I dont think Elway did enough to stock up defensive talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont think Elway did enough to stock up defensive talent

I personally feel that after the loss of an emotional leader like Brian Dawkins at the safety position, and losing your best run defender in Broderick Bunkley (it is not like he is tearing it up with the 'aints ), I do not think the cupboard has been re-stocked well to deal with weaknesses of last year.

Safety play has taken a step back, and LB coverage has taken a step back as well. 3rd down D, starting with the Steelers game has been abysmal. Yes, Goodman was sent packing and Porter replaced him but I think that is a wash.

After Gronk and the Pats' TEs gashed the Broncos last year twice, I thought there would have been some upgrades done to the safety and coverage LB spots. But nothing was done.

Any mid-season changes Broncos fans expect to add to defensive personnel?

Oh he certainly did not. There are NO playmakers on D with the exception of Miller. NONE. The same urgency that caused Elway to go out and pursue Manning should also have been applied to shoring up the defense.
    XboxLive GamerTag: ShizzleDizzle05 (Accepts all friend requests from fellow Broncos fans)

Comment

Well you cant do it all in one offseason. If we went and got a big name D guy, we wouldn't have Manning. You cant have your cake and eat it to. Things take time.
      Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

I don't think it would've mattered yesterday if we had nothing but pro bowl caliber players on defense, hard to play defense when your stuck on the field all four quarters of the game with no substitutions.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
          Well you cant do it all in one offseason. If we went and got a big name D guy, we wouldn't have Manning. You cant have your cake and eat it to. Things take time.
          This. Also, Elway brought in Von Miller and kept Champ Bailey from leaving. There's only so much you can do with the mess McDaniels left behind.

Comment

I am sorry but the Porter for Goodman was a HUGE upgrade. Not so much in coverage but certainly Porter can at least tackle which was something Goodman was unwilling to do.

You also have to remember that they had big plans for Warren on the line and he was lost for the year in the first game. You put Bannan in for Warren and that is a huge drop off in talent and ability. You just cannot have a ton of talent at every position to just fill in.

Personally I think part of this has to do with the coaching staff getting use to our players as to what they can and cannot do. I think we are playing like we are afraid on defense and we are playing off the opponents. I think when we push we are much more effective. Why not start that way when you know it works.

We are right there and we are not really getting beat badly so it is just a tweak here and there that will get us where we need to be.

We have to have some patients so the team can gel and figure out our strengths and weaknesses.
            sigpic
            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Pants View Post
              This. Also, Elway brought in Von Miller and kept Champ Bailey from leaving. There's only so much you can do with the mess McDaniels left behind.

Von Miller fell into our laps. It would have been hard to screw that one up but let's not act like it was a genius move to draft him. Champ Bailey is no longer a playmaker. We have 4 turnovers in five games, something like the 5th fewest in the league. You can't do it all in one offseason but you can at least target one or two guys. Who did we target?
              XboxLive GamerTag: ShizzleDizzle05 (Accepts all friend requests from fellow Broncos fans)

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Pants View Post
                You mean the poor defense that McDaniels inherited from Shannahan? This defense has been horrible since second half of the 2006 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse Face View Post
                  You mean the poor defense that McDaniels inherited from Shannahan? This defense has been horrible since second half of the 2006 season.
                  LOL... How soon we forget.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
                    Von Miller fell into our laps. It would have been hard to screw that one up but let's not act like it was a genius move to draft him. Champ Bailey is no longer a playmaker. We have 4 turnovers in five games, something like the 5th fewest in the league. You can't do it all in one offseason but you can at least target one or two guys. Who did we target?
                    Right, totally a know brainer. It's like you forget that everyone under the sun had us picking a DT or that CB (Peterson?). No one thought about Von.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                      Right, totally a know brainer. It's like you forget that everyone under the sun had us picking a DT or that CB (Peterson?). No one thought about Von.
                      Yes, it was a no brainer. And it was the 2nd overall draft pick that fell into our laps. We did not trade up or go after him. he fell in our laps and only a totally inept front office screws that up. Now who have we actually GONE AFTER on D? Mike Adams? Keith Brooking? Tracy Porter? Are those consistent playmakers? No, those were serviceable pieces that MAY be able to start on half the teams of the league at best. WE HAVE NO PLAYMAKERS on D and the FO has done little to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
                        Yes, it was a no brainer. And it was the 2nd overall draft pick that fell into our laps. We did not trade up or go after him. he fell in our laps and only a totally inept front office screws that up. Now who have we actually GONE AFTER on D? Mike Adams? Keith Brooking? Tracy Porter? Are those consistent playmakers? No, those were serviceable pieces that MAY be able to start on half the teams of the league at best. WE HAVE NO PLAYMAKERS on D and the FO has done little to change that.
                        Play makers cost money! We persued Mario Williams (who is having a down year), but we went with Manning instead. You can only do so much with cap space. Calm down.

Our current players/coaches have to call the right plays and be aggressive. Our D is to conservative. We need to blitz and take gambles on the outside. Von almost had a pick yesterday. We dropped like 2 picks last week. We are almost there, we just need to put it together.

I just wish JDR and Fox would be more aggressive in the play calling!
                        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

So glad we drafted a QB to sit on the bench for 3-4 years instead of a LB in round 2.

A 2nd round pick is an expected starter on defense which there are holes everywhere. If you are going to run with Manning for the next 3-4 years, you get him players. Not a player to come in and sub for Hailmary's.

I'm not saying all our defensive problems would be solved with just that 1 player, but it might of helped yesterday.

Comment

Dawkins would help a ton right now. I'm actually really disappointed right now that we don't have somebody like him.

At least Rahim Moore showed some passion and fire yesterday, I think he'll be alright. If Dawkins was next to him he'd be even better.
                            Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Originally posted by Frankenpost View Post
                              So glad we drafted a QB to sit on the bench for 3-4 years instead of a LB in round 2.

A 2nd round pick is an expected starter on defense which there are holes everywhere. If you are going to run with Manning for the next 3-4 years, you get him players. Not a player to come in and sub for Hailmary's.

I'm not saying all our defensive problems would be solved with just that 1 player, but it might of helped yesterday.
                              It's very easy to be upset with that right now, but Brock could end up being well worth that pick. Just don't hold your breath on him proving it anytime soon.
                              Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Working...
                              X