X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KentuckyFan
    replied
    Minx I have some Questions for you.

1.) What made you get into football? (family member, friend, or something you saw on TV).

2.)Why did you choose the Broncos? (for me it was a Superbowl party and I was the only one going for the Broncos, it was the first of the two back to back and I just fell in-love with me after that.)

Anyways I speak for everyone when I say, we are always happy to get more fans!

Leave a comment:

• Junn Hoard
    replied
    Originally posted by jonathanrivers View Post
    Here we go...

Of course he did. That's how preseason works.

If you can't evaluate a player based on their field presence alone, don't assume that everyone else can't by stating the obvious "he played against 2nd team". Everyone knows that Irving ran with the 2nd team. But you can factor that into your analysis of how he played without having to put a footnote by it every time.

Essentially, he played good enough against the backups that a logical person could draw the conclusion that he would be at least somewhat effective against the starters.

Does every positive comment have to mention that we're in the preseason? I hate to be rude...but sheesh. Everyone knows that the 2nd stringers are playing against 2nd stringers, 3rd against 3rd, etc. Does it have to be pointed out in EVERY thread. As if there are people who care about the Broncos enough to come to a message board don't know that this is the preseason?

Look through the threads and you'll see what I'm talking about.

/rant.
    I agree and obiviously the starters are better that's why they are starting but any respectable starter in the NFL will tell you that as a starter "you are only as good as your back up". So pointing out the obivious when it comes to this is somewhat pointless.

Leave a comment:

• The Minx
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Remedy
    replied
    Welcome aboard

Leave a comment:

• #24 Next Champ
    replied
    Originally posted by The Minx View Post
    Thank you very much, Everyone! I am a woman and I didn't grow up with sports-watching family. It's been hard to find people willing to explain things to me. You have no idea how grateful I am for all the help. This is great team with great fans.
    You're awesome lol

Leave a comment:

• one_bad_55
    replied
    Welcome to the Broncos forums! Do not ever hesitate to ask questions as there are a lot of great posters here that will help explain things for you. I have watched this game for many years and while I know the basics there are a lot of schemes and formations that are newer than from when I played.

The folks here are great at explaining the different schemes that the teams use and you can learn a lot.

Have fun reading the posts and learning the game.

Leave a comment:

• The Minx
    replied
    Thank you very much, Everyone! I am a woman and I didn't grow up with sports-watching family. It's been hard to find people willing to explain things to me. You have no idea how grateful I am for all the help. This is great team with great fans.

Leave a comment:

• TheWV
    replied
    Mays in on running downs and Irving in on passing downs?

Leave a comment:

• Br0nc0Buster
    replied
    Nolan Ryan threw the fasted recorded pitch ever at like 108 MPH.
    I dont remember the announcer referring to Nolan Ryan, but he could of meant he thought Manning would come out throwing heaters

Leave a comment:

• Papa-pwn
    replied
    I am still very new to the game of football. I am trying to learn the game by watching as many Broncos games as possible. I watched the first preseason game and I have some questions.

1. The commentators for the game said before it started that Peyton Manning would be throwing Nolan Ryan balls. I looked up Nolan Ryan, but it seems he is a baseball player, not a football player. What am I missing?

2. One commentator said, “Because of Peyton Manning, the game is now played at the line of scrimmage.” What did he mean?

3. One commentator said the Bears were a Tampa 2 team. What is that?

4. Josh McCown, one of the Bears quarterbacks, was penalized for a false start. The commentator said he was not used to the snap count and voice inflection. What does that mean?

5. The referees are in a labor dispute, so the games are being officiated by replacement referees. Is that going to be a problem for this season? If yes, how will it affect the games?

6. One of the commentators talked about new Broncos defensive lineman Derek Wolfe and said that John Fox said, “He has the perfect disposition for a defensive lineman. You don't want your enforcer to be a Champ Bailey cornerback.” What does that mean?

7. Is there any rhyme or reason to how the preseason games are scheduled?

Any help I receive is most appreciated. Thank you.

Joyfully,
    The Minx
    1 - Nolan Ryan was revered for his fastball, so I'm assuming they meant Peyton would be throwing the football quickly and hard.

2 - other poster got it.

3 - it's a defensive scheme that not many team run much of any more, but the bears still run.

4 - he and the center had different ideas of which word to snap the ball on. For example when he said hut he was expecting the ball in his hands and started moving, while the center was waiting for him to say hut a second time.

5 - it means more flags thrown, rules misinterpreted, and possibly outcomes of games squandered.

6 - Wolfe is a big mean man at 6'5" 300 lbs. Champ Bailey, while very skilled, is a quiet, tempered man and 6'0" 200 lbs. He's saying he wants the enforcer to be someine with a more imposing presence.

7 - the preseason schedule is worked out and released in early spring of every year, with input from the league and teams alike.

Leave a comment:

• jonathanrivers
    replied
    I am still very new to the game of football. I am trying to learn the game by watching as many Broncos games as possible. I watched the first preseason game and I have some questions.

1. The commentators for the game said before it started that Peyton Manning would be throwing Nolan Ryan balls. I looked up Nolan Ryan, but it seems he is a baseball player, not a football player. What am I missing?

2. One commentator said, “Because of Peyton Manning, the game is now played at the line of scrimmage.” What did he mean?

4. Josh McCown, one of the Bears quarterbacks, was penalized for a false start. The commentator said he was not used to the snap count and voice inflection. What does that mean?

5. The referees are in a labor dispute, so the games are being officiated by replacement referees. Is that going to be a problem for this season? If yes, how will it affect the games?

6. One of the commentators talked about new Broncos defensive lineman Derek Wolfe and said that John Fox said, “He has the perfect disposition for a defensive lineman. You don't want your enforcer to be a Champ Bailey cornerback.” What does that mean?

Joyfully,
    The Minx
    1) I'm not sure about the Nolan Ryan reference, but it was likely a reference to the fact that Nolan Ryan was effective late into his career at a pretty old age. I'm can't be positive, though.

2) The game being "played at the line of scrimmage" is a reference to a reactive style of offense where the QB and offensive line diagnose the defense before the snap and make adjustments to take advantage of the defensive alignment.

Whether it's checking into a swing pass checkdown on the side of a blitzing linebacker...or noticing that both safeties are are at equal depth (likely a Cover 2...see below) and exploiting the "seam" between them with a quick pass to the tight end...the offense nowadays has more of an advantage because most good QB's can adjust to at least get our of a bad play...if not getting into an ideal play for that defensive look altogether. That is, there are more ways for an offense to take advantage of a specific defensive alignment than there are ways for the defense to "disguise" their alignment to try and confuse the QB. Peyton has mastered this art and is probably the best known guy in history for playing the game at the line of scrimmage.

3) A Tampa 2 defense is a Cover 2 zone concept, meaning that you have two safeties who are responsible for covering each of two deep halves of the field on most plays. Tampa 2 requires a middle linebacker who has excellent range and is good in pass coverage (Brian Urlacher)...he must be athletic and instinctive enough to cover short, and often intermediate-deep passes BETWEEN the halves of the field that the safeties are responsible for. The Tampa 2 also requires and excellent pass rush and corners who can throw off a WR's timing at the line of scrimmage. It's a "bend but don't break" defense, and favors big plays and relying on the offense to make mistakes over trying to stonewall the defense. The defense was made famous by the 2002-03 Tampa Bay Bucanneers.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have teams like the Baltimore Ravens and New Orleans Saints, who play very aggressively with their safeties and rely on a lot of man coverage from their corners.

4) I'm not sure of the exact wording of the rule. I would guess that he was doing something that fell outside of the normal snap count variation.

5) If the preseason is of any indication, we don't want these replacement referees near an NFL stadium during regular season. It's been that bad.

6) He was referring to the fact that you want someone with a high motor and mean-streak to be the main concern of opposing RB's and QB's. He was probably referring to past years when Champ was one of our top 5 tacklers and no one on the defensive line had more than 30 tackles all season.

7) No, from what I can tell.

Hope this helps you out man.
    Last edited by jonathanrivers; 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Minx
    replied
    Thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• Peyton&Eli_fan
    replied
    5. Yes - the replacement officials have been terrible so far. There's lots of complaints about the regular refs, but they aren't this bad.

7. Preseason games are largely scheduled to avoid excessive travel while avoiding teams in your own division. That's why the Giants and Jets always play each other And the Steelers and Eagles play each other in the preseason. Other than that they try to avoid having you play teams that you are scheduled to play early in the year.

Leave a comment:

• The Minx
    replied
    Okay. I am most grateful for your help, Dissolve.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied

Joyfully,
    The Minx
    You picked the right team to learn from!

You should wait for the master Sam Parnell to reply and be assured you get the correct answers

But here's the answer to 2

2 He means Manning sort of Pioneered the changing of the play call at the line of scrimmage from what was called in the huddle as a result of how the defense is lined up

Leave a comment:

Working...
X