J.J Watt and Derek Wolfe comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.J Watt and Derek Wolfe comparisons

Watching JJ Watt destroy opposing offensive lines in his 2nd year makes me hope Derek Wolfe will have similar results in his second year. Their measurables at the combine are very close as well as their high energy motors. I know Derek has been pretty quiet as of late but I think great things could open up with more experience. Watt wasn't nearly as dominate last year as this, although he did have a significant number of solo tackles that would be tough to emulate. He may never be the beast that Watt is, but I think their are enough similarities to give us hope.

They are similar. They remind me of Peyton Hillis, or Wes Welker. Maybe a little bit of Toby Gerhart too.

Comment

At this point there is no comparison. JJ watt is a machine. We wish Wolfe was the same.
      sigpic

Comment

Jj watt was a beast his rookie year too. Similar body type, thats about it. wolfe is good and will be better, but i dont think he will ever measure up to Watt once both reach full potential.

Comment

That's a reach. JJ Watt is a man child in terms of athleticism. Two completely different players if you ask me.

Comment

I was comparing rookie seasons in hope of Derek doing something next year. This year? You're right, nothing to compare.

Comment

JJ had 5.5 sacks his rookie year. Wolfe is on pace for more than that. You guys aren't looking deep enough into this if you're shooting down the proposal. Wolfe has been good for us, he just needs more consistency, but hell, that's all JJ needed.

If JJ has the edge somewhere, it's explosiveness and wingspan.
              Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Wolfe is playing a position that gets more sacks than the position JJ Watt is playing. Getting sacks as a 3-4 DE is much harder than getting sacks playing 4-3 DE and kicking inside to the 3-technique on passing downs. Especially when the offensive linemen has to worry about Dumervil and Von Miller. Let's keep things in perspective. Wolfe can and should be a good player but the kind of player they are is very different.

If by measurables you just mean measurements and weight...well there are plenty of other DT's and 3-4 DEs with similar measurables. Those positions are kind of in a certain mold. As for athleticism, Watt was pretty much Mario Williams when he came out in terms of triangle numbers.

Comment

Derek Wolfe is a good player. 2 sacks after 5 games. J.J. Watt had 1 sack after 5 games last season, and he finished his rookie season with 5.5 sacks. Watt started to dominate during the playoffs and he's been eating OLs alive ever since. Watt is more athletic, and he does a great job deflecting passes, but Wolfe has all the necessary athleticism to be an effective DL and pass rusher in the NFL.
                  sigpic

Comment

Derek Wolfe
                    Height: 6047
                    Weight: 295
                    40 Yrd Dash: 5.01
                    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 33
                    Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
                    Broad Jump: 09'00"
                    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.44
                    3-Cone Drill: 7.26

JJ Watt
                    Height: 6053
                    Weight: 290
                    40 Yrd Dash: 4.81
                    20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
                    10 Yrd Dash: 1.64
                    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 34
                    Vertical Jump: 37
                    Broad Jump: 10'00"
                    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21
                    3-Cone Drill: 6.88
                    Last edited by Matymaddog; 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I firmly believe Wolfe will be as productive if not next year, then the year after. He just has that nasty demeanor and you can see he wants to be the best when on the field

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                        Wolfe is playing a position that gets more sacks than the position JJ Watt is playing. Getting sacks as a 3-4 DE is much harder than getting sacks playing 4-3 DE and kicking inside to the 3-technique on passing downs. Especially when the offensive linemen has to worry about Dumervil and Von Miller. Let's keep things in perspective. Wolfe can and should be a good player but the kind of player they are is very different.

If by measurables you just mean measurements and weight...well there are plenty of other DT's and 3-4 DEs with similar measurables. Those positions are kind of in a certain mold. As for athleticism, Watt was pretty much Mario Williams when he came out in terms of triangle numbers.
                        Not in Houston's scheme.
                        Denver Broncos GM
                        Originally posted by Mosk
                        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                          Not in Houston's scheme.
                          Prove it.

10char

Comment

Lol keep hoping. Wolfe will never be even close to what JJ Watt is. He's no where near athletic enough. JJ Watt is a athletic freak with a good motor. Wolfe just has a good motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                              Derek Wolfe
                              Height: 6047
                              Weight: 295
                              40 Yrd Dash: 5.01
                              225 Lb. Bench Reps: 33
                              Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
                              Broad Jump: 09'00"
                              20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.44
                              3-Cone Drill: 7.26

JJ Watt
                              Height: 6053
                              Weight: 290
                              40 Yrd Dash: 4.81
                              20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
                              10 Yrd Dash: 1.64
                              225 Lb. Bench Reps: 34
                              Vertical Jump: 37
                              Broad Jump: 10'00"
                              20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21
                              3-Cone Drill: 6.88
                              You should post Von Millers intagibles to, I like Derek Wolfe but Id rather see how Von Miller and JJ Watt match up.

Comment

Working...
                              X