Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or does Eric Decker play more like a slot wideout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or does Eric Decker play more like a slot wideout?

To me, Eric Decker does not seem to have the speed to separate vs the better CBs on the outside. He does however have a good IQ to understand zones and soft spots in zones to be an extremely productive slot wideout, IMO.

Unfortunately, the Broncos do not have many options for outside wideout, do they, other than DT who is a true outside wideout with speed?

Personally, if I were the Broncos, I would just add speed on the outside in the offseason and move Decker to the slot to prolong the efficiency of slot production, even after Stokely hangs up his boots.

It is not just you. That is his true position. He is an average number 2 receiver. He would be one of the best slot receivers in the league.
    Just don't lose baby

Comment

It would seem that way. I would've preferred him in the slot but he does have the tools to play outside. The problem is that he seems to have trouble beating the jam at times from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
        It would seem that way. I would've preferred him in the slot but he does have the tools to play outside. The problem is that he seems to have trouble beating the jam at times from what I've seen.
        It is harder to double team in the slot and easier to react since the completions do not go for high yardage. Besides, the safety would rather not give up the big play and would concentrate on the outside wideout leaving more LBs and nickel CBs to deal with Decker, which is an advantage for Decker. Decker is a tad slow for the prototypical Z type of wideout, IMO. He can do comeback routes well, and that is about it. He is used better on routes going across the field (again in the SLOT) than north south. Every single aspect of these scream slot to me. Plus, a guy his size should be able to beat jams but even if he beats jams, most outside CBs have the speed to recover and catch up with Decker.

As an outside wideout, his ceiling is limited. But as a slot wideout, his ceiling is very high, IMO. Just my two cents.

Comment

I do not see Decker moving to slot as long as Stokely is here. After getting rid of the rust, you can see Stokely and Manning have great timing together. If the Manning experiment lasts more than one season, (we can opt out before the 2013 season and it costs us nothing), then I have a feeling that as long as Stokely is effective he will be here also.
          sigpic

Comment

That is what I was saying all offseason. Fellow board members flamed me for wanting a WR early in the draft. I wanted Kendal Wright or Alshon Jeffery but was flamed for it. It is nice to see people actually agree now! All I heard before is our WR core is fine with DT and Deck on the outside. Not so much!

Give me Mike Wallace next offseason please...
            Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

i dont think so. he doesnt have the right quickness to play inside.

Comment

He has no ability to release, so rather than having him stand pat in the slot, they need him constantly shifting.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post

Give me Mike Wallace next offseason please...
                  I love Wallace but not at the insane price he's likely gonna cost.

I do agree we need another WR, but don't need to break the bank for one imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                    I love Wallace but not at the insane price he's likely gonna cost.

I do agree we need another WR, but don't need to break the bank for one imo.
                    IMO you dont get better unless you spend money.

You will learn in life "you get what you pay for".

Comment

What about Andre Caldwell? He has great speed and is being completely unused right now

Comment

IMO you dont get better unless you spend money.

You will learn in life "you get what you pay for".
                        I agree, and if we're gonna break the bank for someone, spend it on the defensive side of the ball. Peyton can make WR's look good like he has with Thomas among others.

We could use another WR, but we don't need to break the bank for one imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                          I agree, and if we're gonna break the bank for someone, spend it on the defensive side of the ball. Peyton can make WR's look good like he has with Thomas among others.

We could use another WR, but we don't need to break the bank for one imo.
                          Agreed, but who will be available on the defensive side worth that kind of money? What kind of money will Pot Roast command?

Comment

Agreed, but who will be available on the defensive side worth that kind of money? What kind of money will Pot Roast command?
                            Pot Roast would be ideal if we still have JDR as DC.

Or some kind of stud defensive player.

Comment

We're only five games in. Decker is a good #2.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Working...
                              X