Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend's take on Manning?

Hey all,

Longtime lurker (and Bronco fan) who is finally crawling out of the cave of primitivism and joining the community on this board. Pleased to meet you all!

Just wanted to post a topic for discussion, debate, trial by fire, and perhaps the instigation of a forum war where you all beat me over the head mercilessly with manhole covers. :thumb: Anyhow, I've got a friend who is a diehard Bronco fan, season ticket holder, and swears - swears - that Manning's level of play is mediocre and that he's a liability to our offense this season. Said friend claims there is little improvement from Tebow and that the offensive struggles in the first half are indicative of Manning's mediocrity - which can't be quantified into stats, but is apparent in watching his play and his inability to sustain drives. His biggest peeve is Manning's inaccuracy on deeper routes, although he claims that Manning's stats have been padded based on garbage-time performances in the second half this season. The second half...the one where games are usually decided. He insists that the defense has bailed Manning out of a number of games - which, true or not, is more a credit to the overall strength of this team and not Manning's deficiency (I mean, the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer).

Me? I ask him what team he's been watching all season, because surely it's not the Broncos. I don't know how a borderline-70 percent completion rating, offense without a running game that still averages 30 points per game, and almost universal MVP consideration warrants a "liability" to our offense...but maybe that's me.

What's your take on this? Is my friend crazy? Is he on point? Should he be committed? Should I never post here again and return to my Neanderthal existence?
    Last edited by Frenchy180; 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM.

My take is that you need to stop talking to this guy. You (and now us through association) are dumber for hearing his theory on the NFL's MVP this season.

Also, welcome to the boards!

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
      My take is that you need to stop talking to this guy. You (and now us through association) are dumber for hearing his theory on the NFL's MVP this season.

Also, welcome to the boards!
      Word!! Thanks for the nice welcome. Wyoming Cowboy here (Unrein!!), but I dig what the Rebels have trotted out over the past couple of years. Anthony Marshall won me over when he was a freshman and was throwing down tomahawks vs. UNI in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Friends don't let friends do drugs.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Your friend is trolling. Defriend this chump.
          sigpic

Comment

Let me guess, your buddy is one of those I have my blinders on, Tebone lovers? Anyone who worships Tebone as a football player has no idea what they are talking about when it comes to football so you are not crazy.

Welcome to the boards and tell your friend to take off his Tebone Blinders.
            sigpic
            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnimalYears View Post
              Word!! Thanks for the nice welcome. Wyoming Cowboy here (Unrein!!), but I dig what the Rebels have trotted out over the past couple of years. Anthony Marshall won me over when he was a freshman and was throwing down tomahawks vs. UNI in the NCAA tourney.
              I went to high school with Anthony.

Comment

All Manning does is win!

Team Broncos!
                2013 Adopt A Bronco Peyton Manning|#18|QB

Comment

Let's see, Manning is only a fraction of a point behind Aaron Rogers to lead the league in passer rating- and has accomplished that after a year off and with brand new receivers in a new system on a new team. That alone is an astonishing accomplishment and I'll bet 1000 bucks he leads the league in passer rating after this weekend. Manning already LEADS the league in ESPN's QB rating, which takes into account fumbles, sacks, etc. and is probably a much better measure of overall contribution to a team. The entire team - coaches, defense, offense, attest to Manning's incredible elevation of everyone's standards. After some early struggles and difficulties (easily explained) we have reeled off seven wins in a row and have already won the AFC West.

Yup, your "friend," real or imaginary, is a dolt.
                  Last edited by Steamboat7; 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat7 View Post
                    Let's see, Manning is only a fraction of a point behind Aaron Rogers to lead the league in passer rating. I'll bet 1000 bucks he leads the league in passer rating after this weekend. Manning already LEADS the league in ESPN's QB rating, which takes into account fumbles, sacks, etc. and is probably a much better measure of overall contribution to a team. The entire team - coaches, defense, offense, attest to Manning's incredible elevation of everyone's standards. After some early struggles and difficulties (easily explained) we have reeled off seven wins in a row and have already won the AFC West.

Yup, your "friend," real or imaginary, is a dolt.
                    I think his criticism of Manning has been excessive because A.) he did have a large chub for Tebow, and B.) more importantly, he's looking at this from an all-business standpoint and with what we're paying Manning vs. building a long-term, sustainable team, he thinks we're going for broke with him. Personally, I'd say we're putting ourselves in the best situation to win a Super Bowl possible and that there's no one in the NFL (maybe in NFL history) I'd rather have come in, learn a new system, and become a SB contender in one single year.

Comment

I think his criticism of Manning has been excessive because A.) he did have a large chub for Tebow, and B.) more importantly, he's looking at this from an all-business standpoint and with what we're paying Manning vs. building a long-term, sustainable team, he thinks we're going for broke with him. Personally, I'd say we're putting ourselves in the best situation to win a Super Bowl possible and that there's no one in the NFL (maybe in NFL history) I'd rather have come in, learn a new system, and become a SB contender in one single year.
                      Encourage him to look at it strictly from a football/Xs & Os perspective if he is capable of doing so.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Hey all,

Longtime lurker (and Bronco fan) who is finally crawling out of the cave of primitivism and joining the community on this board. Pleased to meet you all!

Just wanted to post a topic for discussion, debate, trial by fire, and perhaps the instigation of a forum war where you all beat me over the head mercilessly with manhole covers. :thumb: Anyhow, I've got a friend who is a diehard Bronco fan, season ticket holder, and swears - swears - that Manning's level of play is mediocre and that he's a liability to our offense this season. Said friend claims there is little improvement from Tebow and that the offensive struggles in the first half are indicative of Manning's mediocrity - which can't be quantified into stats, but is apparent in watching his play and his inability to sustain drives. His biggest peeve is Manning's inaccuracy on deeper routes, although he claims that Manning's stats have been padded based on garbage-time performances in the second half this season. The second half...the one where games are usually decided. He insists that the defense has bailed Manning out of a number of games - which, true or not, is more a credit to the overall strength of this team and not Manning's deficiency (I mean, the Ravens won a Super Bowl with effing Trent Dilfer).

Me? I ask him what team he's been watching all season, because surely it's not the Broncos. I don't know how a borderline-70 percent completion rating, offense without a running game that still averages 30 points per game, and almost universal MVP consideration warrants a "liability" to our offense...but maybe that's me.

What's your take on this? Is my friend crazy? Is he on point? Should he be committed? Should I never post here again and return to my Neanderthal existence?
                        Sorry not buying the whole "yea I'm new here--totally a Broncos fan--but my 'friend' says..." bark. SPIES IN OUR MIDST!!!

On a side note, I'm new here as well. (looks like I arrived just in time :thumb
                        fumpa.mybrute.com

Comment

Is this really a friend or should we beat you over he head with man hole covers like you said? Lol Jk welcome to the boards
                          sigpic

Comment

Garbage time stats? We run the ball during garbage time. Id say someone is full of poo.
                            sigpic
                            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Lol...your friend is totally insane.

Comment

Working...
                              X