Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ronie Hillman is suppose to be a "Sproles" type talent, and he does have speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Ronie Hillman is suppose to be a "Sproles" type talent, and he does have speed.

Are we a little bit dissapointed that he is not going to be returning punts? If he is simply incapable of returning punts, perhaps we ought to not think of him as a Sproles type of player.

Sproles has a burst that I have to this point not seen from Hillman. 40 yard time does not equate perfectly to game day speed.
    if man is 5 and jay cutler is 6 then that must make john elway 7

Comment

Originally posted by jojo187;[B
      [/B]4499754]Sproles has a burst that I have to this point not seen from Hillman. 40 yard time does not equate perfectly to game day speed.
      Sproles seems to get to full speed i his first step, and has explosion off of cuts and changes of direction that make defenders look stupid. Sproles if a special player, I didn't really see the comparison to be honest.
      A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

I could be wrong here, but who made that first comparison? Was it Elway?

The closest thing I have seen to Sproles to ever play for Denver was Glyn Milburn. I remember would make a cut, and leave people folded over.

He just....wasnt exactly powerful, but he had a real burst.

Comment

You can see when Hillman gets the ball that he is a slippery back. He looks like he is ready to explode and he just looks like a naturally fast runner. He will show that he is a guy who is cut from the same cloth as Darren Sproles once the season gets going.

If Mike Mccoy can get him into some open space on screens or on edge runs then that will add a different dimension to the offense. He is the home run threat on this offense and the only back with speed and elusivness in the open field to make people miss and take it the distance.

He is also a much harder runner then he gets credit for. That was displayed in the pre season. He was plowing into defenders and not shying away from contact. Usually for smaller speedy backs they do tend to shy away from contact. However Hillman doesn't.

If they want to play him on special teams then they will. He is not incapable and probably will get some reps on returns. However hopefully Omar Bolden makes that role his own and Hillman or Caldwell can fill in their from time to time. But I am sure he would be good in this area if asked to.

Here is every run of his from a game in college against Air Force. It is not highlights so it isn't just the good plays. It is all of them. You can see that he is a back who is cut from the same cloth as a Darren Sproles or another comparison I like, Jamal Charles.

Anyone who questions his first step or burst has no clue what so ever to what they are talking about. Look at the play at 3.51 - 4.00. It shows the kind of pure speedster and athlete he is. He has speed and when he wants to get to top speed he gets to it, and he gets to it quick. And that play is not the only one from the video which highlights this asset.
          Last edited by johnlimburg; 09-05-2012, 06:56 AM.

Comment

He's bigger than Sproles and can run between the tackles. Hillman was also a workhorse in college so he shouldn't have stamina issues. The only real comparison between the two is probably elusiveness and the threat to take it to the house.

As far as returning punts I'd rather them have him doing it but most teams don't trust a rookie back there if you weren't drafted for that sole purpose. Another reason could be the injury which has limited his reps in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
              He's bigger than Sproles and can run between the tackles. Hillman was also a workhorse in college so he shouldn't have stamina issues. The only real comparison between the two is probably elusiveness and the threat to take it to the house.

As far as returning punts I'd rather them have him doing it but most teams don't trust a rookie back there if you weren't drafted for that sole purpose. Another reason could be the injury which has limited his reps in practice.
              They are the same weight and Hillman is 4 inches taller, so if anything he is skinnier than sproles.

Comment

I think we will have a better idea of if he can be a Sproles type after the first couple of weeks. He's the kind of back that is going to need 10-15 carries most games to get the 1-2 big plays. But I am excited to see what he can do with Te first team O line; and Peyton getting him the ball in open space.

Comment

My only concern watching his full carry vids is that defenses don't seem to wear out against him, its almost like they don't get tired at all.
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

So, in reading the responses, it is clear that he IS NOT A SPROLES TYPE?

Dont get me wrong. I think you are all right, and since I had seen his highlight videos after they drafted him, I personally didnt see a Sproles type.

Why did we all get that impression? Was it Elway that said that?

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post

Exactly.

Its not comparing Hillman to sproles as a runner but comparing the type of player they will be. Hillman will come in on screens, catch passes and be able to bust one to the house, just like sproles.

Anyone with a pair of eyes can see they do not run similar at all. As far as returning punts, you don't want a guy with a sore hammy to do that yet....we have barely seen him in action. Let's see what he's has once full speed before we put him back there
                      So far:
                      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                        They are the same weight and Hillman is 4 inches taller, so if anything he is skinnier than sproles.
                        Hillmans playing weight is about 200-205 lbs. If I'm not mistaken that is about 15 lbs heavier than Darren Sproles. 10-15lbs is a lot as a running back so no they are not the same weight.

Comment

Sproles was not who he was in his first rookie game and neither will Hillman be.

All I expect from Hillman is to make a few plays and allow McGahee to rest. I hope he can block.

Allow the rookie to learn the game before we except him to make plays like a vet

In terms of how fast he is or any of that...only game day action will tell us that for sure

Allot of players have made 40 times look stupid on both sides of the coin
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

We got the impression that he is a Sproles type back because he is. That is the botttom line. They are not an exact match obviously but they are the same type of guys. They have smilar skill sets and play the same sort of role in the sport of football. I would be interested to hear why some think they actually differ and it should be easy to explain because it is "so clear". All I see here are huge Knwoshon Moreno fans trying to take away from Ronnie Hillman.

And I thought I would touch on something I was just reading in another thread. It was questions about Ronnie Hillmans speed. Yes he ran a 4.50 at the combine but if anyone thinks you are getting a regular 4.50 back speed wise then you need to get your eyes checked. Here is a video of Hillman breaking off a 99 yard run. Get a stop watch and time how long it takes him to get from the 15 yard line to the opposition 45 yard line. I will give you a hint. It is sub 4.30 with a run up.

Comment

I'm thinkin' Hillman is a more Hillman type than a Sproles type.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X