Things I Will Be Watching For In Our Game Against The Bucs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I Will Be Watching For In Our Game Against The Bucs

As mentioned elsewhere, we are 7.5 point favs. Sure we're rocking a 6 game win streak, and we're in "our house", and so on. But I will be watching for the following tomorrow, to make me feel comfortable that we are doing the right things, to get win #9:

1) Although TB is one of the worst pass defending teams, I still want some offensive balance. I expect Peyton to throw for about 300 yards, and hopefully 2 or more TDs. But I'm good with under 300 yards, combined with continued ability to move the ball on the ground, which I hope Moreno and Hillman can provide. Tampa has the least amount of rushing yards against, so it would be a good thing to see us able to pump out a balanced attack, even though this game is set up for us to make some serious passing stats! I am not talking big rushing yards, but enough to make a dent against a stellar run D.

I just feel like, for us to be a real contender, we need to prove we can run against anyone, because we already have a lot of faith in #18. Passing isn't a concern. And based on Tampa's stats, we should be able to pass successfully.

2) We know that Doug Martin is a quality RB, even as a rookie. So....lets prove to the league that we can limit this guy. Lets show off our team balance, and when I say that, I also mean Defensive balance. We know we can pressure QBs, but what a statement it would be to minimize Martin's day. I look for our run stuffers to flex their muscles tomorrow, and prove that we are a mutli dimensional team.

3) Josh Freeman is a big guy, and is having a decent season.....with a 94.3 passer rating. Not bad. He's got some receivers that can hurt you. So, as mentioned earlier, lets make his day very anxious, with pressure from every whichway. That's our game. It's definitely Miller time!

4) I've become a fan of another player this year....his name is Woodyard. Watch for him, all over the field. He's getting deserved recognition this year, and I am now pushing his product, week after week. I am sorry I waited so long to get on the train.

Go Broncos!!!

I feel differently.

Instead of proving anything to anyone concerning "well roundedness", I would prefer to see this team use it's "killer instinct" by utilizing it's strengths to exploit the other teams weaknesses. A hurry up Offense in Mile High air could easily net the Broncos an early big lead. Then turn Von and Doom loose!

The Broncos have practice time during the week and the rest of the season to hone any dull edges. In this particular game, "when the bell rings" I want to see them go strait for the knock out!

Last edited by kevlar441; 12-01-2012, 10:31 AM.
    "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Comment

That's cool kev.....I see your point. I just like the idea of maintaining a solid balance all the way thru the lineup. No weak spots. Sure, we should pass heavy tomorrow, but I still want proof we can run, especially against the #1 D for run stats. It's cool to play to our strengths, and we have many, but I love this new balanced approach, whether it be on the O or on the D, or a combination of all facets of the game, including STs.

The formula for winning it all this year may include the ability to be adapt to whatever comes our way.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        That's cool kev.....I see your point. I just like the idea of maintaining a solid balance all the way thru the lineup. No weak spots. Sure, we should pass heavy tomorrow, but I still want proof we can run, especially against the #1 D for run stats. It's cool to play to our strengths, and we have many, but I love this new balanced approach, whether it be on the O or on the D, or a combination of all facets of the game, including STs.

The formula for winning it all this year may include the ability to be adapt to whatever comes our way.
        Yes Can.

However, putting teams away when you have your foot on their throat to me seems equally important, if not more so, at this juncture.

Part of adapting is taking what they give you and running with it.

Comment

Two main things I will be concentrating on 1) Run defense against a well rounded back 2) The offense scoring in the first quarter. It seems like we have been a slow starting team on multiple occasions this year and I think we need to fix that. We cannot afford to play behind and play catch up once we hit the playoffs and I think it is paramount that we work on hitting our stride early. This defense has an entirely different mentality and playing style once we get the lead and in order for us to hit on all cylinders I believe we need to consistently strike early and often. In turn teams will press harder to play catch up against our fast and aggressive defense and this should in turn lead to more turnovers and opportunities in general. I think we are close but there are still some things I would like to see improved.
          Backing Moreno, Ayers, and Smith for 09.
          Supporting this staff!
          Yes, I know my name is outdated, too lazy to care though hah = )

Comment

The truth is that we can't run against top run defenses. We aren't good at running which is unfortunate, but I think we have enough data to know that our run game compliments our pass game, not the other way around. My hope is that we don't play more conservatively than what fits our personnel.

Next year, I'd be all for going after good run blocking/catching tight ends and I'd love it if we could somehow improve at run blocking, but as it stands, what our line does best is pass blocking, what our tight ends do best is catch the ball, what our running backs do best is pick up the blitz and run after the catch and we have terrific receivers who are versatile on deep and short routes.

Now, if we play a weak run defense, that's one thing, but it just sets you up in a tough situation if you try to run against a good run defense and face long yardage as a result.

That, and we will likely play New England at some point in the playoffs who have a pretty good run defense, but are much weaker against the pass. I really think our best chance will be to outscore them with the passing game and to hope that their tight ends don't do too well against our biggest weakness on defense which is stopping tight ends. (And which is unfortunately the focus of their offense.)
            My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
            . Post Your Artwork .
            . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Well, no team will be without weaknesses, and it's getting awfully late in the season to try and correct major flaws by simply focusing on them. If the scheme/talent isn't there, it just isn't there. The best teams are often most adept at exploiting opposing weaknesses while hiding their own. No team is going to be super balanced on all phases.

Also, stopping Martin doesn't prove anything as far as run defense. Just means Denver stopped one type of runner on one particular day. Other teams will look at that film and find different ways to run the ball.

Granted, Denver is getting pretty close, but there will always be something that a quality opponent will exploit. No matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl View Post
                The truth is that we can't run against top run defenses. We aren't good at running which is unfortunate, but I think we have enough data to know that our run game compliments our pass game, not the other way around. My hope is that we don't play more conservatively than what fits our personnel.

Next year, I'd be all for going after good run blocking/catching tight ends and I'd love it if we could somehow improve at run blocking, but as it stands, what our line does best is pass blocking, what our tight ends do best is catch the ball, what our running backs do best is pick up the blitz and run after the catch and we have terrific receivers who are versatile on deep and short routes.

Now, if we play a weak run defense, that's one thing, but it just sets you up in a tough situation if you try to run against a good run defense and face long yardage as a result.

That, and we will likely play New England at some point in the playoffs who have a pretty good run defense, but are much weaker against the pass. I really think our best chance will be to outscore them with the passing game and to hope that their tight ends don't do too well against our biggest weakness on defense which is stopping tight ends. (And which is unfortunately the focus of their offense.)
                I think I agree with each post so far. But I do like to come at things a little sideways at times. My view is that, if you come with the obvious, you play into the opponents' hands. Sure, much of it is expected, but in the case of our run game, I would be thrilled if there is evidence that we can run against one of the so called best run stopping teams. And even with New England, who can pass the lights out, it is amazing how good their run game can be over the years, given they are so pass oriented.

I think part of my concern is that we need to continue to see evidence that Knowshon can carry most of the rushing load for some time to come, and each game he plays well is a feather in our cap.If we run out of a "run game", I don't love our chances to go deep this year.

But hey, if Mannning throws for 400 yards and 4 TDs.......I'm good with that too!!!!
                Last edited by CanDB; 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I expect our RBs to catch 8-10 passes this game, an extended running game if you like. Keeping the LBs and Safeties honest does not need to come through handing the ball off. Screens and dumpoffs work just as well and it suits Moreno's skill set.
                  Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                    Well, no team will be without weaknesses, and it's getting awfully late in the season to try and correct major flaws by simply focusing on them. If the scheme/talent isn't there, it just isn't there. The best teams are often most adept at exploiting opposing weaknesses while hiding their own. No team is going to be super balanced on all phases.

Also, stopping Martin doesn't prove anything as far as run defense. Just means Denver stopped one type of runner on one particular day. Other teams will look at that film and find different ways to run the ball.
                    Granted, Denver is getting pretty close, but there will always be something that a quality opponent will exploit. No matter what.
                    As for the bolded.......well now, I'd be happy with stopping Martin, whether it's a run game A, B or Z. We'll disagree on this one.

Comment

If anything folks, our great pass game will likely open up the run game, which is a smart way to exploit most teams.

I don't know if any folks here have a "bent" of any kind towards Moreno. I'll assume otherwise.

As for running the ball effectively when the pass game is so strong, it's like Yogi Berra said, "when you come to a fork in the road, take it."
                      Last edited by CanDB; 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I will be watching us win, again..........
                        sigpic
                        Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                        2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                        2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

If anything folks, our great pass game will likely open up the run game, which is a smart way to exploit most teams.

I don't know if any folks here have a "bent" of any kind towards Moreno. I'll assume otherwise.

As for running the ball effectively when the pass game is so strong, it's like Yogi Berra said, "when you come to a fork in the road, take it."
                          What does stealing silverware have to do with anything?

I came across something interesting. I was curious if Tampa's run Defense simply led the league in Total Rushing Yards allowed or whether they also led in Average Yards Per Carry allowed. They do!

However, guess who is tied for second?

LINK

So much for questioning Denver's run Defence!
                          Last edited by kevlar441; 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

3) Josh Freeman is a big guy, and is having a decent season.....with a 94.3 passer rating. Not bad. He's got some receivers that can hurt you. So, as mentioned earlier, lets make his day very anxious, with pressure from every whichway. That's our game. It's definitely Miller time!

Go Broncos!!!

He is also cute, which makes him twice as deadly.

All kidding aside, the Bucs are a wild card in this game because of the running game with Martin and the passing game with V. Jackson. I do believe the Broncos will win, but I am more nervous about this game than any other since the Texans back in September.
                            sigpic
                            2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

Comment

I want to see how the team reacts to a sloppy performance last week.
                              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Working...
                              X