X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos-R-Great
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomo 2000 View Post
    I guess I should expect that people will just read the thread title and post without reading much. I'm not personally offended at all by what they did. Our team played terribly and deserved to get blown out, even worse than the score indicates. The Broncos shouldn't concern themselves at all with what they allow the Patriots to do to them. They just need to get it together and stop them.

The real point that I was getting at (and apparently misworded in the thread title) is that this play seemed to have no other purpose than to "stick it" to Fox and/or the Broncos. I understand that going for it on 4th down should happen more often, but not when it's 4th and 5 from the middle of the field. If you really respect Manning, you pin him at his own endzone, not give him the ball at midfield.

Even if the Patriots converted, it would have made little difference in the outcome of the game. They punt, defend, keep the clock going, and game over. Going for it on 4th and 5 with no good reason just looks like a direct insult. Not a smart football play.
    I think you're missing the point that everybody here is trying to make.

There was a strategy to going for it on 4th. They were on the edge of field goal range, a long field goal in the wet conditions was unlikely, and punting the ball would likely result in a touchback with the net result of only 15 yards. In that part of the field, usually the smartest decision is to go for it on 4th.

They get a first there, they can run more clock, get more yards and kick a field goal, or possibly get a touchdown, essentially putting the game out of reach. Belichick had seen Manning nearly come back against Houston and Atlanta, he knew what he was capable of, he saw a chance to essentially end the game with a first down so he took it.

Of course it looks idiotic because the play failed so miserably, leading to easy points for the Broncos.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomo 2000
    replied
    Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
    For me, it's a tie between both punt from NE side of the field in the second half. Prater woulda hit both 50 yarders and we would have been in a better position sooner than we were. One was a punt of 37 yards, downed on the 3 that led to a 97 yard td drive by the Pats. Show some faith in our league best kicker...
    Yeah. Some of Fox's decisions are questionable, to put it nicely.

Leave a comment:

• conannilsen
    replied
    For me, it's a tie between both punt from NE side of the field in the second half. Prater woulda hit both 50 yarders and we would have been in a better position sooner than we were. One was a punt of 37 yards, downed on the 3 that led to a 97 yard td drive by the Pats. Show some faith in our league best kicker...

Leave a comment:

• Awesomo 2000
    replied
    I guess I should expect that people will just read the thread title and post without reading much. I'm not personally offended at all by what they did. Our team played terribly and deserved to get blown out, even worse than the score indicates. The Broncos shouldn't concern themselves at all with what they allow the Patriots to do to them. They just need to get it together and stop them.

The real point that I was getting at (and apparently misworded in the thread title) is that this play seemed to have no other purpose than to "stick it" to Fox and/or the Broncos. I understand that going for it on 4th down should happen more often, but not when it's 4th and 5 from the middle of the field. If you really respect Manning, you pin him at his own endzone, not give him the ball at midfield.

Even if the Patriots converted, it would have made little difference in the outcome of the game. They punt, defend, keep the clock going, and game over. Going for it on 4th and 5 with no good reason just looks like a direct insult. Not a smart football play.

Leave a comment:

• Hal9000
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncosPWNn00bs View Post
    Seriously. It makes me laugh actually They complain about the Pats " running up the score" sometimes, and then when they punt on 3rd down, they say its " disrespectful". So by punting it and not running up the score, its disrespectful? I don't know. As long as my team wins, I don't care what we do, or who we disrespect. Its about winning the game. The Pats respect Manning and know what hes capable of. Why give us the ball, when you know that you can go for it and easily make it? I'm glad that we stopped the Pats though, and just wish things would have turned out differently. But I didn't think it was disrespectful at all.
    I'm thankful for fans like you that actually understand the game

Leave a comment:

• BroncosPWNn00bs
    replied
    Originally posted by BradyFTW View Post
    According to a few posters on this thread, the most insulting plays in recent memory were:

1) When the Patriots punted but they weren't supposed to because that's not how it's traditionally done
    2) When the Patriots didn't punt but they were supposed to because that is how it's traditionally done

Sounds like some of you--a minority, to be fair, the majority clearly get it--are just looking for things to be offended by. Belichick went for it for the exact same reason that he went for it on 4th and 2 against Indy: because giving the ball back to Manning in the fourth quarter basically means you're ceding a touchdown. He figured that odds of converting on 4th and 5 were better than the odds of the Pats D getting a stop, even after punting. There were two sides of the equation:

A) the odds of converting on 4th down
    B) (the odds of the Broncos scoring after a punt) - (the odds of the Broncos scoring after a failed conversion attempt)

It's the ultimate compliment to Peyton, really (and a little telling re: how he views your defense, maybe) but a few of you just don't 'get it' enough to realize that.

Side note: years back, some statistics professor published an article explaining how NFL teams punted on fourth down far too often. The Pats were the only team in the league that contacted him. Since then, the Pats have worked with professors from Rutgers and UC Berkley to optimize their decision charts for 4th downs and PAT/2PCs. There are a ton of factors that go into these decisions, and "screw it, I really want to insult the Broncos" is most definitely not one of them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=7536103
    Seriously. It makes me laugh actually They complain about the Pats " running up the score" sometimes, and then when they punt on 3rd down, they say its " disrespectful". So by punting it and not running up the score, its disrespectful? I don't know. As long as my team wins, I don't care what we do, or who we disrespect. Its about winning the game. The Pats respect Manning and know what hes capable of. Why give us the ball, when you know that you can go for it and easily make it? I'm glad that we stopped the Pats though, and just wish things would have turned out differently. But I didn't think it was disrespectful at all.

Leave a comment:

• BradyFTW
    replied
    According to a few posters on this thread, the most insulting plays in recent memory were:

1) When the Patriots punted but they weren't supposed to because that's not how it's traditionally done
    2) When the Patriots didn't punt but they were supposed to because that is how it's traditionally done

Sounds like some of you--a minority, to be fair, the majority clearly get it--are just looking for things to be offended by. Belichick went for it for the exact same reason that he went for it on 4th and 2 against Indy: because giving the ball back to Manning in the fourth quarter basically means you're ceding a touchdown. He figured that odds of converting on 4th and 5 were better than the odds of the Pats D getting a stop, even after punting. There were two sides of the equation:

A) the odds of converting on 4th down
    B) (the odds of the Broncos scoring after a punt) - (the odds of the Broncos scoring after a failed conversion attempt)

It's the ultimate compliment to Peyton, really (and a little telling re: how he views your defense, maybe) but a few of you just don't 'get it' enough to realize that.

Side note: years back, some statistics professor published an article explaining how NFL teams punted on fourth down far too often. The Pats were the only team in the league that contacted him. Since then, the Pats have worked with professors from Rutgers and UC Berkley to optimize their decision charts for 4th downs and PAT/2PCs. There are a ton of factors that go into these decisions, and "screw it, I really want to insult the Broncos" is most definitely not one of them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=7536103

Moskowitz looked at a decade of about 7,000 fourth-down situations in the NFL. He calculated how often fourth-down attempts are successfully converted. He calculated the results of improved field positions from punts. He looked at the outcome of the decisions. He charted out every position on the field and different yardage situations in most of them -- even fourth-and-5 yards to go -- and it made more statistical sense to go for a first down, he said. And the other stats guys agree wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by BradyFTW; 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gmjones2001
    replied
    Originally posted by RockyMtnConvert View Post
    Watching the Broncos D on third and long is insulting enough...
    LOL. QFT.

3rd and SEVENFRICKINTEEN!

Run for 18. No problem.

This has been a trend this year, for this D. 3rd and forever, I'm betting the other team converts.

Odds are with me.

Sux!

Leave a comment:

• Hal9000
    replied
    Going for it on 4th and 5, from the middle of the field, while we're still "in" the game. Wow. I can't remember the last time I saw a play that exuded such disrespect. Sad thing is, even with the ball bouncing our way, we still couldn't make em pay for it. That one really stings.

Are there any other plays people can remember, that were so in-your-face disrespectful?
    Honestly dude, you and others are whining about the most irrelevant things. Instead of whining, why don't you actually take a look at how your team failed in the game's respective. Grow a back bone and grow up a bit. Football is a man's sport. You don't whine, you don't cry, you just play.

Lets put it this way. Bill respects the hell out of Manning. He knows what Manning can do in these situations. Down by three scores? If I can recall, the Pats were blowing out Indy in the 2006 AFC Championship Game and the game in 2009. Guess what? Manning came back to bite us in the butt. So instead of looking for excuses about your team's weak defensive plays, why don't you acknowledge that you lost and that its all business. Seriously dude, football is all business, nothing personal about going for it on 4th and 5 to go.

And why would Fox be insulted by Bill's call? Fox knows he has one of the greatest QBs of all time. He knows that Manning has led multiple comebacks. He knows that given the opportunity, Manning can make something out of the impossible. Bill wanted to close out the game. And if I recall, Manning did a pretty good job of coming back.

Lastly, the Patriots nor anyone else cares if you take it as a so called "insult". They just want to win and thats all there is to it.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomo 2000
    replied
    I can understand the mentality of "just stop them". I think alot of times people whine about this kinda stuff without good reason. I guess I was trying to see it from the coaches' point of view, more. I'd think that between 2 strategists on opposite sides of the field, that would be quite a jab at their pride, with little else to gain. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but I think I'd be a little irritated if something like that happened to me.

It just looked like one of those plays where the only purpose was to dig at the other team. It's not like making that conversion would've helped them much more in the game. There was no do or die situation for them, at all.

Leave a comment:

• BroncosPWNn00bs
    replied
    I guess my thread title was bound to be misinterpreted. I'm not talking about some sissy form of cry me a river butthurt. I'm saying that as professional coaches, if felt like belichick was practically insulting Fox and the Broncos by running that play, at that time, with that score, and with that field position.

Can't think of a perfect analogy, but maybe this'll do. It'd be kinda like a poker player bluffing you out of hand after hand after hand, because he knows you don't have the guts (or ability) to make him pay for it.
    Well I would have done the same thing. We sucked, and we couldn't stop them. Why give us the ball back and give us a chance to do something, when you know that we can't stop them? So instead they went for it, hoping they'd get the 1st, and then they could take another 3 minutes off the clock. They know that Manning can go 60 yards just as quick as he can go 90 yards. Time was our enemy, and they didn't want us to have a chance to come back.

It was a great call by the Patriots, and like I said earlier, it shows respect to Manning and what our offense is capable of.

Leave a comment:

• EvertonBroncos
    replied
    Brady punting the ball on 3rd down was somewhat of an insult. Going for it on 4th and 5 wasn't. The way they were playing they had every right to go for it, a conversion probably would have seeled the game for them more quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Letswinplz77
    replied
    People miss the point!

Originally posted by Syvari View Post
    tom brady punting on third down in the playoffs last year was way worse. i mean it started a fight.
    Elway punted on third down in his career. A couple of times, I think. It's called strategy. Do what the other team won't expect and can't be ready for. It's not disrespectful, nor was going for it on 4th and 5 from the middle of the field. Our offense was moving the ball at that time, their offense is their strength, ovbiously. It's basic logic, go with the one that brought ya there.

The only thing football players owe their opponents is to play the game legally and NOT attempt to injure them. That's it. Do everything you can to insure a win is smart, and sometimes you have to gamble to make that happen. If we hade completed the comeback Bill would have had the 4th and 2 debacle to deal with again, and he would have.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Teams adhere to the mentality of their coaches.

This is proof positive.
    The Pats have always been a bunch of trash talkers; a playoff game in San Diego when Ladanian Tomlinson was with the Chargers comes to mind. I'm surprised there weren't fights yesterday. What goes around comes around.

Leave a comment:

• Hawaii007
    replied
    Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    Insulting in the sense i thought they'd surely convert it the way our sorry D was playing
    I personally was happy, I was playing against Gostkowski in FFB and was afraid they would go for a 50+ FG and make it and screw me over.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X