No announcement yet.

Most insulting play in recent memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow. the play sealed the game for them. how is that insulting?

grow thicker skin

Comment

Originally posted by TD30* View Post
      wow. the play sealed the game for them. how is that insulting?

grow thicker skin
      Well... let's see.... that play didn't seal the game for them, at all. It actually came close to sparking a comeback for us, combined with that fumble they had shortly after. So maybe we're not talking about the same play...

And why would I need thicker skin? I don't feel insulted one bit. However, if I was the one coaching the Broncos, and I saw something like that, I might consider it to be a jab. You don't go for it on 4th and 5 with 8 minutes to go, and a 10 point lead, if you're concerned about the other team coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomo 2000 View Post
        Well... let's see.... that play didn't seal the game for them, at all. It actually came close to sparking a comeback for us, combined with that fumble they had shortly after. So maybe we're not talking about the same play...

And why would I need thicker skin? I don't feel insulted one bit. However, if I was the one coaching the Broncos, and I saw something like that, I might consider it to be a jab. You don't go for it on 4th and 5 with 8 minutes to go, and a 10 point lead, if you're concerned about the other team coming back.
        why would you ask "Most insulting play in recent memory?" and have your position be "I wasnt insulted at all". makes no sense

there's too many flaws in what you just said. You say their decision was made because they werent afraid of a comeback, yet if we stopped them it couldve sparked a comeback, but they got the play so it in fact...stopped the potential of a comeback, hence sealing the game. not to mention we were getting good pressure on brady so i REALLY doubt their train of thought was "they suck, lets go for it and rub in their faces because we'll get it for sure".

And i'm sure the broncos were very confident in getting the ball back and making a comeback (wouldve gotten very close without the mcgahee fumble) so they probably viewed the play as "crap theyre going to have the ball for another series at least and use up the clock" and not "wow they have no respect for us"

someone else also pointed out they were too far for a field goal since our field position would be midfield if they missed it, and too close for a punt, which played a big part in the decision
        Last edited by TD30*; 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TD30* View Post
          why would you ask "Most insulting play in recent memory?" and have your position be "I wasnt insulted at all". makes no sense

there's too many flaws in what you just said. You say their decision was made because they werent afraid of a comeback, yet if we stopped them it couldve sparked a comeback, but they got the play so it in fact...stopped the potential of a comeback, hence sealing the game. not to mention we were getting good pressure on brady so i REALLY doubt their train of thought was "they suck, lets go for it and rub in their faces because we'll get it for sure".

And i'm sure the broncos were very confident in getting the ball back and making a comeback (wouldve gotten very close without the mcgahee fumble) so they probably viewed the play as "crap theyre going to have the ball for another series at least and use up the clock" and not "wow they have no respect for us"

someone else also pointed out they were too far for a field goal since our field position would be midfield if they missed it, and too close for a punt, which played a big part in the decision
          Well.... you're getting a little fuzzy, but I'll give it a go, anyway....

When the Patriots are doing something "insulting", I don't have to feel personally insulted. Meaning... it could be disrespect aimed at the other team's coaching staff (Broncos, if I'm not clear...) So ya. I'm not insulted at all. But it was a questionable call for the time left in game, score differential, and field position.

You did watch the game, right? Because I think that I did, and I seem to remember that the Patriots didn't actually convert on that play... and they gave us a great chance to get back in it... soooo.... not really sure what you're even saying any more.

(And btw... incomplete passes don't eat up the clock... that's what runs up the gut (or punts) are for.)

edit: unless they actually planned for Brady to get sacked there... hmm... I sense another conspiracy brewing.
          Last edited by Awesomo 2000; 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

The N.E coaching staff and Brady are so arrogant it's unreal, I pray we get them in the playoffs
            UNITED IN ORANGE!

Comment

great decision on their part despite the outcome...can't believe anyone would have a problem with this WORRY ABOUT WHAT WE DO...well don't "worry" but you get my point

Comment

I thought it was arrogant as all get out

Glad it failed and it usually does that's why you don't do it.

Gave US the opportunity to quick score and get back IN the game

Arrogant fail is what it was
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                  I thought it was arrogant as all get out

Glad it failed and it usually does that's why you don't do it.

Gave US the opportunity to quick score and get back IN the game

Arrogant fail is what it was
                  That's pretty much what I was getting at. I didn't mean that I took any personal offense to it. It was just a very poor decision, from a strategic point of view, and I don't see why they would do that, unless they were just that confident that we couldn't beat them.

I was wondering if people had seen similar plays recently, which made no sense at all, strategically, and just seemed like an "insult" to the other team. (I don't count blowouts, since there's really no concern of a comeback, in those)

Comment

At this thread. Why do people get so offended by the dumbest things? We didn't stop them all game, so why not continue to do it? They played to win the game. And in my honest opinion, it shows respect towards Manning and the Broncos offense. Keep them off the field at all costs. Kinda like when the Pats went for it on thier own 30 or so against Indy a few years back. Its not disrespectful. They want to win, and they want to keep Brady off the field. Why punt, when our D wasn't stopping them? I salute the Patriots for that. And I'm glad our D made a big stop on them.
                    :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosPWNn00bs View Post
                      At this thread. Why do people get so offended by the dumbest things? We didn't stop them all game, so why not continue to do it? They played to win the game. And in my honest opinion, it shows respect towards Manning and the Broncos offense. Keep them off the field at all costs. Kinda like when the Pats went for it on thier own 30 or so against Indy a few years back. Its not disrespectful. They want to win, and they want to keep Brady off the field. Why punt, when our D wasn't stopping them? I salute the Patriots for that. And I'm glad our D made a big stop on them.
                      I guess my thread title was bound to be misinterpreted. I'm not talking about some sissy form of cry me a river butthurt. I'm saying that as professional coaches, if felt like belichick was practically insulting Fox and the Broncos by running that play, at that time, with that score, and with that field position.

Can't think of a perfect analogy, but maybe this'll do. It'd be kinda like a poker player bluffing you out of hand after hand after hand, because he knows you don't have the guts (or ability) to make him pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by NYColt View Post
                        Sorry I don't see it this way - remember when BB went for it on 4th and 2? That wasn't being disrespectful - if anything that was the utmost respect to Peyton Manning and his ability to comeback

BB realized the Broncos were starting to have some momentum and he's seen too many times when he thought Manning was down and out (last year same situation it was like 31-7 in the 4th quarter before a furious comeback pulled them to within 3) only to see the lead evaporate

If anything I see it as a mark of respect and fear of Manning ...you just know he probably messed up his pants just a little when Ridley fumbled
                        You nailed it. Any other interpretation is just whining. BB has lost many a game to Peyton in the fourth quarter. He has the utmost respect. It was too long for a field goal, and the Patriot punter isn't that good, so it probably would have ended up at the 20 yard line anyway even if they punted.

It was the right football call.

Broncos put up a great fight. Wasn't their night. They might meet again in the playoffs. Great to see two of the best going head-to-head. We won't see it many more years they are both getting a bit long in the tooth.

Comment

I guess my thread title was bound to be misinterpreted. I'm not talking about some sissy form of cry me a river butthurt. I'm saying that as professional coaches, if felt like belichick was practically insulting Fox and the Broncos by running that play, at that time, with that score, and with that field position.

Can't think of a perfect analogy, but maybe this'll do. It'd be kinda like a poker player bluffing you out of hand after hand after hand, because he knows you don't have the guts (or ability) to make him pay for it.
                          Hello,

JUst wanted to chime in.

1. There is no perfect analogy because I believe there is none.

2. We have to understand that an offense has 4 downs to get 10 yards. What they do with it is up to them.

3. There is no mercy rule in pro sports. These people are paid millions to win. The offense is paid to score and defense is paid to stop.

4. There is nothing illegal about going for it on 4th and 5. In fact, I would be happy if i'm down 20 points and the other team is giving me a chance to stop them.

5. How do you know John Fox was insulted? Only fans seem to get insulted.

6. If the poker player can bluff every hand, then he is a genius and I would acknowledge that. I should only feel insulted at myself for being bluffed.

7. I think this comes down to you being potentially embarrassed had the play been successful.

8. What I saw was a chance for NE to close out the game. It was too close to punt and too far to kick. The worst scenario for them and best scenario for broncos happened when the center, Wendell, missed a key block.

9. People who still whine about pooch punts and running up the score need to grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by nabwong View Post

4. There is nothing illegal about going for it on 4th and 5. In fact, I would be happy if i'm down 20 points and the other team is giving me a chance to stop them.
                            Of course it isn't illegal, but this kinda says why I think it's so insulting (to Fox, and the team). We're down only ten points and there's about 8 minutes to go, but he's gonna do a very stupid gamble, because he doesn't think we can make him pay for it. Going for it on 4th and 5 is rarely a good decision, unless it's on the last drive of the game. They were up by 10 and had no reason to make any desperation moves like that.

5. How do you know John Fox was insulted? Only fans seem to get insulted.
                            I didn't say that he was insulted. But he may have been. Who knows? All I do know, is that the patriots picked a blatantly stupid play to run in that situation, and we still couldn't make them pay for it.

6. If the poker player can bluff every hand, then he is a genius and I would acknowledge that. I should only feel insulted at myself for being bluffed.
                            Bluffing every hand isn't genious. It's arrogant and stupid. But if you keep getting away with it, it says more about the people you're playing against than your own skill. But this probably isn't a forum for poker strategy...

Comment

Of course it isn't illegal, but this kinda says why I think it's so insulting (to Fox, and the team). We're down only ten points and there's about 8 minutes to go, but he's gonna do a very stupid gamble, because he doesn't think we can make him pay for it. Going for it on 4th and 5 is rarely a good decision, unless it's on the last drive of the game. They were up by 10 and had no reason to make any desperation moves like that.

I didn't say that he was insulted. But he may have been. Who knows? All I do know, is that the patriots picked a blatantly stupid play to run in that situation, and we still couldn't make them pay for it.

Bluffing every hand isn't genious. It's arrogant and stupid. But if you keep getting away with it, it says more about the people you're playing against than your own skill. But this probably isn't a forum for poker strategy...
                              Why are u worried what plays the pats call? That's what so many people are trying to get u to understand. If they pay for it, shouldn't u be happy? They did pay for it. So shouldn't u be happy?

It wasn't a desperation move. Only u think that. Saints vs colts Super Bowl. Was Sean Payton arrogant to call inside kick on the 2nd half kickoff? He had so much respect for manning and he knew his offense needed to keep manning off the field to have any chance of winning. It paid off. But if it didn't, everyone would crucify him. The line between genius and stupidity is extremely thin but u gotta try to have a chance. This is something fox and his conservative approach can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by nabwong View Post
                                Why are u worried what plays the pats call? That's what so many people are trying to get u to understand. If they pay for it, shouldn't u be happy? They did pay for it. So shouldn't u be happy?

It wasn't a desperation move. Only u think that. Saints vs colts Super Bowl. Was Sean Payton arrogant to call inside kick on the 2nd half kickoff? He had so much respect for manning and he knew his offense needed to keep manning off the field to have any chance of winning. It paid off. But if it didn't, everyone would crucify him. The line between genius and stupidity is extremely thin but u gotta try to have a chance. This is something fox and his conservative approach can't fathom.
                                I don't think I'm quite as worried as you seem to think I am...

This happens to be a discussion board.

I figured I'd try to discuss one play that stood out as particularly bad. It really made little sense to me at the time.

Other people see the play differently, and are telling me so.

This begins a discussion.

Sometimes, during discussions, people will disagree.

I fail to see the problem here, or why my opinion of that play is so terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X