Joe Mays, seriously???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    again...2006 Colts..3rd offense, 21st defense. Tell me it wasn't because of the offense.......
    The Colts defense got hot at the right time. They gave up 238 ypg and a nice 16.2 ppg in the postseason.

Comment

again...2006 Colts..3rd offense, 21st defense. Tell me it wasn't because of the offense.......
      The D allowed only 10 offensive points to the bears, including only 3 points scored for quarters 2-4.

They forced five turnovers including a pick-6.

That's a pretty dominant performance by the defense.
      sigpic

Comment

I think we can all agree that Mays isn't the future, whether we believe DT is more/less important than the other. I personally believe you start with the down linemen on defense and work your way through the rest of the front seven after. It all depends on whether we think Wolfe, Jackson, and Beale can be decent for us over the next few years.

I'd love to see us actually USE our first round pick on the best DT OR MLB available when our turn comes up. I wasn't a fan of all the trading down this year. I think we passed on some players that could have made an impact for us this year.

Comment

Donta Hightower is the guy the Pats took with the Broncos' #25, but he is about the only one that fits this category.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by swess93 View Post
            Just a year ago I remember nearly everyone on this board praising Joe Mays. I personally believe everyone here is over reacting. I will say that he is terrible in coverage, but in my opinion he is a very good run stopper. In 2011 he had the highest run stop percentage of any linebacker in the NFL (I will link the website I found this on at the bottom of this post). He needs some major improvement in stopping the pass, it is well known that he can't cover very well at all, but every play isn't a pass. I don't believe he should play any 3rd downs, especially 3rd and 4+. I personally believe we should have a defense where if it is a run he reacts and trys to stop it but if it is a pass he should be sent on a blitz based on what he reads. This may be difficult to add to a scheme but I think it would help us overall because having him in coverage does little to no good anyway.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-linebackers/
            if ur middle (Mike) is not a do it all linebacker in todays NFL then that ur first mistake right there i dont think the (thumper tag) is a good tag any more and also on the run stop on run downs and blitz on passing downs Brady will still Kill our D any week and we would end up with more roughing the passer penalties in the end

Comment

I figured if I keep saying it, and others keep saying it, maybe our execs will catch on to it (of course I'm kidding.......unless of course we are loud enough!).....

TIME FOR AN ELITE MLB!!!

If Irving isn't the guy, lets do it next year!!!

A stud MLB can cure several defensive woes.......

Comment

I think other LBs on the roster wiil be tried before the end of the season. Irving and Brooking have been recently concussed and the rookie, Steven Johnson, would need to show in meetings and in practice that he knows the D. Brooking played MLB when Mays was suspended. Trevathan stepped in for a couple of plays last week. We shall see.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Colts D in the playoffs was great and got hot at the right time.

Saints D was a bend, don't break kind of D.

Giants D was bad in the regular season but when Osi/Tuck got healthy, they went on the run and won the SB...

A MLB is VERY big for a 4-3, but without a good DL, it may not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    I think other LBs on the roster wiil be tried before the end of the season. Irving and Brooking have been recently concussed and the rookie, Steven Johnson, would need to show in meetings and in practice that he knows the D. Brooking played MLB when Mays was suspended. Trevathan stepped in for a couple of plays last week. We shall see.
                    Agreed, i thought i saw Trevathan out there too...

Hope he gets some more PT, as well as Irving or Johnson whenever they are ready.

Comment

• Mays was great when we expected nothing and we got a decent-good MLB. But he's just gotten worse, and worse, and worse. I'm sick of seeing him lost in coverage or not covering his zone.

Comment

Working...
                      X