Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think that the Broncos are better suited for a 3-4 defense?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone else think that the Broncos are better suited for a 3-4 defense?

    Once DJ is back if we moved him back to the middle (yes again lol) to play alongside Mays. It's tough to bench a guy like Woodyard the way he is plays. Then of course we have Von Miller on the other side. We don't have the greatest line in the NFL so this kinda helps with that. I know Del Rio has run a 4-3 his entire career as far as I know.

    This team is made to run a 3-4 imo I know you can't really switch mid-season but every time I think about it I can't believe we're not running the 3-4. I'm sorry if this has been beat to death already or not.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Medlas View Post
    Once DJ is back if we moved him back to the middle (yes again lol) to play alongside Mays. It's tough to bench a guy like Woodyard the way he is plays. Then of course we have Von Miller on the other side. We don't have the greatest line in the NFL so this kinda helps with that. I know Del Rio has run a 4-3 his entire career as far as I know.

    This team is made to run a 3-4 imo I know you can't really switch mid-season but every time I think about it I can't believe we're not running the 3-4. I'm sorry if this has been beat to death already or not.
    You can't really run a successful 3-4 defense without a Nose, and we don't have that. Also, Doom wouldn't be suitable as a 3-4 DE. Remember that Nolen moved him back to OLB, so now you have Woodyard who is undersized as a 3-4 OLB (and virtually useless now), and Doom and Von starting at LB. Bannan and Vickerson would be decent 3-4 DE's, but really how does that improve our line? Especially with no nose.

    Btw, DJ at Inside Backer was a gross misuse of his ability. He isn't nearly as good there.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      The 3-4 NT is just as important to the 3-4 as the MLB is to the 4-3.

      We have neither, well we have players we can plug in there but none of our LBs is going to make us think about Al Wilson just like none of our DL is going to make us think about any pro bowl 3-4 NT

      IMO, player wise, we have just as many holes in the 3-4 as we do in the 4-3.

      The difference is coaching and years of building we have in the 4-3

      When we drafted Von IMO we should have went 3-4. Our defense would be better today if we did.

      While I think Von and Doom are better OLB then the positions they play in the 4-3 I also think they are elite players in the 4-3 and will be elite players regardless of 3-4 or 4-3. IMO they both would make more game changing plays in the 3-4.

      If we changed to a 3-4 now though it would set the team back realistically 2-3 years

      Most importantly our defense needs to stop changing ... we MUST give our players a year to build on knowing the same defense is we wanna win a ring
      Last edited by Hadez; 10-05-2012, 07:21 AM.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hardcorebronco View Post
        You can't really run a successful 3-4 defense without a Nose, and we don't have that. Also, Doom wouldn't be suitable as a 3-4 DE. Remember that Nolen moved him back to OLB, so now you have Woodyard who is undersized as a 3-4 OLB (and virtually useless now), and Doom and Von starting at LB. Bannan and Vickerson would be decent 3-4 DE's, but really how does that improve our line? Especially with no nose.

        Btw, DJ at Inside Backer was a gross misuse of his ability. He isn't nearly as good there.
        Vickerson is around 320 pounds, he can play nose. And also Derek Wolfe is a prototypical 3-4 DE.
        Denver Broncos GM
        Originally posted by Mosk
        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

        Comment


        • #5
          I thought DJ,was suspended for 6 games...
          I support Kaepernick 100%

          Comment


          • #6
            I dont see that helping us much stopping the run, and in our div that is HUGE!

            Then again, that crazy stuff where everyone was standing up and shifting pre-snap against the Raiders was kind of interesting and might play to having an extra LB in the mix instead of a DT
            Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
            Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
            Kyle: Yeah.
            Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
            Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

            Kyle: Go Broncos.
            Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
            Cartman: Yeah.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
              Vickerson is around 320 pounds, he can play nose. And also Derek Wolfe is a prototypical 3-4 DE.
              Just because he has the weight to play doesn't mean he can play the position with consistent success. That's the difference. He's a plug, not "the guy". NT or DT, MIke or Jack, positions that have been consistently ignored for 3 regimes now. Even the Wolfe pick. As much as a high motor guy as he is, is he a DT or a DE? While Ayres wasn't a Pro Bowler, he was solid and consistent all last season. WHY NOT DRAFT OR AQUIRE A POWERFUL POCKET COLLAPSING DT TO COMPLIMENT BOTH OUR IMPROVED SECONDARY AND OUR HOBBLED LB CREW?????? So 3-4 or 4-3 our line is full of rotational players and 1 true starter. That needs to be fixed, not the scheme.
              #swapping

              Comment


              • #8
                You know what I think JDR, fox and elway no a thousand percenct more about football then every fan on this board combined so I trust there decision to stay in the 4-3
                A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would say everyone is right so far. We have holes in no matter what scheme we choose right now. If we drafted a big NT, then yes we would be perfect for a 3-4, but that didn't happen. Our coaching staff also isn't setup for a 3-4.

                  The obvious pieces are there in Doom and Von, but the rest isnt.
                  Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    he still isnt the type of guy that can play nt. he isnt a guy that can eat up enough blocks freeing up the linebackers.

                    nt is the most important piece to a 3-4 defense. you cannot just plug someone into the spot and expect it to work.

                    plus doom would play olb not de in the 3-4. he is too small.
                    Last edited by Syvari; 10-05-2012, 08:04 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                      I would say everyone is right so far. We have holes in no matter what scheme we choose right now. If we drafted a big NT, then yes we would be perfect for a 3-4, but that didn't happen. Our coaching staff also isn't setup for a 3-4.

                      The obvious pieces are there in Doom and Von, but the rest isnt.
                      exactly. plus mays would probably be perfect in the 3-4 ilb. so in essence we would not be fixing the problem

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Syvari View Post
                        he still isnt the type of guy that can play nt. he isnt a guy that can eat up enough blocks freeing up the linebackers.

                        nt is the most important piece to a 3-4 defense. you cannot just plug someone into the spot and expect it to work.

                        plus doom would play olb not de in the 3-4. he is too small.

                        There is more than one type of 3-4 scheme. Basically the only team left running a traditional space eating 2 gap system is Crennel with the Chiefs.

                        The Texans don't run anything close to a 2-gap system. Do they even have a 300lbs'er on their defensive line? They run a high tempo single gap system. The same scheme Philips ran with the Cowboys with a 304lbs nose tackle. Shading the NT to off shoulder makes a huge difference in the role.

                        The nose tackle in our current 4-3 scheme plays the one tech single 'A' gap, asked to take on the center and the gaurd to the side he is shaded to, basically the same as the NT in the single gap 3-4 system.

                        With Von and Doom, I feel our best assets are speed and pass rush. Does that mean a 3-4 switch is needed? Naw, but I think it would put better use of our assets.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Whenever we run the 4-3, you get a thread every month saying that we should move to the 3-4.

                          Whenever we run the 3-4, you get a thread every month saying that we should move the 4-3.

                          Our D is nominally 4-3, but we run a lot of different fronts - we run a lot of 4-3 over fronts (somewhat like the 5-2 that Mike Nolan ran in 2009) as well as 4-3, 3-3-5, psycho etc. In the league now, the 4-3 and 3-4 tags have become somewhat arbitrary.
                          sigpic

                          Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

                          Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by muse View Post
                            Whenever we run the 4-3, you get a thread every month saying that we should move to the 3-4.

                            Whenever we run the 3-4, you get a thread every month saying that we should move the 4-3.

                            Our D is nominally 4-3, but we run a lot of different fronts - we run a lot of 4-3 over fronts (somewhat like the 5-2 that Mike Nolan ran in 2009) as well as 4-3, 3-3-5, psycho etc. In the league now, the 4-3 and 3-4 tags have become somewhat arbitrary.
                            This. Where is the facepalm meme that reads "Not this same shi$$ again!"
                            We are going with Plan A

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              No, and here's why. Our only advantage of 3-4 is Dumervil. Who would play NT? Bannan showed before he can only play 4-3 DT. Wolfe is playing 4-3 DE, since he has struggles against double coverage. He's no fit. Maybe Unrein could.

                              Until Williams returns, we wouldn't have very good LB depth. I know we currently don't either, but this would add another LB. Woodyard, Mays, Dumervil, and Miller would obviously be the starters. Ayers is strictly a 4-3 DE. He's shown that.

                              We're a better fit right now for 4-3.
                              sigpic

                              2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                              Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X