I dont think Elway did enough to stock up defensive talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
    I feel like we've regressed from last year and I don't understand why. We play good D against average to bad teams but get rocked by good offensive teams.
    Insert any Tebow comment here. Weird~!

Comment

I am mainly saying we need quality guys in FA. We dont need a bunch of guys just to fill holes. Give me quality instead of quantity. Even one great FA is better than 5 mediocre FA.
      Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
        I am mainly saying we need quality guys in FA. We dont need a bunch of guys just to fill holes. Give me quality instead of quantity. Even one great FA is better than 5 mediocre FA.
        Peyton Manning was the quality FA signing this offseason. That left cap room for several other middle of the road FA signings.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
          Peyton Manning was the quality FA signing this offseason. That left cap room for several other middle of the road FA signings.
          Again, not talking about last year. Talking about going forward.
          Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

The future is inherently subjunctive which is why there is no future tense in the subjunctive mood.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Fwiw, Cassius Vaughn played a pretty good game against the Packers with Davis sitting, held Nelson to like 20 yards.

Yeh I'll never let that trade go.

Comment

you can end the thread with this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
                  Von Miller fell into our laps. It would have been hard to screw that one up but let's not act like it was a genius move to draft him. Champ Bailey is no longer a playmaker. We have 4 turnovers in five games, something like the 5th fewest in the league. You can't do it all in one offseason but you can at least target one or two guys. Who did we target?
                  Miller did not just fall in our laps.

There were several players the Broncos could have drafted there, and the majority of "experts" had us taking Marcel Dareus or Nick Fairly. Most of the rest had us taking Patrick Peterson. Only a few had us taking Miller.

There was also a ton of talk floating around that we were going after a QB too.

Drafting Miller was the result of a lot of work on the part of Elway, Fox, (and at the time) Xanders. And they went against conventional wisdom in taking him and not one of the DT's that were also available.

So lets not pretend it was some sort of no-brainer and that Von just fell in our lap.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kazmo View Post
                    I don't think we do. Our biggest need is MLB right now. Our defensive line could be a lot better but our MLB could possibly be the worst in the league. We need playmakers, not lots of alright draft picks. Our problem this year was we spent too much time looking for diamonds in the rough when there were diamonds sitting right in front of us.
                    I disagree, what this defense needs most is a big, disruptive dt. A guy that is a rock against the run, and can penetrate the backfield. Unfortunately, those guys aren't exactly a dime a dozen. But on every top notch defense, there is a player like that down in the middle of the trenches.

There is an old adage, that great defenses are built down the middle. We have good corners and edge rushers. But the rest of the D is average at best. Our interior DL is weak. Our MLB is a hitter, but is often out of place, takes bad angles, and is an outright liability in coverage. At S we are just average.

You cannot buy a good team via FA. Ask washington. You build a good team through the draft, and that takes time. Elway has only had 2 offseasons. If in another 2 or 3 years we still havent progressed, then we can revisit this and have a serious discussion about what needs to be done at the top. But so far in his tenure, I have been OK with the overall job Elway has done. He has turned the biggest laughingstock in the NFL around in less than 2 years.

The question now is, can he take a competitive team and turn it into a legitimate contender? That remains to e seen.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      The future is inherently subjunctive which is why there is no future tense in the subjunctive mood.
                      Deep though there Sam!
                      sigpic

Comment

The sky's not falling, we have a lot of football to play still, but our LBs and safety's are subpar, (minus Von Miller). The good teams in the league have LBs that either hit hard are good in coverage. Our LBs really don't do either.

Comment

Working...
                        X