Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I Will Be Watching For In Our Game Against The Bucs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by kevlar441 View Post
    What does stealing silverware have to do with anything?

    I came across something interesting. I was curious if Tampa's run Defense simply led the league in Total Rushing Yards allowed or whether they also led in Average Yards Per Carry allowed. They do!

    However, guess who is tied for second?

    LINK

    So much for questioning Denver's run Defence!
    Good research! I didn't realize we were so tough against the run......3.6 yards/carry is pretty darn sweet!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      Good research! I didn't realize we were so tough against the run......3.6 yards/carry is pretty darn sweet!
      It is my opinion that too many people focus on the wrong stats. Being second in the league at stopping the run when a team tries it is far more important than actual yards over time.

      I recently read something by someone very successful at picking winners in the NFL. He said that the first and most important thing he looked at was Yards Per Attempt (regardless of run or pass) both Offensively and Defensively. He then tried to put those numbers into the proper context given the strength of the opponent at the time.

      I loved his simplification because it cuts through so much ....! He said effectiveness translates to wins. It doesn't matter if it is run or pass.

      Over the course of a season, so many stats become meaningless because they become convoluted, and yet are held in high esteem without being put into proper context.

      I tend to believe the guy who said: "Stats lie! And 96.7% of the people that use them are liars!"

      (I miss him. Maybe I should go see him during "Visiting Hours". Though I still want my car back!)

      Last edited by kevlar441; 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM.
      "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by kevlar441 View Post
        It is my opinion that too many people focus on the wrong stats. Being second in the league at stopping the run when a team tries it is far more important than actual yards over time.

        I recently read something by someone very successful at picking winners in the NFL. He said that the first and most important thing he looked at was Yards Per Attempt (regardless of run or pass) both Offensively and Defensively. He then tried to put those numbers into the proper context given the strength of the opponent at the time.

        I loved his simplification because it cuts through so much ....! He said effectiveness translates to wins. It doesn't matter if it is run or pass.

        Over the course of a season, so many stats become meaningless because they become convoluted, and yet are held in high esteem without being put into proper context.

        I tend to believe the guy who said: "Stats lie! And 96.7% of the people that use them are liars!"

        (I miss him. Maybe I should go see him during "Visiting Hours". Though I still want my car back!)

        Like any stats, I think there are a group of them that work together to give a reasonably good assessment of how a team is doing. But that's why I love team sports....there are so many variables. And stats are good for nothing if you can't win the big games.

        But all in all, I think there's some real "moneyball" stuff going on here, where you need every edge you can get, given your salary output. Of course in baseball, where there's no cap, you need moneyball PLUS! In football however, where 32 teams have a salary cap, and parity has a real shot, understanding stats is that much more critical. Every edge is important. Anything you can do to be one inch ahead of the other team, is a good thing. And in some cases, bending the rules and maybe even some "old fashioned"/ non-caught cheating may be part of the overall formula.

        ( I didn't just say "cheating" did I????)
        Last edited by CanDB; 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          I don't mind using the run game,we do need a balanced attack.But i hope we use it when we are up by 21 points.Tampa Bay has the worst pass defense in football,so Manning has to be licking his chops for this game.Hopefully,we get the ball first and score right away so the Bucs can play catch up and we can unleash Von,Doom,and Wolfe.

          Going up against the #1 rush defense in football,a pass heavy offense has to be the obvious.
          Last edited by BroncoSexyDaddy; 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Now that I know what you all are looking for, I'll be looking for those things & when I see them, I'll nod to myself & think "Yep, they were watchin' for that".

            Myself, I want to see the offense tighten things up. There has been some loose, sloppy play, especially last week. It's like they got a great suit on, but thier shirt is untucked, tie crooked & shoes untied. They just gotta neaten some things up & they'll look swank.

            This is the earliest in a season I've looked past games to the playoffs in many-a-moon. Really hoping for injury-free games at this point, more than any real differences on either side of the ball.
            "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Trench777 View Post
              Now that I know what you all are looking for, I'll be looking for those things & when I see them, I'll nod to myself & think "Yep, they were watchin' for that".

              Myself, I want to see the offense tighten things up. There has been some loose, sloppy play, especially last week. It's like they got a great suit on, but thier shirt is untucked, tie crooked & shoes untied. They just gotta neaten some things up & they'll look swank.

              This is the earliest in a season I've looked past games to the playoffs in many-a-moon. Really hoping for injury-free games at this point, more than any real differences on either side of the ball.
              I agree with you Trench.....lets look sharp on our first drive, and carry that through the whole game, as much as possible. We have a very potent O, but we have been off a bit, even during this great run. We certainly underperformed last week, but then again, winning is the only true stat that matters in a football game......especially if it's the last one you play, in the playoffs!!!

              As for injuries, I try not to think about the word, rather just keep moving forward, and think about bumps and bruises that normally occur. The really good news.....we've been able to manage our injuries by utilizing quality depth so far. That's a good sign. So far, we're a better team for it, with guys filling in exceptionally well, and getting much needed experience, which by nature of things, adds value to our club.

              Trench.....as for the bolded part (which was funny!:thumb.....it was also very true. This thread is about what each of us is looking for, not what we are telling everyone else to watch for. Points will be served (later) for "nailing it", even if in some form of jest.
              Last edited by CanDB; 12-02-2012, 07:31 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                And for the record.......I'll be watching for















                WIN #9!!!

                Comment


                • #23
                  we must stop tirning it over at least 1 in every game so far...also we must slow the run down esp.on the edge gotta hold up n turn it back inside or itll be a long day...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Three things:

                    Denver's pass O vs. Tampa's pass D;

                    Denver's Run D vs. Tampa's Rushing O;

                    Special Teams/Field Position.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X