Importance of a Backup QB This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian Hoyer

What exactly makes you believe that he's an upgrade from Caleb Hanie? Just because he's sat behind Tom Brady for three years doesn't make him a good NFL quarterback (see Curtis Painter, Jim Sorgi).

I'm not a fan of Caleb Hanie, but at least he's been with our team since March and knows our offensive system. Brian Hoyer is a joke.
    Last edited by getlynched47; 09-03-2012, 12:04 AM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
      U are looking at it the wrong way. Hanie is an insurance policy. See if Manning gets injured and cannot play, then Hanie will take over. He will play poor and lose games. Thus ensuring both a high 1st round pick and us getting freed up from under Manning's massive year 2 and 3 contract. It's a calculated move, that it now appears they tried last year, but Tebow actually won games, lol! With Hanie, u can trust that "Mile High Magic" will not happen. Brock is the future and it's tough to judge a guy playing with 2nd & 3rd team, as those units are horrible, on both sides of the ball. Judge his 1st team reps, which he has gotten none of in the games. But it's all part of the plan.
      Floss nailed it to be honest. If Peyton goes down and the Manning project was a complete bust then we are in a better position to draft ourselves something new. That is plan B. However Elway and most of Bronconation is hoping Plan A works.. Manning stays healthy and gives us 2-3 great seasons and develops Brock into a stud..

B doesn't sound very fun

Comment

Originally posted by Raider_Nation
        ...And there are "analysts" out there who actually believe KC will be the AFC West champs. There's no way in hell.
        If Cassel returns to his 2010 form, when he went to the Pro Bowl with 27 touchdowns and only 7 interceptions, the Chiefs have a chance. I think Charles and Hillis will run all over the AFC West behind that OL, but Cassel is a question mark. I don't know how comfortable he is in Brian Daboll's system. Daboll spent 7 years with the Patriots, so maybe he is using Charlie Weis' terminology and concepts.
        sigpic

Comment

...And there are "analysts" out there who actually believe KC will be the AFC West champs. There's no way in hell.
          I know. Based on QBs alone, the Chefs are 4th in the division. I'll take Hanie over Brady Quinn who apparently couldn't beat out a QB who couldn't throw well. Who else do we have? Whitehurst? Leinart? Pryor? Stanzi?
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            I know. Based on QBs alone, the Chefs are 4th in the division. I'll take Hanie over Brady Quinn who apparently couldn't beat out a QB who couldn't throw well. Who else do we have? Whitehurst? Leinart? Pryor? Stanzi?
            Watching Quinn on game film and comparing it to Hanie he is easily a better QB. Though its like comparing a 1 star QB to a 1 1/2 Star QB its still a step up. The Chiefs have some issues with depth or something but there entire team looked horrible this offseason.
            2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by Ohenhen12345 View Post
              Caleb Hanie is not good enough, I am sorry, he is simply not. Not a fan of the Osweiler selection, wanted Russell Wilson, I am even more skeptical about the Osweiler selection in the 2nd round. After watching him play in pre-season. That could be a major mistake by John Elway. Any information about potential QB cuts from other teams we can pick up. I know Josh Johnson is a potential cut by San fransisco. Won't mind if we pick him up. What do you guys think?
              I agree, if Peyton goes down we are going to look an awful lot like the Colts did last year, awful being the key word.

I thought Big Bird (Osweiler) was a horrible reach and has no business on this team. I think Weber was a better prospect, personally.

It's a joke to see Hanie as the backup, and Big Bird (who was picked well before Russell Wilson) as the third string prospect.

Elway made a mistake on this one... We can only hope and pray that Peyton stays healthy for a number a years. I expect at least one Superbowl outta him as a Bronco. If he doesnt bring one into Denver before he retires, then this whole offseason was an embarrassing failure.
              Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.
              sigpic

Comment

why does this come up every year?

seriously its the backup QB, a handful (possibly 2) of teams dont even have one legitimate QB. if a teams QB goes dow nfor any extended period of time they are likely screwed.

its not a position you can invest a lot in
                sigpic
                -------

Comment

Also Limburgh

There was intangibles that Tim brought to the table, along with a great running aspect (unlike any other QB) that Tim brought to the table and that's why fans favored him over say Hanie

I see your point but with what Tim made defenses account for, (n how he'd force a unique scheme) you have to see how that's different from just flat out playing bad

Again, I'm not saying Hanie was putrid or anything but he wasn't good n tagging that along with his previous work leaves you, at least me with an unsettled feeling about our backup ...Hoyer has at least looked in his body of work, more poised and more talented...and he has an underrated arm that can throw a laser

Comment

Talent-wise, they are probably the most talented team in the division, but lack of QB will hurt them.

If Cassel plays well, they have a shot, if not, 5-8 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                      why does this come up every year?

seriously its the backup QB, a handful (possibly 2) of teams dont even have one legitimate QB. if a teams QB goes dow nfor any extended period of time they are likely screwed.

its not a position you can invest a lot in
                      This.

We're screwed regardless if Manning were to go down as is pretty much every team in the league.

Comment

Bronco fans have reason to be uncomfortable with backup QBs after Patrick Ramsey, Chris Simms and Brady Quinn. Brister and Kubiak were the best backup QBs I've seen in a Bronco uniform.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by DoomTrooper View Post

Elway made a mistake on this one... We can only hope and pray that Peyton stays healthy for a number a years. I expect at least one Superbowl outta him as a Bronco. If he doesnt bring one into Denver before he retires, then this whole offseason was an embarrassing failure.
                          LOL, based off what?

I'd like to get a SB, but it's far from guaranteed.

The Pats have the best QB in the league arguably, and haven't won a SB since 04?

Winning a championship takes a lot of hard work, and some luck.

It certainly wouldn't be a failure if they don't win one.

Comment

I will just look at the quote in my signature for this....Caleb Hanie is a fine backup as long as he never sees the field which is exactly the plan our team is on right now. I have accepted the fact that if PFM goes down it will be a disappointing season (knocked on every piece of wood in my office). So no I don't care at all about the backup qb position.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                              LOL, based off what?

I'd like to get a SB, but it's far from guaranteed.

The Pats have the best QB in the league arguably, and haven't won a SB since 04?

Winning a championship takes a lot of hard work, and some luck.

It certainly wouldn't be a failure if they don't win one.
                              Truth be told, Tom Brady should have five rings right now, but Eli "Forrest Gum" Manning certainly had a lot of luck those two superbowls.

Either way, the mere fact that we are paying Manning more than Tom Brady shows what kind of expectations our FO has of him, not to mention all the Broncomaniacs that believe we have our new John Elway.

It will ABSOLUTELY be a failure if we pay Manning all this money, more than anybody else save Drew Brees, and not fully expect at least one ring.

Elway traded away a promising young QB who has had success in the playoffs, for the best regular season QB of all time (not post season, regular season) and has signed this 36 year old to what, a five year long contract? I am honestly not even convinced he will play this whole sixteen game season before he's forced into retirement, then what? Big Bird to the rescue?

We wasted a second round pick on this guy, and he is absolutely horrible and inexperienced. If the future of this franchise is Brock Osweiler, then it looks like another decade of mediocrity is in store for us (unless the next Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley falls to us).

I wish John Elway learned more about scouting from Jack Elway. Tangibles don't make champions.

EDIT: Yes, I was upset when we traded away Tebow, but it was only because I thought he could learn a lot from Manning (for however long he played for us). I actually thought it was a good move to bring Manning in, and I expect a superbowl win from him. What I'm really mad about is the Osweiler pick.

Honestly, if Manning went down this year (or next year, or two, three years from now) who would win more games for us? Tebow or Big Bird?

I personally believe Tebow would have.
                              Last edited by DoomTrooper; 09-04-2012, 01:34 PM.
                              Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                                This.

We're screwed regardless if Manning were to go down as is pretty much every team in the league.
                                But if he goes down for a game, it's nice to have a good backup...no?

That's the WHOLE POINT of this thread essentially, how is that not a very real possibility ?...he's sick, he sprains his ankle?...what happens that one or two (likely very crucial) games

Manning comes back so the season ain't lost but it could be if the backup QB is garbage
                                Last edited by #24 Next Champ; 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X