Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

one glaring need to me after the first 4 games(lack of punt returning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one glaring need to me after the first 4 games(lack of punt returning)

we need a punt returner REALLY bad, jim leonard is sooo slow, he probably has a 2 yd return avg...his 40 time has got to be like 5.5, i would rather him back up at safety and get someone else to return punts because he stinks at it

I was thinking this myself during the game.

Comment

it doesnt matter when we have manning, fox and co would rather have a sure handed vet that makes good decisions than a guy who can avg 5ish more yards a PR

and i cant really blame them
      sigpic
      -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
        it doesnt matter when we have manning, fox and co would rather have a sure handed vet that makes good decisions than a guy who can avg 5ish more yards a PR

and i cant really blame them
        That's supposedly the draw with Leonard. He doesn't drop the ball or attempt to make risky returns. That's a good thing, but he does seem to be slower than I remember him being in BAL. He's crazy slow. If the Broncos get into a spot where they need a big return, you'd think they probably have someone else in mind.

Comment

I posted this after last weeks game too. I understand they value someone smart who can make the catch but seriously sometimes he has 20 yards of free space in front of him and gains like 5 yards.

This just makes me miss Eddie Royal even more. He was a smart, safe and explosive returner
          Dumervil's Biggest Fan

Comment

I think you guys should try Andre Caldwell as PR. Slot wideouts are good in space and Stokely is more important than Caldwell.

Comment

Not a desperate need. Leonhard is doing fine. I'll take sure hands and five yards. Cam he be improved upon? Yes, but I wouldn't call it a glaring need, it isn't a real detriment to our success.

Comment

I like the idea of maybe trying Caldwell there.

Comment

Whenever he returns punts, I use it as a bathroom break or beverage run.
                  Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

It's a combination of things. Remember though, mid-season isn't time for a trial-and-error thing. It's not like the coaches probably haven't tried a few guys during camps and practice.

It could also be blocking, choosing to block vs. return, how the punter sets it up, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by killacal View Post
                      we need a punt returner REALLY bad, jim leonard is sooo slow, he probably has a 2 yd return avg...his 40 time has got to be like 5.5, i would rather him back up at safety and get someone else to return punts because he stinks at it
                      sigpic

Comment

I really miss Eddie Royal.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by killacal View Post
                          Completely agree, and thats why I have said since the day it happened it was a mistake to not resign Royal.
                          sigpic

Comment

The Broncos have faster players to return punts, but apparently they don't care about a big punt return. More than anything, they don't want to see a muffed punt. Leonhard will secure the ball, go to the ground and then Manning will go to work. I think this is their mentality on special teams. Manning can overcome field position; just don't give the ball to the other team. I don't agree with this. I think they should have a more explosive player returning punts. Unfortunately, Leonhard seems to be the slowest man on the screen when the ball is in his hands.

And I believe the Broncos were interested in re-signing Royal, but he was overpriced in the free agent market. The Redkins wanted to sign Royal and then he received a $13,5 million contract with $6 million guaranteed from the Chargers, something the Broncos would never pay for a player that has been invisible on offense. So far, he has 9 catches for 45 yards and 1 TD with the Chargers. Stokley, the 36-year old veteran with a $925,000 contract, has 13 catches for 158 yards and 1 TD. The Broncos saved some serious money.

Hillman, Caldwell, Bolden and other players could probably return punts, but the Broncos are more worried about ball security, so we might not see a good punt return this season.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                              That's supposedly the draw with Leonard. He doesn't drop the ball or attempt to make risky returns. That's a good thing, but he does seem to be slower than I remember him being in BAL. He's crazy slow. If the Broncos get into a spot where they need a big return, you'd think they probably have someone else in mind.
                              They do.

Last week they stuck in Decker.

Leonhard is just a safe bet who won't turn the ball over. When we need a big return, we put in Decker.

Comment

Working...
                              X