Hillman = Spiller without experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    Hillman is still very young. Let him grow his "man muscles" and he'll be fine.
    I'm pretty sure the commentators said Hillman is the youngest player in the NFL (Just turned 21). If so, that's impressive, and just think how good he could be in a few years with more experience and when his body fills out a bit more.

I love his potential. He looks tentative at times, but again, it will come with time on the field.

Comment

Hillman looked good tonight but lets not forget that the Saints defense is the worst in league history.

I would like to ask a question, though. I came back from the bathroom and heard we lost a fumble... and my VERY FIRST THOUGHT was WILLIS, WHY!!!! That was before I even saw the play.

Can we do anything to work on his ball security??? Seriously, this is like a curse! Moreno had slippery fingers during his very successful rookie campaign.... then we move to another back and he also seems to have a bit of problems holding onto the ball.

Why???

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Sure, it was the Broncos' O against the Saints' D, but it was also the Broncos' D against the Saints' O. Tonight was a dominant team effort, ST included.
        Our most complete game this year....It has been a long time since we have been treated to a game like that. Thanks Elway!
        BRONCO FAN FOR LIFE

Comment

Very glad to see him have a great game, he can be absolutely explosive for us!
          Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

He had one good run in which he is lucky the ball went out of bounds while fumbling on his was to his one great run.

Tatum Bell and CJ Spiller were/are much bigger and wayyy faster than Hillman. There is no comparison. I think they are being generous by listing Hillman at 190lbs. Chris Harris our conerback is listed at 190 at the same height and looks much bigger than Hillman. Hillman looks like he is about 175-180 lbs.

Dude is mad small and im not sold and im not booking him as our everydown back once Mcgahee leaves. Hillman will never play a full season getting 20+ touches a game at that size. Rather ita both rushes or receptions.

I want us to take another back next year via Free agency or draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_23 View Post
              He had one good run in which he is lucky the ball went out of bounds while fumbling on his was to his one great run.

Tatum Bell and CJ Spiller were/are much bigger and wayyy faster than Hillman. There is no comparison. I think they are being generous by listing Hillman at 190lbs. Chris Harris our conerback is listed at 190 at the same height and looks much bigger than Hillman. Hillman looks like he is about 175-180 lbs.
              He weighed in at exactly 200lbs at the combine. I could see him being 190 now, but I would be shocked if he has lost 20-25 pounds since entering an NFL weight program.

EDIT:
              I agree that he will never be a workhorse, but he could be a great back to have in a time share role. My guess is that by the end of the season he and McGahee will be getting a similar amount of touches per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                He weighed in at exactly 200lbs at the combine. I could see him being 190 now, but I would be shocked if he has lost 20-25 pounds since entering an NFL weight program.

EDIT:
                I agree that he will never be a workhorse, but he could be a great back to have in a time share role. My guess is that by the end of the season he and McGahee will be getting a similar amount of touches per game.
                I understand everyone carries weight differently. He maybe 190 but looking at Chris Harris who is listed the same weight at the same height, he just doesnt look 190 anymore. He could have lost weight during the whole month his hammy was bothering him considering he probably could lift weights. His legs look like twiggs and his arms look like tooth picks lololol.

Comment

It is great to see Hillman show what so many thought he could do for this team when he was drafted. He has shown some great flashes early on in this season and has earned that number 2 running back spot. Hopefully he keeps getting better and better.

I think that some of his earlier carries this season he was playing a little tentative. But his confidence is growing and he will just let his talent show more and more in the coming weeks.

He is a guy you need to get into the open field and we have seen that in his limited action so far. Look at the catch he made against the Raiders early this season. He had room to move and made people miss to get a big gain.

In the Saints game he had two carries over 20 yards and that is something that Knowshon Moreno has done just 7 times in his whole NFL career. Hillman adds speed to the offense and if anyone can’t see that then that is just there inability to recognise the obvious. However I wouldn’t say he is as fast as CJ Spiller.

But one of his runs from the Saints game which shows what people have said is the run designed to the right and the cut back to the left side of the field. Yes it wasn’t a great gain but he turned a no gain play into a 3 yard gain by making people missing and changing the run to the other side. This is the sort of thing he brings to the team and something no other back on the roster can do.

He has also been good in pass protection when left in there. I think this is why he was held back at the start of the season. I don’t think he was trusted. However after Knowshon Moreno was bad in this area to start the season he got his shot and is showing he can do it. He is not as good as Mcgahee who is doing it great but he is playing well in this area.

Also his inside running has been surprising. I didn’t think he would be as willing to take on contact as he has. This was also seen in the pre season where he was taking on contact and looking like he has some strength as well.

Anyway it looks like another very good draft pick by this current front office. It is a great time to be a Broncos fan and the future looks so bright with this team. I think we can go on a real streak over the coming weeks. Its going to be fun.

Comment

I didn't even notice Hillman had 86 yards... Didn't seem like it. He seemed to bounce around to much, but off of 14 carries averaging 6.1 average. Not bad at all.

Comment

i said hillman look more like a jamaal charles..

Comment

IMO HIllman is way faster than Tatum Bell. Not sure about Spiller, but Charles is definitely bigger than Hillman. It was nice to see someone actually get to the outside on a sweep play finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii007 View Post
                          IMO HIllman is way faster than Tatum Bell. Not sure about Spiller, but Charles is definitely bigger than Hillman. It was nice to see someone actually get to the outside on a sweep play finally.
                          lmbo.. you need to stop it. No the hell he isnt. Tatum was faster looking on the field in pads, and Tatum was faster on the clock (4.3 forty) Tatum was a poor mans Clinton Portis. Much like Clinton, everytime Tatum Bell touched the rock he was good for at least 5 yards. He had the potential for big runs on every play.

I remember watching Portis though. It seemed like everytime Portis took the handoff I had to hold on to my seat. The man always looked as if he was shot out of a cannon, that is until he went to Washington and Joe Gibbs made up put on 25 lbs and he lost all his speed.

Comment

BTW, my bad John, he had two good runs lol. thanks for the CP though.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_23 View Post
                              lmbo.. you need to stop it. No the hell he isnt. Tatum was faster looking on the field in pads, and Tatum was faster on the clock (4.3 forty) Tatum was a poor mans Clinton Portis. Much like Clinton, everytime Tatum Bell touched the rock he was good for at least 5 yards. He had the potential for big runs on every play.

I remember watching Portis though. It seemed like everytime Portis took the handoff I had to hold on to my seat. The man always looked as if he was shot out of a cannon, that is until he went to Washington and Joe Gibbs made up put on 25 lbs and he lost all his speed.
                              I don't know where you got the 4.3 number...and but I guess .03 seconds is faster, so I was wrong in that regard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/36411.html

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine...012/sort/speed

However, I guess Bell is a prime example of how speed is not the most important attribute for a NFL caliber RB, and I hope Hillman ends up having a more productive career in the long run for the Broncos. It is amazing to think about the carousel of RBs on the Broncos after TD who were initially productive, but after being cut loose, mostly ended up being below-average. I wonder how things would have been if Shanahan just stuck to one RB and drafted for other positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rarelyoffended View Post
                                Spiller could be the best all around back in the NFL if he didn't have to split carries with fred jackson
                                Im not sure best, but absolutely in the discussion for top 5 or so.

As for the thread topic. I like you enthousiasm but our boy is not anywhere near spiller status yet. Spiller is bigger, stronger and faster. And proven.

Ronnie did have a great game though, it was nice to see him get some good reps and get moving, then just coming in for a few plays or 3rd downs. Sure, it was against the saints bad defense, but so what. He still produced and that is exactly what we want to see. Spiller, no not even close, not by a long shot, but he is getting closer to being a great player for us each week. His running style actually reminds me more of reggie bush his first year or two in houston. Still a bit unsure and tentative. The saints were the perfect team to let him get a bunch of reps.
                                So far:
                                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Working...
                                X