Post game rants --- Tampa Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Minx View Post
    Okay, so he was put in to trick the Buccaneers, as Peyton Manning intended to throw the pass to him all along. I guess, then, this is part of what ESPN referred to as Peyton Manning's "quirky football genius," huh?
    Its quite common.

Its called a play-action fake. You fake the hand-off to the running back and then throw the ball. If the defense thinks just for one second that its a running play it can get them out of position.

Comment

• Okay. I think I got it.

Thank you so much, Everyone. I have only been watching football since the start of the 2011 season. I've watched all the Broncos' games to learn. This season, I've had to watch most of them by myself. Being able to ask questions on here has been a Godsend. Asking questions of people I know has often been less than helpful. I do so appreciate all the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        Its quite common.
        It's not normally completed to a defensive tackle, though.
        sigpic
        - ★ -
        2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Okay, so he was put in to trick the Buccaneers, as Peyton Manning intended to throw the pass to him all along. I guess, then, this is part of what ESPN referred to as Peyton Manning's "quirky football genius," huh?
          Probably give McCoy, our offensive coordinator some credit too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sync View Post
            It's not normally completed to a defensive tackle, though.
            If not to the defensive tackle, then to whom?

Comment

A defensive tackle is very rarely on offense. They would occasionally be used to block on the goal-line, but thats about it.

Play action is used quite a lot by QB's throughout the game. Fake the ball to the running back which gets the defense out of position and then throw to a receiver or tight end........ or running back.

Look at how the defense think its going to be a hand-off to the running back so they rush to tackle him, leaving massive gaps behind them -

Comment

On a traditional play action pass, you'd see the quarterback throwing to a wide receiver, tight end, full back, or running back. Anyone who's normally a member of the offense, really. Play action passes are very common in the NFL and happen every drive. It just means the quarterback has pretended to hand the ball to the running back in an attempt to trick the defense, before turning around and throwing the ball instead.
                sigpic
                - ★ -
                2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

• antonio cromartie plays WR, Only like a few snaps there this year.

Comment

• Mitch Unrein plays defense. When he lines up on Offense he has been in the backfield as a Fullback. When big players are used to get first downs and touchdowns over a short distance up to several yards, it is usually called the Jumbo package.

Up until the TD pass he caught, most teams expect him to block. The Chicago Bears used a defensive tackle named William Perry in this way during the eighties. He was called the refigerator, "Fridge" for short.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• In 1985 the Chicago Bears used defensive tackle, William "the fridge" Perry, as both a blocker and ball carrier in goal line situations including in the Superbowl. That was the first time, in the midern era of football, that a defensive tackle was used in that manner.

Comment

Working...
                      X