No announcement yet.

Joe Mays has impressed me..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Mays is terrible. He misses as many tackles as he makes because he always tries to go for the big hit

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
      We had no DT and dj was pretty much the only backer

He still would be an upgrade over Mays
      I dare you to name our 2003 DTs. I'll throw you a bone on Al's fellow LBs that season though - Jashon Sykes and Donnie Spragan had to start 8 games each. Still had a pretty good run D though.
      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
        I dare you to name our 2003 DTs. I'll throw you a bone on Al's fellow LBs that season though - Jashon Sykes and Donnie Spragan had to start 8 games each. Still had a pretty good run D though.
        So our bad run D was a direct reflection of DJ as a MLB? C'mon man.....

Our DL was awful especially inside. How can you knock DJ for being the only damn player on the team who could tackle... We could have had Ray Lewis at MLB and the run D would probably been just as bad.

DJ is a fantastic WLB and MLB. Statistics prove it.
        sigpic

Comment

I say place the blame on all of the LB's. We have good LB's when it comes to the run, but not one of them can cover a man on a passing down. I am waiting for JDR to start putting TE's in to cover the other TE's.
          sigpic
          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Joe 'Wrong Gap' Mays is the worst starting MLB in the NFL. In the rare instance that he does guess the right gap to fill, he's usually either late getting there or misses the tackle. Most of the time he just takes himself out of plays by trying to shoot a gap away from the play. Anyone watch the Gonzalez TD last night where he was uncovered? Go back and watch the play again. Mays lets him run right by while standing in one spot trying to locate the ball. Pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
              I say place the blame on all of the LB's. We have good LB's when it comes to the run, but not one of them can cover a man on a passing down. I am waiting for JDR to start putting TE's in to cover the other TE's.
              The only LB we have that is good against the run is Von Miller. The other ones are making some plays because the DLine is eating up blockers in the run game and giving them room to run.

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                So our bad run D was a direct reflection of DJ as a MLB? C'mon man.....

Our DL was awful especially inside. How can you knock DJ for being the only damn player on the team who could tackle... We could have had Ray Lewis at MLB and the run D would probably been just as bad.

DJ is a fantastic WLB and MLB. Statistics prove it.
                And which statistics would those be out of interest? Because if you're going by tackles...well, the less said about that reasoning, the better.

Obviously, run D is not a pure reflection of the effectiveness of the MLB, but a good MLB can help to hide the deficiencies of a DL (within reason, of course). For example, Al Wilson in 2003. Yeah, I know that the DL situation in 07 was really poor, but DJ simply didn't and doesn't have the ability to rise above that. As I said, I think that DJ is a decent player, but he's just a step slow in diagnosing what's in front of him, and because of that, he'll forever be a solid player but not a playmaker.
                sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
                  And which statistics would those be out of interest? Because if you're going by tackles...well, the less said about that reasoning, the better.

Obviously, run D is not a pure reflection of the effectiveness of the MLB, but a good MLB can help to hide the deficiencies of a DL (within reason, of course). For example, Al Wilson in 2003. Yeah, I know that the DL situation in 07 was really poor, but DJ simply didn't and doesn't have the ability to rise above that. As I said, I think that DJ is a decent player, but he's just a step slow in diagnosing what's in front of him, and because of that, he'll forever be a solid player but not a playmaker.
                  DJ's ability to do everything well is what makes him a playmaker. Remember his huge sack in Miami last year?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post
                    I think people are frustrated because generally a MLB is to a defense what a QB is to an offense, and thus expect Mays to be a can-do-it-all impact player. Maybe a star safety can compensate, but there are none to be seen on our roster.
                    Thats fine but that doesn't make Joe Mays play bad. It isn't amazing but them guys don't grow on trees. Look at who some wanted in the off season. Curtis Lofton. There run defense is horrible and it is not all indicative on the middle linebacker.

Yes Joe Mays has had some troubles in the past but he looks fine this season. He has been good and I am not worried about him at all right now. I think once DJ Williams gets back the linebacking core will be in much better shape. Mays, Williams and Miller looks great.

And I agree a safety is also a big need. And again these guys seem to be even harder to find. I think that in the next draft or ree agency getting a top noth safety is a must. I still think Quinton Carter could be a great guy for us and Rahim Moore is getting better. But it isn't going to happen overnight.

Comment

Mays is a tough, quick, hardworking MLB who does what his coaches ask of him. It's not his fault that he is often asked to line up far outside the MLB's traditional area. I suspect if we stopped running such crazy schemes and let our players play their positions, we would be more successful. As for Brooking, his experience seems to be an asset to the team. He seems to know where to be and reads plays well.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                        Mays is a tough, quick, hardworking MLB who does what his coaches ask of him. It's not his fault that he is often asked to line up far outside the MLB's traditional area. I suspect if we stopped running such crazy schemes and let our players play their positions, we would be more successful. As for Brooking, his experience seems to be an asset to the team. He seems to know where to be and reads plays well.
                        LOL @ quick. He Is only a tackle to tackle linebacker. Whenever the play is outside the tackles he is always a step behind. I've seen him trailing on so many plays it's not even funny.
                        Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

Working...
                        X