a Moreno, Odom, Willis or Malik.

Let's put it this way...do you think if we dumped Hanie any team would even pick him up? There is a good chance no. So we could just bring him back if needed...if we felt he was the best option available...ugggghhh!
                  As for Malik Jackson he's a rookie and is clearly heading for the practice squad. As a 5th round DE it's highly unlikely that any team would claim him off waivers.

As for going with 2 QBs, lots of fans would love it. But John Fox would hate it.

He's notorious for going with aging veterans of dubious value over promising younger players. Having a pure rookie as his backup QB if Manning goes down for even 1 game would probably give him sleepless nights. No matter how good Osweiler looks in the pre-season Hanie is going to make the team and Weber will either be cut or put on the PS.

Having Weber on the PS doesn't help much if Manning is hurt because he doesn't have much more experience than Osweiler and Fox can't rely on him to be dependable in a crisis where he needs to win a couple of games and Manning is hurt for 2 weeks.
                  Last edited by Cugel; 08-12-2012, 12:00 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• As for Malik Jackson he's a rookie and is clearly heading for the practice squad. As a 5th round DE it's highly unlikely that any team would claim him off waivers.

As for going with 2 QBs, lots of fans would love it. But John Fox would hate it.

He's notorious for going with aging veterans of dubious value over promising younger players. Having a pure rookie as his backup QB if Manning goes down for even 1 game would probably give him sleepless nights. No matter how good Osweiler looks in the pre-season Hanie is going to make the team and Weber will either be cut or put on the PS.

Having Weber on the PS doesn't help much if Manning is hurt because he doesn't have much more experience than Osweiler and Fox can't rely on him to be dependable in a crisis where he needs to win a couple of games and Manning is hurt for 2 weeks.
                    Hey Cugel...I think my point got lost in this...it tends to happen when I decide to get active on these forums once every few months and just type like crazy

The overall point - Is Hanie (as a veteran) better than what is in the open market for veteran QB's? (whether free agents or be had for cheap via trade) ...Secondly, if we released Hanie, how likely is it that another team would pick him up? If it is not very high we can always bring him back if need be.

I understand Fox loves veterans...but Jake Delhomme was his boy because of his leadership skills and fire that he transferred to the rest of the team that was so much more important than an aging skillset. Does Hanie have that in him? I don't know...if he does it could be what keeps him here. I will tell you one thing, I am impressed by Osweillers command and leadership early on...he is not talking or walking around like a typical rookie.

As for Malik...I was just throwing a bunch of names out there...but I still would be pretty sick if we lost Malik because we kept Hanie
                    Last edited by MarshallMoss; 08-12-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Jackson may make the team because he can play inside and outside on the DL. As far as clarity of who makes the roster, who gets cut and who goes to PS, it is lacking for me. I'll end up being surprised.
                      Last edited by samparnell; 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Questions Concerning the Broncos-Bears Game

I am still very new to the game of football. I am trying to learn the game by watching as many Broncos games as possible. I watched the first preseason game and I have some questions.

1. The commentators for the game said before it started that Peyton Manning would be throwing Nolan Ryan balls. I looked up Nolan Ryan, but it seems he is a baseball player, not a football player. What am I missing?

2. One commentator said, “Because of Peyton Manning, the game is now played at the line of scrimmage.” What did he mean?

3. One commentator said the Bears were a Tampa 2 team. What is that?

4. Josh McCown, one of the Bears quarterbacks, was penalized for a false start. The commentator said he was not used to the snap count and voice inflection. What does that mean?

5. The referees are in a labor dispute, so the games are being officiated by replacement referees. Is that going to be a problem for this season? If yes, how will it affect the games?

6. One of the commentators talked about new Broncos defensive lineman Derek Wolfe and said that John Fox said, “He has the perfect disposition for a defensive lineman. You don't want your enforcer to be a Champ Bailey cornerback.” What does that mean?

7. Is there any rhyme or reason to how the preseason games are scheduled?

Any help I receive is most appreciated. Thank you.

Joyfully,
                        The Minx

Comment

• Originally posted by The Minx View Post
                          I am still very new to the game of football. I am trying to learn the game by watching as many Broncos games as possible. I watched the first preseason game and I have some questions.

1. The commentators for the game said before it started that Peyton Manning would be throwing Nolan Ryan balls. I looked up Nolan Ryan, but it seems he is a baseball player, not a football player. What am I missing?

2. One commentator said, “Because of Peyton Manning, the game is now played at the line of scrimmage.” What did he mean?

3. One commentator said the Bears were a Tampa 2 team. What is that?

4. Josh McCown, one of the Bears quarterbacks, was penalized for a false start. The commentator said he was not used to the snap count and voice inflection. What does that mean?

5. The referees are in a labor dispute, so the games are being officiated by replacement referees. Is that going to be a problem for this season? If yes, how will it affect the games?

6. One of the commentators talked about new Broncos defensive lineman Derek Wolfe and said that John Fox said, “He has the perfect disposition for a defensive lineman. You don't want your enforcer to be a Champ Bailey cornerback.” What does that mean?

7. Is there any rhyme or reason to how the preseason games are scheduled?

Any help I receive is most appreciated. Thank you.

Joyfully,
                          The Minx
                          You picked the right team to learn from!

You should wait for the master Sam Parnell to reply and be assured you get the correct answers

But here's the answer to 2

2 He means Manning sort of Pioneered the changing of the play call at the line of scrimmage from what was called in the huddle as a result of how the defense is lined up
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• Okay. I am most grateful for your help, Dissolve.

Comment

• 5. Yes - the replacement officials have been terrible so far. There's lots of complaints about the regular refs, but they aren't this bad.

7. Preseason games are largely scheduled to avoid excessive travel while avoiding teams in your own division. That's why the Giants and Jets always play each other And the Steelers and Eagles play each other in the preseason. Other than that they try to avoid having you play teams that you are scheduled to play early in the year.

Comment

• Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X