Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to change your mind about Manning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would it take to change your mind about Manning?

I know that you are still out there, you that thought it was a bad decision to bring Peyton on board and make him a Bronco. So what will it take for you to change your mind? Let me try to shoot down a few of the ideas I've heard already. You that think that unless you win the Superbowl the season is a total loss? Come on! If that's true then we are all suckers for being football fans in the first place, because the odds of any one team winning it all are terrible, no matter who is on your team. Somebody won't give the Broncos any love until we beat a "good" team. Somehow, defining "good" seems to be pretty flexible. If we beat them then they must not really be good. Tough to convince you for sure.
    Here are my thoughts and you are free to chime in and agree or disagree. After an 8-8 season, anything better than that against what is deemed by everyone to be a tougher season should be a good thing. Finishing with a higher ranked offense should be a good thing. Finishing with a higher ranked defense should be a good thing. Beating not-so-good teams by a big margin rather than barely beating them with a miracle finish should be a good thing. Really enjoying the vast majority of your Sundays for the season should be more fun than only enjoying half of your weekends.
    As for the playoffs, no one can predict what will happen on a single playoff game. That football bounces funny ways sometimes and the best team doesn't always win. But I'm expecting to enjoy Broncos football this year with the expectation that we are capable of winning any game, and don't need luck or divine intervention to do it. If you've already been converted from a doubter to a believer, you're welcome to respond too.
    And those of you who have become used to paying quarterbacks on the cheap and still think Manning's salary is outrageous, look around! The best teams generally have the best quarterbacks and they get paid big bucks to produce. If you still think of Peyton as a money grubber that is only out for himself, remember, it was Peyton who suggested that the Broncos put in a clause where they could void his contract if they weren't satisfied with his health at the end of the season.

Meh, Peyton was brought in to do one thing and that's to win championships.

Why else bring in a high calibar player like that?

This wasn't an experiment to see if he was ready to go, the FO believed he was ready to go.

There in lies the arguement with those that still don't believe. For this to workout the trade off between the two qbs is to better the mini playoff run of last year which is one win away from the AFC championships of last year.

All I'm seeing above are built in excuses for failure if it happens. Right now just enjoy the ride and the assesments can't happen until the season is over and then we can decide if this was worth it.

Is Bronco football all or nothing? Maybe, this is though the thoughts from the FO in where a successful season is a championship season.

These aren't just for show.

Last edited by elecshoc; 11-01-2012, 06:07 PM.

sigpic

Comment

i dont want to read that wall o text but GO VOLS ..... even though we suck
      sigpic
      -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
        i dont want to read that wall o text but GO VOLS ..... even though we suck
        Unfortunately, I can't argue with that. On the other hand, wish you'd wade through my long winded post, because you usually have good comments worth reading, and I'd appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Michael Irvin just predicted us to go into the playoffs with the number 1 seed in the AFC. I'm pretty sure that would erase any doubters, if there are any left.

Comment

Originally posted by elecshoc View Post
            Meh, Peyton was brought in to do one thing and that's to win championships.

Why else bring in a high calibar player like that?

This wasn't an experiment to see if he was ready to go, the FO believed he was ready to go.

There in lies the arguement with those that still don't believe. For this to workout the trade off between the two qbs is to better the mini playoff run of last year which is one win away from the AFC championships of last year.

All I'm seeing above are built in excuses for failure if it happens. Right now just enjoy the ride and the assesments can't happen until the season is over and then we can decide if this was worth it.

Is Bronco football all or nothing? Maybe, this is though the thoughts from the FO in where a successful season is a championship season.

These aren't just for show.

I appreciate your honesty and you are exactly right; the purpose of playing is to win and the idea is to win it all. That should be the goal EVERY year! Those rings are cool and the hope of every football fan for their team. But these days you pretty much have to have an elite quarterback just to have a CHANCE to win it all. Not to win it all. Just to have that CHANCE. That just puts you in the running and demonstrates that you are serious about TRYING to win.

Should the Saints have not given Brees that new contract, since, after all, they certainly aren't going to the Superbowl this year? Should the Patriots dump Brady and consider the season a total loss if they don't win the Superbowl?

I can't understand the all or nothing mentality. It may be OK for the players, but it sure makes life a miserable existence for fans if they can't enjoy what happens over the course of the season unless they win the whole thing. It almost guarantees an unhappy life. I'll take a winning season each year and a shot at the playoffs where anything can happen if I have my choice. I think you'll get that with Manning. No divine intervention or luck required.

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeVol View Post
              If you've already been converted from a doubter to a believer, you're welcome to respond too.
              Peyton doubters in Denver?... http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Ma...s_NRFPT_05.jpg
              Last edited by Mr Breeze; 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

A Super Bowl win.

Which I think is easily obtainable with the way we are playing. And not just this season, but any of his final 5 seasons.

Otherwise I think we should have stuck with Tim.
                Denver Broncos GM
                Originally posted by Mosk
                Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Any Bronco fan that has a major problem with us releasing Tebow,while getting one of the best quarterback to ever play the game,shouldnt be calling themselves Bronco fans...

Last year,we barely score 15 points a game and now we're in the top 5 in scoring offense.....I dont understand why any Bronco fan have a problem with the move.....Its not like Tebow was going to be here anyways because Elway had no confidence in his abilities..

It just amazes me how people are still upset about the move,when everybody is picking us to win the division....

The sad part about it is,that we're not even at full strength yet on the offensive side of the ball....
                  I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Peyton was brought in to jumpstart the team. Elway's plan was a 3 year rebuild to be in contention. Elway did not believe Tebow could be the QB that could lead the Broncos to the championship, and therefor was going to look for Tebows replacement and he knew that no ordinary QB would do. Tebow was a media & fan favorite, so Elway had to tread lightly. Then something happened that Elway never counted on! A franchise QB, one that some will consider the greatest QB to ever play was released from a team he had built over the last 13 years. Elway saw an opportunity to not only replace Tebow but provide the energy that the team needed to move forward and instill the championship attitude needed to be successful. Even if we never got Peyton, Tebow was not going to be a Bronco for long, he might have still been here this year but unless he could do a complete turn around and operate out of the pocket his days were numbered.

With Tebow we would be just an average team fighting to win the division. With Manning we are a contender with a legitimate chance to win the Superbowl. Elway knows firsthand what it takes to win it all!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeVol View Post
                      I appreciate your honesty and you are exactly right; the purpose of playing is to win and the idea is to win it all. That should be the goal EVERY year! Those rings are cool and the hope of every football fan for their team. But these days you pretty much have to have an elite quarterback just to have a CHANCE to win it all. Not to win it all. Just to have that CHANCE. That just puts you in the running and demonstrates that you are serious about TRYING to win.

Should the Saints have not given Brees that new contract, since, after all, they certainly aren't going to the Superbowl this year? Should the Patriots dump Brady and consider the season a total loss if they don't win the Superbowl?

I can't understand the all or nothing mentality. It may be OK for the players, but it sure makes life a miserable existence for fans if they can't enjoy what happens over the course of the season unless they win the whole thing. It almost guarantees an unhappy life. I'll take a winning season each year and a shot at the playoffs where anything can happen if I have my choice. I think you'll get that with Manning. No divine intervention or luck required.
                      Here in lies the truth to everything you've stated before and with what I totally agree with you as well. This season is far from over and from whats transpired, it's been a great ride even with the losses.

Now with the part where you're asking for a change of hearts in fans, which I do believe will happen, may not happen until the end of the season. Until then there's no way to judge the success or lack there of until then just because nobody knows the future.

With the third part is the expectations of this season, with that it's not about whether PM was healthy or not. The real question was if the team would be better with PM rather and Tim at QB, rest assured there are very few who would try to argue that point now.

Now from what I've gathered in your post you seem to think that with everything that we've seen this season there are some Bronco fans who still long for the days of old, will I don't believe there are many of those around. Maybe a couple of games ago, but now after last sunday with the schedule as it is, be assured that it's full steam ahead with this Broncos team and the fans.

I truly believe everyone's all in and are enjoying the ride so far, that's just from what I saw from my seat in mile high.

So now I say why don't you just relax until Sunday and enjoy Broncos football as we know it here in Broncos Country, because we're witnessing the train leaving the station and if you're still worried about what someone maybe were thinking two weeks ago you may just miss the fun

sigpic

Comment

Acquiring Peyton Manning when he became a Free Agent was brilliant both in concept and in execution. The basis of a good offense was there which may be one of PM's reasons for signing with the Broncos.

Trading Tebow was inevitable. The Broncos now have Philip Blake and Danny Trevathan instead. Brock Osweiler was drafted to develop while Manning plays as long as he can.

Elway acquired Brandon Stokley, Jacob Tamme, Joel Dreesen, Dan Koppen, Ronnie Hillman, Andre Caldwell, Chris Gronkowski and Caleb Hanie to augment the offense.

With the departure of Dennis Allen to the Raiders, Jack Del Rio was brought in to run the D. Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Justin Bannan, Keith Brooking, Steven Johnson, Danny Trevathan, Tracy Porter, Tony Carter, Omar Bolden, Mike Adams, Jim Leonhard and Duke Ihenacho were brought in to augment the defense.

With a new offense and defense, I thought the Broncos would be work in progress likely to improve as the season went on. Since Peyton's doctors had given him a bill of good health and cleared him to play, I wasn't worried about that part. It's what's between his ears that interests me; the ability to read a defense pre-snap and call the O from LOS no-huddle.

Before the season, I thought 10-6 and division champ was a reasonable expectation. Once in the playoffs, it's all a matter of how well a team is playing in January. Winning the division at least insures one home game at Mile High Stadium.

As far as Manning's contract is concerned, it seems appropriate by NFL standards. I think the Colts released him when they did because they were due to pay him a $40 million bonus. Some have speculated that Peyton won't play out the duration of his contract, but after seeing how mobile and well conditioned he is I'm inclined to think he can play for years.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

umm nothing?
                          the only question was whether he could return to form following his time off
                          It seems he has

We brought him in to add an elite qb to the team, he has been that
                          Regardless of how successful this team is the point remains is we now have one of the best ever starting for us
                          It was a great move to bring him in

Comment

For me, I just don't like Manning. I've come to that conclusion and moved on from it to cheer the team on. I don't know why. He's a great QB, one of the best ever. I feel like Polian and Irsay should be ashamed for not always making sure he had the best balanced offense, defense, and special teams. He should have a minimum of 2 SB's. But I'm just not warming up to him in Orange. I understand the feelings of the old man that would have rather died than see Manning in Orange. And I know it sounds crazy, but that's just it for me.

I believe we'll play for the Championship in February. I just don't think anyone can stop us. Offensively he's got us at an unprecedented level and guys on defense are starting to play at the level he needs them to play. I'm enjoying all that. But him in orange is like Atwater in green. .......... As a Two dollar bill.

So my reasons are personal and not tied to any stats, money, "other QB's, age, or expectations. But I'm honest about that.
                            #swapping

Comment

Peyton is playing like he did in "06" maybe a little more mobile. The question we have to ask is why has he become more mobile? Could it be that our OL is not quite what he had in "06"? Whatever the reason, Manning is making it look easy. All we see is the end result on the field, what we don't see is the amount of work he has to go through to have that kind of success. In John Elway's final year, he looked as sharp as ever and played as well as ever. When John gave his retirement speech, he had disclosed how much work he had to do and how hard it was becoming to keep doing it. It was also obvious that he (in his heart) wanted to keep playing as he had tears in his eyes during the speech.

While Peyton may look like he found the "Fountain of Youth", we don't know what he has to endure on a daily basis to look like that on Sundays. Fans can see what he does at practice, but they can not know what is happening in his body during the drills. I can tell you that as the body ages, every step becomes a little more work. Have you ever noticed that kids always seem to have a surplus of energy, while we as adults are forced to sit and watch? We just learn as adults to be more efficient with the limited energy we have. Peyton may look like a young man out there, but you can rest assure that his body does not feel like a young man.

I am a man of almost 51, and as I look back; the first 30 years seemed like a long journey, but the last 21 seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. It seems like only a couple years ago that I was sitting on the floor playing with my son, now my son helps me on some jobs. It is now a chore for me to even get to the floor anymore. Peyton is at that age when everything takes more effort than it did only a few years ago.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X