Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a player that was both MVP and comeback player of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those interested, I found the following article at "Cold Hard Football Facts", posted a couple of years ago, making a strong case for Anderson to get into the HOF. I really think he's deserving, particularly given the era he played in, the fact that he had to face the brutal Steelers' Steel Curtain defense twice a year, the fact that he came back from several serious injuries, that he's the ONLY player in NFL history to win "Comeback Player of the Year" and League MVP the same season, the fact that he helped pioneer the West Coast Offense, and that he put up SIGNIFICANTLY better career stats than other HOFers like Terry Bradshaw. He held numerous NFL records when he retired. The only thing missing from his resume was a SuperBowl Championship.

But this article makes the case better than I can:
    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...anderson/2416/

Comment

Chad Pennington was runner-up MMVP when he won comeback player of the year with the Dolphins. Our boy Peyton beat him, which I disagree with since Miami had a 10 win improvement

Comment

Great job Peyton ......Congrads to you on the recognition for all your hard work coming back..
        Go Broncos
        BRONCO FAN FOR LIFE

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to Manning and the Broncos.

Continue to be discipline, work hard and win.
          Team Broncos!
          2013 Adopt A Bronco Peyton Manning|#18|QB

Comment

Originally posted by Chaboyer View Post
            Chad Pennington was runner-up MMVP when he won comeback player of the year with the Dolphins. Our boy Peyton beat him, which I disagree with since Miami had a 10 win improvement
            Miami did well in 2008 and Pennington put up decent numbers, but Peyton put up 4,002 yards, 27 TDs, and 12 INTs in 2008, dwarfing Pennington's (also-impressive) 3,653 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INTs that same year. And Peyton missed training camp and preseason that year after undergoing bursa sac surgery.

The Dolphins did have an impressive turnaround, improving to 11-5 from their dismal 1-15 record in 2007, but you certainly can't give Pennington all the credit for that, as between 2007 and 2008 there were huge changes across the board in Miami, including a coaching overhaul (bringing in Parcells) and many new player additions. It was the first effective year of the Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams backfield combo, and those guys were arguably a bigger part of the offense than Pennington. It's not dispositive but it means something that with all the team's success, Pennington did not earn a Pro Bowl berth that year. Can you imagine the League MVP not even earning a spot on the Pro Bowl roster?

Indianapolis finished with a better record than Miami (12-4) and Manning had better stats than Pennington and earned the start for the AFC in the Pro Bowl. I think it's totally justified that Manning won the MVP that year.
            Last edited by MileHighInNY; 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X