No announcement yet.

Importance of a Backup QB This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanie at least knows the system, if another young QB was to come in, he would be lost. Hanie will at least have the benefit of having the first team offense on the field with him (something he has not had this preseason). Hanie can also rely on the run game. We also have two other phases of the game; Defense and Special teams. Even an older veteran would have trouble coming in and learning the system.
    sigpic

Comment

I agree that Hanie is not the backup but who do you go with that was cut yesterday? Josh Johnson. Brian Hoyer. Kellen Clemens?

Comment

I hate to say it but I think I would rather take my chances with Oz than with Hanie as our backup. Oz actually looked more poised in the back field than Hanie and actually got rid of the ball much quicker.

I know both of these guys were playing behind the second/third string line which didn't help either of them but Oz looked better to me than Hanie.

I think Hanie got to play behind the first string line in one game and he appeared to move the ball but Oz never got that chance so it is hard to compare.
        sigpic
        Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
        2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
        2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

I would like Hoyer.

Comment

Originally posted by uncoalum View Post
            I agree that Hanie is not the backup but who do you go with that was cut yesterday? Josh Johnson. Brian Hoyer. Kellen Clemens?
            I think we should cut Hanie and stick with 2 quarterbacks. If we get Weber back on the practice squad he can be our third QB in case of injury. I'd rather have the open roster spot for a player who can contribute during the game. Not a bad backup 3rd team QB holding a clipboard.
            sigpic

Comment

It's not impossible for a QB to learn a system..? N Hoyer played for NE, a very complicated system (obviously it doesn't relate to ours but it shows the dude does have some intelligence)

I think you guys are really blowing that out of proportion, a month into the season I think he'd have the system down

And Limburgh I understand that (especially with the 2nd oline) maybe Hanie didn't get a completely fair shake during the preseason...but even with the ones he was pretty bad ...you say he would've had to have played excellent, I don't think so...I think for the most part our fans (on here) actually do a decent job evaluating players (again, for the most part)

I think if Hanie did look solid our fans would be content with him, I really do...but he didn't and you're giving Hanie too much credit ...he was pretty bad, let me just say he was bad enough to where I would not want him filling in for even one game...he sucked for Chicago and he's pretty much sucked so far here

Hoyer has a lot more talent and potential and i really don't see how it takes him more than a month to learn the system ...I hate when ppl say "It's not Madden" ...well no ish it's not Madden but it's also not rocket science, it's a new Playbook and system ...I think he'd have it down in a month (4 games) no problem ...then we have a much better backup QB and also imo a potential starter long-term...Brock was pretty bad (understandably so, he's a project) but that still means he's a project, they often don't workout and Hoyer has shown he can play in the NFL

Just my two cents but I think it very much makes sense

Comment

I'd rather get Brett Favre if that happens.

Srsly though Hanie is definitely our second best quarterback, and should be the backup. But I would still rather cut him and have Brock be the backup so we only run 2 QBs.

Comment

Qbs are available through out the season, there are always a few veterans available during the season that would come in for the right price. So it is not like we have to panic about the back up QB, Hopefully we won't need one! Hanie will also have more time to learn to be a better QB.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                    Qbs are available through out the season, there are always a few veterans available during the season that would come in for the right price. So it is not like we have to panic about the back up QB, Hopefully we won't need one! Hanie will also have more time to learn to be a better QB.
                    But because a guy needs to know our system it's important to get him into our team as soon as possible

I just can't believe you guys are cool with Hanie as our #2 when he's sucked his entire career

Comment

Played Madden 13 today and peyton went down for 9weeks caleb came in and balled out!

Theres hope!

lol no in all honesty if the intention is to not have Os touch the field then i think we need a better backup than caleb.. He sunk that team last year when Cutler was hurt and I didnt see anything in pre season to make me think hell do better here. Would love (as was speculated) someone like Matt Moore(only giving up a 7th) as his backup.

Comment

Not sweating the back up QB job because Manning has been the most durable QB in the league until last year and there's no reason to think that is going to change now that his neck is fixed

That being said, it's always a good idea to have the best back up quarterback you can possibly have and Hoyer or Moore would be a better bet than Hanie or Osweiler.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I really don't think Matt Moore could come in here and put up a much better showing than Hanie. At least not to the level of making it worth losing a pick over for a backup QB. Hanie will warm the bench just fine and the running game should be good enough to win us some games anyway should Plan B come to pass.

Comment

"Forfeit the game before somebody else takes you out of the frame, puts your name to shame, covers up your face you can't run the race the pace is too fast."

Fixt
                            2012 Adopt-a-Bronco: Brock Osweiler

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan!
                              I don't know I think the school can be a big factor into whether or not a QB succeeds at playing quarterback. Look at QB's who come out of Purdue. In general they tend to be very good Qb's. Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc.
                              Slight correction: Brady went to Michigan.

Now Kyle Orton, he went to Purdue.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by catsigater View Post
                                Slight correction: Brady went to Michigan.

Now Kyle Orton, he went to Purdue.

Carry on.
                                Ah my bad haha lol. Anyway, Drew Brees did go to Purdue.
                                sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Working...
                                X