No announcement yet.

David Lavonte or Brock Osweiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lack of instant impact from this draft goes beyond Brock Osweiler. The Broncos decided to skip the 1st round, where teams usually find the best players. The 4th round also was a key part of the draft. The stiff Omar Bolden apparently is not a good CB, since he did not stop any pass thrown his way during the entire preseason, so now he is filling as a returner. Honestly, I'd rather have Cassius Vaugh. Philip Blake was another 4th round pick, an old rookie that struggled and would just add depth at the OL if he were healthy. Going with "plan A", in "win-now mode" because of Peyton Manning, the Broncos are not getting much help from this rookie class. Derek Wolfe is making some plays. Ronnie Hillman is getting his carries but he's been just an adequate backup averaging 3 yards per carry.

I'm not saying other teams usually get instant impact from a bunch of rookies to solve all their issues on the depth chart, but I think this draft class is more than the Brock Osweiler project in the 2nd round. The entire draft strategy applied by the Broncos gave me an impression of passivity. Elway was not aggressive. Traded down twice in the 1st round, no 1st round pick, project QB in the 2nd round, rusty CB and OL depth in the 4th round... It did not look like the front office was worried about getting starters and instant impact for this season. If Elway had pulled the trigger in the 1st round and then traded up in the 2nd round to get the best players available, the draft would have looked more like a complement to the "plan A" and "win-now" mentality.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DoomTrooper View Post
      I was against that pick from day one. High-five!

Haha I've had some pretty intense arguments about it in the past several months and have felt very alone in them.

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
      The lack of instant impact from this draft goes beyond Brock Osweiler. The Broncos decided to skip the 1st round, where teams usually find the best players. The 4th round also was a key part of the draft. The stiff Omar Bolden apparently is not a good CB, since he did not stop any pass thrown his way during the entire preseason, so now he is filling as a returner. Honestly, I'd rather have Cassius Vaugh. Philip Blake was another 4th round pick, an old rookie that struggled and would just add depth at the OL if he were healthy. Going with "plan A", in "win-now mode" because of Peyton Manning, the Broncos are not getting much help from this rookie class. Derek Wolfe is making some plays. Ronnie Hillman is getting his carries but he's been just an adequate backup averaging 3 yards per carry.

I'm not saying other teams usually get instant impact from a bunch of rookies to solve all their issues on the depth chart, but I think this draft class is more than the Brock Osweiler project in the 2nd round. The entire draft strategy applied by the Broncos gave me an impression of passivity. Elway was not aggressive. Traded down twice in the 1st round, no 1st round pick, project QB in the 2nd round, rusty CB and OL depth in the 4th round... It did not look like the front office was worried about getting starters and instant impact for this season. If Elway had pulled the trigger in the 1st round and then traded up in the 2nd round to get the best players available, the draft would have looked more like a complement to the "plan A" and "win-now" mentality.
      Thank you! I've been saying similar things for some time now. Cassius Vaughn is starting for the Colts and playing well, and we got a FB that can't lead block. I felt that we were just coasting and taking what the draft gave us. We moved down so far and got embarrassingly little in return. I love Derek and have high hopes for Ronnie but I think it's fairly certain we could've had those guys and kept our 1st round pick. The rest of the draft was a wash imo till we picked up Trev, him and Johnson need to be getting reps at MLB.

Comment

Working...
      X