Gary Kubiak's play calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Kubiak's play calling

I have to say that I am very disappointed in Kubiak's play calling. They ran Portis all day as if Gary Kubiak was out to prove to Butch Davis how wrong he was in the draft.

It seems to me that Broncs got just a little too caught up in trying to prove Portis.

The Browns had planned for a heavy dose of Portis and for the most part, they shut him down ALL DAY LONG. Why did the OC not adjust to this and start going with more passing plays, naked-boots, reverses????

In OT, they ran portis 7 straigth times before he got hurt. They knew, or should have known that he was getting or must have already been tired. Why did they not put in Mike Anderson to chew up a few yards????

They were hell-bent on proving Portis and not adjusting to the Browns' D between halves.

What is shocking about Portis's injury is that Shanahan had been pretty good about pulling his A-players out of the game early to minimize injury.

I love the Broncos, but let's call a spade a spade.

Both Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan deserve the Donkey award for the day for their utter determination to prove the media right and Butch Davis wrong.

Sometimes Kubiak's play calling is much less than desirable.

Some of the people on this board are ridiculous.

If they can't stop the run, then RUN THE BALL. They ran it down their throat and the browns couldn't stop them. Game over.

Comment

Did they really cram it down their throat

Ya, they sure did cram it down their throat, CP with his 3.7 YPC average on 38 attempts when he is normally above 5.5 yards per carry.

sure dude. maybe you should check the stats or watch the game.

There was no reason to run Portis 7 time straight.

Comment

Run Portis

I don't think the Browns were overly affective stopping Portis. He may not of had a high percentage of yards per carry but he did rush for over 139 yards & two TD's. You always stick with whats working.

Good Victory. Its nice to win the close ones.

Comment

Originally posted by bcollin1
          If we'd have done that naked bootleg at the beginning of the game instead of the end, those runs up the middle for 8 yards would have easily turned into MUCH longer runs.

I'm telling you...Shanahan was just calling that stuff because he doesn't want Indy to have a good feel for our outside run plays.

Watch the Indy game...you'll see.
          Excellent point.

That naked bootleg was a thing of beauty, man I was laughing my A$$ off the way the Browns bit on that.
          Those plays were also effective against KC and I think you're right the game plan for Indy will be early outside running and bootlegs, this should set up a nice possession game later on to control the clock and keep that offense off the field.
          Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

The big picture

I agree with you that Shanahan has a much larger plan and he probably did not want to expose new plays to Indy or the Pack.

I'm just pissed about another injury. This season and last have been horrible.

At least we got good ol' number 56 back!!!! Too bad Ian Gold will be out. Man the line-backing core was (and still is) looking awesome.

One thing that few people openly recognize about Shanahan is that during his winning seasons, his defense has been the 2nd or 3rd ranked.

Comment

3.7 yds/rush aint' bad if they were gunning for the run. That's still a 1st down every 3rd carry. As far as running CP on the OT series, everyone says give it to the one who got you there. CP is the main guy. Sure Mike and Ruben are available but can they give the output needed in that situation. Mike has been out for four weeks and do you want to put him in at that juncture. No one can predict an injury and it's unfortunate that it happened to one of the most valued players on the team. We'll just have to wait and hope his status is good for Sunday. If not then Mike and Ruben will have to step up to the plate. Knowing Mike, he'll want to redeem himself to the team and his fans.

Comment

Originally posted by bcollin1
                I'm telling you...Shanahan was just calling that stuff because he doesn't want Indy to have a good feel for our outside run plays.

Watch the Indy game...you'll see.
                sounds like a large dose of blind faith... good luck swallowing that next Sunday.
                The NFL 2005 season... The season the NFL finally changed the rule around cut-blocking. Now will Denver actually play nice?

"I predict Jake & the offense will take pretty good care of the ball and there will be no turnovers™" - urinal_cake

Originally posted by EMCF
                But wait until you meet a team of non-pansy players who can get it down for 4 quarters.

Comment

Working...
                X