Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With McGahee's struggles, does Moreno get another shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With McGahee's struggles, does Moreno get another shot?

I don't know if this is already a thread yet, I tried searching but my phone is being difficult at the moment.

Does Moreno get one final shot due to McGahee's recent struggles? We all see how #18 can elevate the play of everyone around him, I would love to see Moreno get one more shot in the Orange and Blue, what do you guys think?

Trindon Holliday will get a shot before Moreno does.

Comment

No. Moreno is strictly an insurance policy in case McGahee, Ball or Hillman get injured and have to miss time. Period. Done. End of discussion.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

McGahee had like 89 all purpose yards yesterday against a team that was going after the run game pretty hard, Manning will take what the defense gives him, if they are stopping the run then he will use his backs out of the backfield , the only area id like to see improvement on with Willis is his ball security and thats the same problem that Moreno has.

So it really comes down to a Productive back that fumbles vs a Non-Productive back that fumbles
        Stick with Willis/Hillman Combo and work on ball security.
        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

The Broncos have developed some depth at several positions. Hillman is seeing playing time because McGahee needs to be spelled. It is good that Moreno is available. Depth is good on any football team, but in the NFL it is golden due to the length of the season.

PS Sorry for the additional discussion, GL47.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

But I mean as far as the ball security thing goes, I mean what would be causing this, and I mean its not a minor problem, this has been a regular thing. I understand if he was a young back still getting used to things, but I mean with where Willis is in his career I for one feel this is unacceptable. Right now, not a biggie, like you guys have said he has been effective and we are getting W's, but come play off time all it takes is one of these mistakes to send us home. Why do you think this is becoming a problem now?

Comment

I would say, let it ride for the remainder of the season and draft McGahee's replacement this coming offseason. A Mike Gillislee comes to mind as a good replacement!
              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

As Bronco fans, we should all hope so.

Comment

McGahee's ball security must improve dramatically or I could see KM getting a nod. BUT... I'm going to think that McGahee is going to get a good dose of ball security 101 this week and should, HOPEFULLY, protect the ball better. Because outside of that, he's looking solid out there.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RazR View Post
                    McGahee's ball security must improve dramatically or I could see KM getting a nod. BUT... I'm going to think that McGahee is going to get a good dose of ball security 101 this week and should, HOPEFULLY, protect the ball better. Because outside of that, he's looking solid out there.
                    His YPC is 29th in the NFL.

Comment

Hillman will get the NOD. Moreno is done stop holding hope for dead weight like you did with orton and many other Broncos players SOME people overrated on this board

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
                        So it really comes down to a Productive back that fumbles vs a Non-Productive back that fumbles
                        Stick with Willis/Hillman Combo and work on ball security.
                        I always wonder where people come up with conclusions like this, and it's not that I'm a Knowshon apologist. It's true, I was always a fan of his when he was at UGA and I had high hopes when he was drafted in '09. That being said, I've seen his limited capabilities now that he's been in the league a few years. However, I still don't think he's as bad as everyone makes him out to be. So let's compare Knowshon and Willis.

So far in Denver, Willis has had 446 touches in total (409 rushing, 37 catches) . In those 409 carries he has averaged 4.5 yds/carry, 9 TDs, and 9 fumbles (counting totals between rushing and receiving). He also has about 250 yards of receiving to add to that.

Knowshon has a few more touches, though that's skewed b/c he's been here four years as compared to McGahee's two. However, his carry total (in touches) is similar. In his 479 carries and 77 catches, he has averaged 4.1 yds/carry, 19 total TDs, and 9 fumbles with just over 700 yards in receiving.

So to say that Knowshon is an unproductive back, when he's touched the ball, isn't entirely accurate. I would not call a back that averages 4.1 yds/carry and has 19 TDs in 36 games "unproductive." Is it 12th overall pick worthy? No. But it's certainly not "unproductive" in my book. In fact, Knowshon's yds/carry has increased year-after-year from 3.8 his rookie year to 4.8 last year (understanding of course that it was a small sample size). That taken into account, I'd say he could probably be a 4.2, 4.3 yds/carry back. That's not all bad.

But maybe this is a matter of semantics. Maybe in your book, any back that doesn't average 5 yds/carry and 2 TDs a game is "unproductive." I don't know. I just don't think Knowshon is as bad as everyone makes him out to be, especially since he only costs us $850K. And, mind you, I think he led all rookies in 2009 in yards from scrimmage (receiving plus rushing). That's a class including Maclin, Crabtree, Harvin.

Unfortunately, he just can't stay healthy.
                        Last edited by SinePari; 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                          No. Moreno is strictly an insurance policy in case McGahee, Ball or Hillman get injured and have to miss time. Period. Done. End of discussion.
                          I haven't heard anyone from the FO come out and say that.

So, I'm glad that's settled.

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari View Post
                            I always wonder where people come up with conclusions like this. So let's compare Knowshon and Willis.

So far in Denver, Willis has had 446 touches in total (409 rushing, 37 catches) . In those 409 carries he has averaged 4.5 yds/carry, 9 TDs, and 9 fumbles (counting totals between rushing and receiving). He also has about 250 yards of receiving to add to that.

Knowshon has a few more touches, though that's skewed b/c he's been here four years as compared to McGahee's two. However, his carry total (in touches) is similar. In his 479 carries and 77 catches, he has averaged 4.1 yds/carry, 19 total TDs, and 9 fumbles with just over 700 yards in receiving.

So to say that Knowshon is an unproductive back, when he's touched the ball, isn't entirely accurate. I would not call a back that averages 4.1 yds/carry and has 19 TDs in 36 games "unproductive." Is it 12th overall pick worthy? No. But it's certainly not "unproductive" in my book. In fact, Knowshon's yds/carry has increased year-after-year from 3.8 his rookie year to 4.8 last year (understanding of course that it was a small sample size). That taken into account, I'd say he could probably be a 4.2, 4.3 yds/carry back. That's not all bad.

But maybe this is a matter of semantics. Maybe in your book, any back that doesn't average 5 yds/carry and 2 TDs a game is "unproductive." I don't know. I just don't think Knowshon is as bad as everyone makes him out to be, especially since he only costs us $850K. Unfortunately, he just can't stay healthy.
                            The same people who say Moreno sucks despite his stats are the same ones who point to Dumervil's lack of sack stats as criteria for him being overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari View Post
                              I always wonder where people come up with conclusions like this. So let's compare Knowshon and Willis.

But maybe this is a matter of semantics. Maybe in your book, any back that doesn't average 5 yds/carry and 2 TDs a game is "unproductive." I don't know. I just don't think Knowshon is as bad as everyone makes him out to be, especially since he only costs us $850K. Unfortunately, he just can't stay healthy.
                              It would certainly help if Knowshon could put up big numbers against other teams that aren't the Chiefs. Knowshon only has 2 career 100+ yards rushing games in his career. McGahee has had 10 in 2 years. He's had more 100 yard games this season than Moreno has had his entire career.

And I support Moreno, I think he's a great short yardage/goalline back. He has a nose for getting into the endzone in goal to go situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X