Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or does Eric Decker play more like a slot wideout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii007
    replied
    Decker is probably best suited for the slot, but Manning has worked well with just average number 2s and good number 1s and good slots, so I don't think it will be that big a deal.

Leave a comment:

• orange kool aid
    replied
    To add to the argument, one of his best skills, is pulling in low passes (a pre-requisite to playing the slot) and one of his biggest weaknesses is snagging passes above his head ( a prerequisite to playing on the outside). Naturally, we expect a 6'3 receiver to be the opposite, but that is his skillset.

Leave a comment:

• MileHighInNY
    replied
    I think the OP is right; Decker would be an excellent slot guy but is often overmatched on the outside. He would be an amazing weapon if he could be used as our version of Wes Welker.

The problem is that there is a shortage of WR talent on this team, and there is no other option to take over at WR2. Stokley is still a good slot guy but never had the speed to play outside, and I don't trust Caldwell or Willis at all--so we have no other options because there is no depth at WR.

Hopefully this offseason we draft or get through FA a true outside speedster to play opposite Demaryius, so that Decker can move inside and take full advantage of his skillset. Or if an outside WR comes on the trade market this year, the Broncos need to jump. That would make this offense easily one of the scariest in the league.

Leave a comment:

• Trench777
    replied
    A bit off the subject, but Decker does this alllllll the time & I am just so tired of it....any incompletion for any reason & Decker puts on a production like he has just been publicly victemized. Hands tossed indignantly in the air, looking around for a ref to "lobby his case" to. Just because you didnt catch the ball doesnt mean there is interference/holding/illegal contact on EVERY freaking play.

Put your damn hands down & quit whining after every single play.

On a similar note...defenders who do thier little hands-off "what?!? I din do nuttin'" gesture are exponentially more likely to get a flag tossed at them. If you didnt do anything, why are you drawing attn to yourself? Do they walk out of the 7-11 yelling "I didnt shoplift ANYTHING!" over thier shoulder? Once again, put your damn hands down & quit whining.

New penalty for next season: 15 yards for Excessive Lobbying.

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    We're only five games in. Decker is a good #2.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    Agreed, but who will be available on the defensive side worth that kind of money? What kind of money will Pot Roast command?
    Pot Roast would be ideal if we still have JDR as DC.

Or some kind of stud defensive player.

Leave a comment:

• FlowdaBroncoFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    I agree, and if we're gonna break the bank for someone, spend it on the defensive side of the ball. Peyton can make WR's look good like he has with Thomas among others.

We could use another WR, but we don't need to break the bank for one imo.
    Agreed, but who will be available on the defensive side worth that kind of money? What kind of money will Pot Roast command?

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    IMO you dont get better unless you spend money.

You will learn in life "you get what you pay for".
    I agree, and if we're gonna break the bank for someone, spend it on the defensive side of the ball. Peyton can make WR's look good like he has with Thomas among others.

We could use another WR, but we don't need to break the bank for one imo.

Leave a comment:

• NYColt
    replied
    What about Andre Caldwell? He has great speed and is being completely unused right now

Leave a comment:

• FlowdaBroncoFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    I love Wallace but not at the insane price he's likely gonna cost.

I do agree we need another WR, but don't need to break the bank for one imo.
    IMO you dont get better unless you spend money.

You will learn in life "you get what you pay for".

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied

Give me Mike Wallace next offseason please...
    I love Wallace but not at the insane price he's likely gonna cost.

I do agree we need another WR, but don't need to break the bank for one imo.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    He has no ability to release, so rather than having him stand pat in the slot, they need him constantly shifting.

Leave a comment:

• Syvari
    replied
    i dont think so. he doesnt have the right quickness to play inside.

Leave a comment:

• FlowdaBroncoFan
    replied
    That is what I was saying all offseason. Fellow board members flamed me for wanting a WR early in the draft. I wanted Kendal Wright or Alshon Jeffery but was flamed for it. It is nice to see people actually agree now! All I heard before is our WR core is fine with DT and Deck on the outside. Not so much!

Give me Mike Wallace next offseason please...

Leave a comment:

• Luckyshot
    replied
    I do not see Decker moving to slot as long as Stokely is here. After getting rid of the rust, you can see Stokely and Manning have great timing together. If the Manning experiment lasts more than one season, (we can opt out before the 2013 season and it costs us nothing), then I have a feeling that as long as Stokely is effective he will be here also.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X