Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Wolfe has another impressive showing at DT on Saturday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Wolfe has another impressive showing at DT on Saturday.

I would love to think that Wolfe could be the starter next to Warren on the line.

I know he wasnt looking too impressive to take on double teams in the beginning, but he does seem to have a good first step.

He did play well against the Bears STARTERS.

I guess Bannan wouldnt be so bad, but then again we all know his capabilities and his limitations.

The thing about our DT's is I don't think it really matters who starts. If Wolfe plays well, he will get plenty of snaps in the games. The coaches will put him in situations where he will do well, whether it's passing downs, or whatever. I wouldn't put much stock into who our "Starters" at DT are, as they will all be rotating throughout the game.

Comment

I would love to think that Wolfe could be the starter next to Warren on the line.

I know he wasnt looking too impressive to take on double teams in the beginning, but he does seem to have a good first step.

He did play well against the Bears STARTERS.

I guess Bannan wouldnt be so bad, but then again we all know his capabilities and his limitations.
      Vickerson seems to be the man to beat at this point. Vick really got awesome push last game and is looking like what we had with him a couple of years ago. All in all, it's giving us a lot of options to rotate and play certain players depending on our opponent and the scheme we want to defend...I don't remember when I could say that with our front line
      "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
        Vickerson seems to be the man to beat at this point. Vick really got awesome push last game and is looking like what we had with him a couple of years ago. All in all, it's giving us a lot of options to rotate and play certain players depending on our opponent and the scheme we want to defend...I don't remember when I could say that with our front line
        Yes, Vickerson did look decent.Hell Ayers looked decent and i thought he played better last year, considering he was in his natural position.

This may be pretty interesting and they may indeed have a nice rotation of fresh Dlinemen.

Comment

I'm not worried about Wolfe and, to me, it does not matter if he will enter the season as a starter. He will join the rotation and we already saw he can make plays. Some guys take a lot of time to produce a sack or a big play. Everyone can relax knowing that Wolfe will help the team. It was just preseason, and it was against a crappy line. That's fine. At least we already know Wolfe will beat the weaker linemen. Dontari Poe was being easily blocked 1-on-1 by the Cardinals' 3rd string center.

Maybe Wolfe is not ready to take on double teams as a full-time DT, but he can already provide some pass rush.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not worried about Wolfe and, to me, it does not matter if he will enter the season as a starter. He will join the rotation and we already saw he can make plays. Some guys take a lot of time to produce a sack or a big play. Everyone can relax knowing that Wolfe will help the team. It was just preseason, and it was against a crappy line. That's fine. At least we already know Wolfe will beat the weaker linemen. Dontari Poe was being easily blocked 1-on-1 by the Cardinals' 3rd string center.

Maybe Wolfe is not ready to take on double teams as a full-time DT, but he can already provide some pass rush.
            Haha...great point Rod...how good does our pick look now compared to the Chiefs selection almost a full round earlier. Obviously too early, and Poe could still have a bright future, but it doesn't look like anytime soon...it's so great when you can get instant impact from your early draft pick while he still evolves
            "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
              I wouldn't put much stock into who our "Starters" at DT are, as they will all be rotating throughout the game.
              Good point, Wolfe could actually end up playing more than 50% of the snaps even as a non starter, it's really not that unusual in the NFL. That's the great thing about DL, they do get rotated and if they perform they will get more snaps, they don't have to clearly be better than the guy in front of them on the depth chart to earn lots of opportunities.

Vickerson seems to be the man to beat at this point. Vick really got awesome push last game
              Agreed. I'm hoping Vick's next game is strong(doesn't even have to be as strong as the CHI game), and I might be able to go into the season with a good feeling about our DT situation.

Comment

I just wish the coaching staff would stop listing him as, and calling him, a defensive end.

Comment

Haha...great point Rod...how good does our pick look now compared to the Chiefs selection almost a full round earlier. Obviously too early, and Poe could still have a bright future, but it doesn't look like anytime soon...it's so great when you can get instant impact from your early draft pick while he still evolves
                  You know, if Wolfe pans out to be a great pick I don't think anyone can really doubt our FO on draft picks. Just like last year, they went against the "consensus pic" (Miller over Dareus/Fairly) to take a guy who they thought is the best man for the job (Wolfe over Worthy, etc). I like how they ignore the hype and go after guys who they think are high-motor, high character guys who fit their vision. It goes to show how much we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Wolfe is looking like a great pick so far.
                  The Magic Is Back! IN ELWAY WE TRUST!

Comment

It doesnt matter if he starts or not
                    Last year we had a 3 man rotation and I believe McBean played more snaps than Bunkley and Thomas despite coming off the bench

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                      I just wish the coaching staff would stop listing him as, and calling him, a defensive end.
                      No kidding man. He's a natural DT, I understand that he creates mismatches as a SDE, but it's not his position.
                      Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

i agree with everyone, he will get his fair share of snaps, if big vick and warren play like they did the other night i doubt wolfe gets the start but he will see his share of snaps regardless

Comment

Here we go again with some of you guys trying to fit versatile players into cookie cutter schemes.

Wolfe will line up as a DE on running downs because he is not strong enough at the point of attack to handle double teams and being chipped by a 2nd blocker on the inside at this point. He is 300 pounds, but has the overall length and disruptiveness to be effective setting the edge.

He will play DT on passing downs because his disruptiveness in the middle gives us someone to push the pocket. His weakness is handling double teams --- and with Von and Doom coming on passing downs, it's far less likely that other teams will be able to play to Wolfe's weaknesses on the inside.

What the player is called is irrelavant in the NFL nowadays, due to the versatility in scheme. For example, Von can realistically play the role of a 3-4 OLB, 4-3 OLB, DE and a safety all in the scheme we'll be seeing. Your position is where you are when the ball is snapped and what your role is. It isn't a title like it was in the olden times.

He can play both. And JDR agrees with me.

Comment

Wolfe is a versatile D-Lineman that can play DE and DT. Honestly, i'd love for him to be strictly a DT, but if he can make some noise at DE, I really wouldn't care as long as he's getting to the QB.
                            sigpic

Comment

Where Wolfe? There Wolfe!
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X