Broncos exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dfrivers
    Its really going to hurt to say this, but I dont think Jake Plummer is the answer like I thought he was and heres the reason:

#1 The base of the Bronco offense is utilizing the skills of Plummer (mainly being a better "out of pocket passer" who does his best on the run). Hence the constant "rollout" plays. This does not work anymore (and Im suprised it has worked well this long) due to the fact defenses are assigning a linebacker to "track" Plummer for this play which dumbfounds him to make a desperate play to keep from being sacked.

#2 He is not a consistant quarterback. He'll look good one week, then bomb the next. Too many "boneheaded" plays.

#3 If the oposing defense restricts Plummer to pass inside the pocket, the passing game is stripped and so the defense can focus on the run, which puts us in a deeper whole.

I like Plummer as a quarterback, but if he cannot learn to pass effectively in the pocket, he will not be the answer we are looking for.
    The cold has froze your brain!
    I know Plummer needs to work better but he needs good plays called .He does not call his own plays,he may have changed that sorry option pass last week but Shanny calls the plays.
    It is hard to be consistant when your getting fed bum plays.
    If you have been a fan for a while remember the days of Elway!
    Talk about inconsistance,reeves would have Elway tied in a knot.The would blow out seattle and then lose to the bengals or they would have a limited score game and recover the whole game in the last seven minutes of the 4 qt.
    I think jake has a good arm and his confidence has grown, he will get better given the chance.It aint his fault when the recievers drop the ball or it gets tipped cause the defense is on top of thier game.It is like lombardi used to say if the reciever can touch the ball it should be caught.
    If you ain't a Bronco you don't know FOOTBALL

You can win one and think you are a winner and then you can be a Raider or a KC fan and still be a loser when you win!

Comment

Originally posted by BoltsOwnU
      Your posts are spot on as far as our game plan went. Our D focused not so much on sacking Plummer as it did on keeping him contained in the pocket. Our sacks came when our front 3 got amazingly strong push up front and in the middle to collapse the pocket and make containment nearly irelevant. Jake is better on rollouts because the open window to his receivers is increased as they make route changes in conjunction with the roll out. Stripped of that, JP is less accurate.

Still, JP almost got it on Sunday from us, but almost surely will at some point get a crushing hit because he runs around in places QB's simplay cannot safely go, even within the tackles or slightly ahead of the leading pass rush. Some LB, CB or safety is really gonna lay some wood to him, its only a matter of time.
      Jake can take your best shot and get up for another Play!
      But your point is a good point.
      If you ain't a Bronco you don't know FOOTBALL

You can win one and think you are a winner and then you can be a Raider or a KC fan and still be a loser when you win!

Comment

Originally posted by #7fan4ever
        The cold has froze your brain!
        I know Plummer needs to work better but he needs good plays called .He does not call his own plays,he may have changed that sorry option pass last week but Shanny calls the plays.
        It is hard to be consistant when your getting fed bum plays.
        If you have been a fan for a while remember the days of Elway!
        Talk about inconsistance,reeves would have Elway tied in a knot.The would blow out seattle and then lose to the bengals or they would have a limited score game and recover the whole game in the last seven minutes of the 4 qt.
        I think jake has a good arm and his confidence has grown, he will get better given the chance.It aint his fault when the recievers drop the ball or it gets tipped cause the defense is on top of thier game.It is like lombardi used to say if the reciever can touch the ball it should be caught.
        Before you make a dumb comment why dont you try reading the post. I said Plummer is not an effective pocket passer, he's better on the move, dont get me wrong I like Plummer and i want him as Denver's qb but if he was just as effective in his pocket passing as the run and pass he would be a damn good qb and would not get stuck in these situations to where the offense stalls when he gets contained in the pocket. Like I said, re-read the post and try to say something intellegent.

Comment

Originally posted by ihateshanny
          Just because I feel like being a real ******* tonight I'll indulge your little theories.

Your telling me it takes 3 seconds for a guy who runs a 4.4 (or less)/40 to get 5 yards in the backfield? Plummer would have a guy in his face before he finished his drop.

Gun is not an option because the play I am referring to was not being run out of the gun, the Qb was under center. But if that were the case, no you would likely not want to run that blitz or even bring the corner inside.

WR screen would not be effective same as Te arrow, the pass would be a short lob and Plummer would still be decked immediatly and the safety is right on top of that to swallow it up for a 1 yd gain at best, if your lucky he breaks the tackle and gets 5 yards before linebackers converge on him. The Te would be a better option if a LB does not pick it off, but still for minimal gain and he would be in position to get his head knocked off by the safety.

You fail to realize the reasoning behind this is to prevent the TE for getting deep and beating the weaker coverage personel.

QB draw, you forget there are defensive linemen and a middle backer? They are going to do their jobs as usual and if the Qb breaks out it is a great play, otherwise you make him a legal running target who will likely get taken down before he has a chance to get his third step down. QB draw from under center usually only works in high school when you have a really great fast QB playing against slow average high school fronts.

If you want that to work the linebackers had better be backed way off before the snap waiting for a deep pass or else you wont have a gap for the QB to choose. But it would have nothing to do with the corner blitz, except avoiding the blitz altogether because the corner would see the QB go foward and he would run to his pursuit responsibility instead of the blitz.

If you have a timid corner he MIGHT think twice after that before hauling ass straight to the QB next time, but that still would not give Plummer much more time, not enough to get the pass off that he wants to get.

What is your problem? Are you trying to prove your smarter than other people? Does it make you feel better as a person? People are entitled to their opinions. So maybe you should try talking like a normal person, I think honestly you confuse yourself trying to sound too smart for your own good. Sounds like "YOU" need to rely on something other than the Playstation. Oh, I forgot.
          *****ATTENTION PEOPLE*********
          "ihateshanny" IS SMARTER THAN ANY OF US HERE, HE KNOWS ALL ABOUT HOW THE PLAYS ARE DRAWN OUT AND RAN. DONT YOU DARE PUT SOMETHING KNOWLEDGABLE ON A POST. THE REST OF US DONT KNOW SH**. ihateshanny KNOWS ALL.

DID THAT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER?

Comment

How many years of coaching experience do you have? Thats what I thought.

Sorry if I am too smart for you, but the fact is if you have no coaching experience you don't understand half of what is going on out there and I get sick of reading everybody acting like they are the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

And FYI, nobody that I responded too in this post has said anything very KNOWLEDGABLE at all.

Did I say I was a coach? Did I say I was the second comming of Vince Lombardi? Pardon me but werent YOU the one to come out thinking he is the second comming? Get your head out of your a** as start reading before comment. This thread was started as my opinion and I stated why my opinion was the way it was so if you dont like it, get the f*** out. If these posts arent "knowedgable" enough for you than I guess you dont have to post to them right?
            Thats what I thought.

Comment

Do your parents know your not in school today?
              That post was sooooo darn intellegent, I just dont know how to respond.

Comment

Just because I feel like being a real ******* tonight I'll indulge your little theories.

Your telling me it takes 3 seconds for a guy who runs a 4.4 (or less)/40 to get 5 yards in the backfield? Plummer would have a guy in his face before he finished his drop.
                Yes, it takes about 3 seconds for a blitzer to get back there from the slot. Give or take, but it's usually enough time to throw the ball to an outlet, though not enough time for a receiver to make a cut. I thought you were talking about shotgun, which opens up tons of options offensively, even without a blocker.

Also think of it this way, if corner blitzes were so tough to beat from the slot, wouldn't you ALWAYS corner blitz on passing downs against the spread or bunch formation, and any open formation where there is a WR in the slot? And wouldn't this end up in a sack like 95% of the time? Besides, it's not that hard to read a CB blitz and change your play or find a suitable outlet. Like I said, if you know something the rest of the NFL doesn't, maybe you should get a job with them.

QB draw, you forget there are defensive linemen and a middle backer? They are going to do their jobs as usual and if the Qb breaks out it is a great play, otherwise you make him a legal running target who will likely get taken down before he has a chance to get his third step down. QB draw from under center usually only works in high school when you have a really great fast QB playing against slow average high school fronts.
                I thought you were talking open formation. In that case, the MLB has to respect the RB motion, leaving the middle of the field wide open for a draw. And if you're not, why can't one of the RBs pick up the corner?

Anyways, my point is, if you're gonna bring the SS down into loose coverage and blitz a CB, now you're opening up a whole new can of worms because that's one less guy covering plays on that side of the field. I'd definitely call a screen to the WR because bumping the TE effectively takes the LB out of the play, and screens the SS opening up at least a 5 yard play, and maybe a lot more, if everybody executes the way they are supposed to.
                "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

All of your points are valid if your simply running this at any given time. But it is going at a very specific situation where the blitzer is not accounted for in the protection scheme. Also the MLB does not have to respect anything because the playaction could not go to his gap, the MLB could get caught up being overly aggressive but if he does his job he will meet the QB running the draw right in his gap.
                  This may be besides the point, but I was talking about sending the RB in motion to the LOS. The MLB has to vacate the middle, leaving the draw open. With the blitz coming off the corner, this could easily open up a 10+ yard run for a guy like Plummer.

Take this into consideration as well, if this is run from play-action the corner will be the first to see it and could take the Qb down in the backfield before he sees it coming, the play action gives the CB more time to adjust his rushing path. And that WR screen your so intent on running, what is it you do not understand about it being covered at the los?
                  I totally agree. A PA fake wouldn't work against a blitz off the slot. As for the screen, since the SS usually covers soft on a blitz like this to disguise the coverage, there's more than likely no coverage at the LOS. If he's covering tight, you might as well blitz from the WOLB position and put the safety on the TE, who's better equipped to cover way out there. You have to admit, it creates some really funky mismatches and can set you up big time if you overcommit to the blitz.

And I even showed you the math and you still believe it takes 3 seconds for a corner to get 5 yards deep?
                  It depends on how far out from center the slot lines up, but you have to account for the snap count, and any adjustments the CB has to make on the fly. It's enough time to get the ball out, which is all that matters. It's not as simple as just spitting out 4.4 like he's running drills at the combine.
                  "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

hey

WOW! You guys get the kudos from me!

Your in depth analysis, discussion and arguments back and forth are way over my head. I doubt I have the ability to engage you guys.

Yet, I wanna say this. Would it not be better to show unconservative playcalling early in the game, in order to shake up the opposing D? MAKE them assign a spy on Jake, thereby freeing up an offensive weapon downfield? Put some doubt in their minds about what might be coming? Jake hands off to Rube, drifts downfield, Rube throws back across to Jake for the first down. The D now has to worry a bit. A few designed QB sneaks either off tackle or rollout or whatever.

And I notice a lack of the screen pass. Is it me, or is that area neglected?

I remember TD running wide on a sweep and John would toss him the ball. I do not see that play often with this squad. Or am I wrong?

Basicly, I am being consistant here as a fan on this board. I want to see creativity and innovation early in the game, to loosen up the D. Even a failed "wild" play, makes 'em think twice later.

Shanny seems so predictable the last couple of seasons. If my Grandma can call the play in advance, so can the opponents. It seems as if Mike only wants success in an old school way or not at all. "If my team can't win straight up, I don't wanna change".

The AFC is tough as nails. Broncs need some magic to pull this season out. Is a bit of trickery out of the question? If the squad is solid, but not quite there, how about some razzle dazzle?

What games are we saving the "great" plays for, if not these? We certainly saw them not last week!

So, what do you think? Am I just talking crazy? Can any of this stuff be used? Should it be? Should it have been?
                    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Working...
                    X