3 fumbles in 3 games by DT, give me some history here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 fumbles in 3 games by DT, give me some history here

Has DT had a problem with fumbling the ball at Georgia Tech or with the Broncos or is this something he has recently acquired?

Give me some history here, Broncos fans. All these 3 fumbles were drive killers. Do it once, it is a freak occurrence but now, the first thing an opposing team would do when DT catches it is, try to make him fumble???

It seems like the Broncos have their own version of Ryan Mathews here. He makes plays, no doubt but having all those drive killers helps swing momentum in a game.

I think its just been a few mental errors on his part. He didn't protect the ball. I don't think it has anything to do with his ability to hang onto the ball.
    sigpic

Comment

Ball security. It's fixable.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

The one in NE was a great play by the DB, the one vs Oakland was pretty bad luck, he was trying to exchange it to his left hand to take it tot he house..

And i don't count the one vs Hou since it was pretty much over.

Comment

Hmm, he had 3 in his rookie year, none last year, 3 this year. That said, the first fumble this year doesn't really count (end of game play due to a misplaced lateral). The second one was just one of those weird "whut?!" plays. Not unlike Kyle Orton in the 2011 opener. The last one was a good play by the safety but shouldn't have happened. I know that in his rookie year, one fumble happened during a botched reverse, the other on a kickoff (I think against the Ravens). One thing I would look at is the fact that Thomas is getting a lot more ball with room to run this year - last year, most of his catches weren't in stride, hence fewer fumbles. Marshall had something like 4 fumbles in 2008 - most of the time it comes from trying to do too much. Sometimes players just need to know when to go down.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

The Houston one really doesnt count.

The Oakland one was a matter of trying to switch hands too late and rushing the process.

The New England one was a great play by the DB he punched it right our of his hands.

Comment

Its fixable, with DT he is so strong with that stiff arm that he is always thinking about keeping one arm free so he can shove a punk to the ground so he tends to focus on his free arm more then he does on the ball arm and the ball arm starts to float away from his body some, it needs to be high and tight, The DB for NE only had one chance, get the ball out or hitch a ride to the end zone on DTs back, good play by him
              "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nic.zeman24 View Post
                The Oakland one was a matter of trying to switch hands too late and rushing the process. The New England one was a great play by the DB he punched it right our of his hands.
                These are exactly those "explainable" mistakes in key plays, which can decide games against good teams, game outcomes in PO, even Superbowls. Sooner than later these plays should happen for the good of us, not impair us. Otherwise we might soon have to say bye-bye to our hopes.

At the moment, we are the #9 most productive offense in the league both in scoring and yards. All teams in the top10 have positive TO margins, most of them have massive +5, +7, +10, etc. Except us. Our number is -6. Imagine how our current 2:3 record could look like, if we had one of those +5, +7 numbers instead of that -6.

So, DT can still put together a geat season, it's not the end of the world yet. But the team as a whole - including DT - has to be more disciplined if we are serious about our playoff hopes.
                Last edited by peterk; 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                  Has DT had a problem with fumbling the ball at Georgia Tech or with the Broncos or is this something he has recently acquired?

Give me some history here, Broncos fans. All these 3 fumbles were drive killers. Do it once, it is a freak occurrence but now, the first thing an opposing team would do when DT catches it is, try to make him fumble???

It seems like the Broncos have their own version of Ryan Mathews here. He makes plays, no doubt but having all those drive killers helps swing momentum in a game.
                  He reminds me of a better Pierre Garcon. Makes some crazy plays but at times makes you want to pull your hair out.

Comment

Demaryius Thomas, receiving yards @ 513 is second in NFL...
                    BRONCO FAN FOR LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by The Sheriff18 View Post
                      He reminds me of a better Pierre Garcon. Makes some crazy plays but at times makes you want to pull your hair out.
                      Garcon had an issue of dropsies. I can deal with a drop than a fumble, at least you dont switch field position instantly. You at least have another chance unless it is a third down where you can still punt for field position.

Comment

I suggested during preseason the defense practice forcing fumbles.

Some vet posters did not like the idea for various reasons.

Not only does it help your defense cause turnovers it helps the offense hold onto the ball.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          I suggested during preseason the defense practice forcing fumbles.

Some vet posters did not like the idea for various reasons.

Not only does it help your defense cause turnovers it helps the offense hold onto the ball.
                          Osweiler should practice throwing bombs to him in pregame followed by two corners and a safety pulling at the ball. JK...not really

Point is once he screws up he seems good for the rest of the game.
                          [sigpic

Comment

Ball security. He can fix it. Just metal thing right now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Mistakes happen, and like many of the posters before said the first fumble really doesn't count, the second one was just a freak thing where he was trying to switch hands and it just popped out, and the third one was a great defensive play. Now with that said he needs to be more aware of the players around him in situations like the fumble against the Patriots game. I really don't think it will continue to be an issue though.

Also, have you guys noticed we hardly ever have random freak plays go in our favor? Or if we fumble we seem to never have a Broncos player around the ball to recover it? Hopefully the ball starts bouncing our way for the remainder of the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X