David Lavonte or Brock Osweiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Lavonte or Brock Osweiler?

First of all, let me preface this by saying I hardly know much... so take this w/ a grain of salt. It's just stuff that's fun for debates.

But, last April during the draft, in the 2nd round when the Denver Broncos selected Elway's son's friend from ASU (Brock), the first thing thaty popped into my mind was: WE JUST PASSED ON DAVID LAVONTE!

I'm not saying Lavonte is the next LT, but I watched him a bunch down here in Texas... and this kid is atackling machine. For a defense devoid of much front-7 talent on defense, who has been awfull stopping the run (& w/ KC & OAK in our DIV), I felt this was a mistake. That notion was only reinforced when Lavonte was selected with the very next pick.

Lavonte had 14 tackles yesterday for Tampa. You think we could have used that in New England?

I'm not sure if we could have played him at MLB this year, especially while DJ was out. But I do know we just grabbed Von, and DJ's time in DEN is coming to a close soon... WOuldn't it behoove the Broncos to grab another productive, starting LB to add to the mix?

We know no matter what Brock is, or becomes, he'll contribute NOTHING for the next 3 years (if all goes as planned). So how does it help Champ & Manning to make this move?

And, before anyone tosses in the Rivers or Rodgers comparison... (1) With the way DEN goes about scouting & drafting, I would say the odds that this kid is a complete dud is really high. (2) Rivers & Rodgers were legitimate 1st round prospects.

Fact is we reached on Brock. I'm sure we could have grabbed him a few spots later when we grabbed Hillman. I'm also getting the feeiling that in 4 years... we will rue this decision, and would gladly trade both Brock & Hillman for Lavonte.

I understand it's nice getting Manning-insurance, and grabbing Peyton's replacement. Sure. Great. But I think odds are we just tossed that pick in the garbage, and the need for DEN was exposed yesterday... Especially on 3rd & 17... How much better would we be if Lavonte was playing instead of Woody or Mays? We'll never know, but the choice not to find out was foolish (IMHO).

You grab Brock if he falls into your lap. You don't reach for him. And you certainly don't leave a player of Lavonte's caliber on the board... B/c a wise organization will gobble him up. And it always is a bad sign when that guy is taken less than 30 seconds after you pass on him.

That's the only problem i have with the pick, we're in win-now mode...

As for David, yes, he would of been a great pick, and TB had a bye yesterday.

We needed an impact player right away, Brock will sit for the next 3-4 years, maybe longer since Manning looks like he has a lot of football left in him.

Comment

He had those tackled in a charity game I attended... No... seriously... thanks for the correction... Last week vs WAS he had 14 tackles. 33 on the year in 4 games.

Comment

I didnt understand the Brock pick at all and thought it was a stupid move when we had so many holes to fill

Comment

I concur. And for the supporters of the BO pick, they point to the dream that Brock will be the next Aaron Rodgers for DEN... When, most likely, we'll be fortunate if we get Brian Griese.

Comment

I wonder if Oz can play MLB?
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
              That's the only problem i have with the pick, we're in win-now mode...

As for David, yes, he would of been a great pick, and TB had a bye yesterday.

We needed an impact player right away, Brock will sit for the next 3-4 years, maybe longer since Manning looks like he has a lot of football left in him.
              Yeah, it doesn't make sense if you are thinking winning a SB this year or next. When Bunkley walked, I thought "oh oh", we are going to struggle stopping the run this year, I hope Champ is ready to tackle....

However, Elway is pretty clear about suring up that QB position. That may be his motivation is to have an Option #1 and Option #2 no matter what.

I don't know, watching the D get gashed and watching so many many missed tackles makes me lean "mistake" on this one.....
              A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

We took Brock ahead of Russell Wilson & Kirk Cousins. That's the kicker... if a QB who obviously had a 1-2 round grabe fell in our laps... fine, pull the trigger. But we reached for a project all b/c he's friend's with Elways son? 250 pesos that Wilson & COusins have better NFL careers.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                  We took Brock ahead of Russell Wilson & Kirk Cousins. That's the kicker... if a QB who obviously had a 1-2 round grabe fell in our laps... fine, pull the trigger. But we reached for a project all b/c he's friend's with Elways son? 250 pesos that Wilson & COusins have better NFL careers.
                  The question is, what did Elway like? His Arm? His Mobility? His intellect and football acumen?

I highly doubt nepotism had anyting to do with it.... right?
                  A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnConvert View Post
                    The question is, what did Elway like? His Arm? His Mobility? His intellect and football acumen?

Brock won't see the field until 3-4 years from now, only time will tell what he saw.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnConvert View Post

He's uh...really tall?

Seriously, he seems like a smart kid, but I can't for the life of me think about what else possibly makes this kid a second round pick, especially with how bad the defense is floundering.

sigh.
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Just because Elway drafted Brock Osweiler instead of Lavonte David it does not mean the Broncos must leave Joe Mays on the field. I think they are separate issues. The Broncos have Keith Brooking, Nate Irving, Steven Johnson... The game is too fast for Mays. He does not read plays well and he is not a consistent tackler (unless we're talking about missing tackles consistently). Johnson, the inactive LB, led the Big 12 in tackles last year. Irving was drafted in the 3rd round to eventually serve as the starting MLB. Brooking was signed to add veteran experience. There are other options. The coaches are simply deciding to stick with Joe Mays.
                        sigpic

Comment

NO, I joke & chide with the Elway jab. I'm sure he feels the inside intel he had insight into was what the impetus to make such a decision. I believe he knew firsthand this kid competes, works hard, is grounded... whatever... and that mental make-up (combined with the physical traits) made this pick worth making (in his opinion).

But, again... I believe we reached. NO other QB in history was successful being that tall... so what made Elway believe this kid is different?

Comment

I do agree 1 doesn't have much to do with the other... But the fact remains we employ a 4-3 base scheme & our starting MLB is Joe Mays. Yikes! Fox & JDR probably appreciate his intensity and ability to hit, but the truth is he has to look better to them than Irving & Johnson. I say Brooking here in DAL last season... He's done. Maybe Irving & Johnson make too many mental mistakes right now? I'm not sure. But we cannot go with Mays much longer. He plays with heart & is a solid back-up/ST player... But you don't build a 4-3 scheme around him... PLUS, we don't have the DTs & FS to hide his deficiences.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                              NO, I joke & chide with the Elway jab. I'm sure he feels the inside intel he had insight into was what the impetus to make such a decision. I believe he knew firsthand this kid competes, works hard, is grounded... whatever... and that mental make-up (combined with the physical traits) made this pick worth making (in his opinion).

But, again... I believe we reached. NO other QB in history was successful being that tall... so what made Elway believe this kid is different?
                              His scouting reports confirm the same, lots of upside for a later round pick.... I guess if were winning we wouldn't be debating draftpicks right now, huh?? LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X