Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(When Signing) Did Peyton Manning See More In Us Than We Did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (When Signing) Did Peyton Manning See More In Us Than We Did?

I was ecstatic when we signed Peyton. I realized that Elway was a big reason why he came to Denver, but even still, I sometimes wondered why he chose us over all the others. I thought we had some real potential, but I did have some concerns that we didn't have what he might be looking for, in terms of a team he could lead to another SB.

I knew we had a good, young Oline, and some up and coming receivers. Our running game was a bonus in 2011, but was this unit of backs the future? And our TEs weren't really a big part of anything for some time.

On D, we were getting better, and with Miller, Doom and Champ, we had a nucleus of top quality players. But were the young guns ready, and could JDR turn this group into a top tier D? And from some folks' vantage point, did we have enough strength in our DTs and LBs to make this a balanced run stopping / pass pressure machine. There was evidence of that in 2011, but we needed some more of that.

And as for coaching......were Fox and McCoy the kind of guys (along with JDR) that he trusted to not only have the right plan, but able to create the right environment for him to thrive in?

So yes, I had questions.......and I'm sure he, Peyton Manning style, assessed every dark corner and every loose end, throughout this organization, to determine if we were the right fit for his return. The money wasn't the key issue, because others were willing to pay. And though Elway was clearly confident of what the Broncos could do to win over Peyton, there had to be more.....and more being what Manning could see for himself, and could feel deep within. And it all needed to happen in a relatively restricted timeframe, because he knew that time was not as much on his side.

In the end, I believe Manning did his homework, and for comparative purposes, his studies are of the PhD variety. And I believe he saw what some of us could not see, though we wanted to believe it was there. He knew that, with a couple of old friends around, he could make something happen here in Denver......because he saw a bright future with players like Clady, Beadles, Decker, Thomas, McGahee, Miller, Doom and Champ....just to name a small number of the roster. And I believe he saw a head coach and supportive coaching staff that would make things easy for him, while creating the environment that our guys could grow within.

And in the very end, when he felt that moment of finality in making up his mind to choose us, I am sure he saw some real evidence of a team that he wanted to be part of, that consisted of a group of trusted seasoned players blended with a lot of energetic, athletic, untapped opportunity.....and a good feeling that could come about, if he was the lead dog, the mentor, the field coach, the strategic genius, the one who others will follow and never settle for less, as long as he is in their midst.

Yes, maybe it's just me, but I am so glad that Peyton Manning saw more in us than I did. But then again, I am not Peyton Manning.
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM.

I do believe your thoughts are correct and well articulated.
    PROUND MEMBER OF THE MILE HIGH MANNING FIVEHEAD FAN CLUB! MEMBER #101!

Comment

Peyton chose Denver because we had Elway and the cap space to build an offense around him. Tennessee was the next choice, but they did not have the cap space to build Peyton's offense, nor a FO with enough experience to get him back to the Superbowl in a short amount of time. Elway gave Peyton the best chance to get back to the championship and Peyton wants to win now as he did not feel he had much longer to be able to play!
      sigpic

Comment

Nice post, CanDB... :thumb:
        Bronco fan sine '61...

Comment

Good post CanDB.

I don't think he was ever going to Tennessee. He did not want to alienate his fans in Indy or endure the slings of going to another team in his old division. Besides that, they are a dysfunctional organization with an erratic owner. Bud Adams seems more like Al Davis every day.

Comment

Nice post CanDB. Probably one of the best starting posts for a thread I have seen in a while.

Comment

Another thoughtful post, CanDB. I'd cp ya but it says I have to spread it around first.

You've probably said everything I'd like to say but am unable to articulate. I thought we had a chance until Tennessee offered him the moon & SF offered him a SB contending team. I was surprised when he chose Denver - turning down $7 million a year and a near-guaranteed shot at the Super Bowl. It made me respect him more, if that was possible.

Comment

And I would have loved to have seen Champ's face when he received Peyton's text saying "Let's go". He was probably doing back flips wherever he was.

Comment

My exact thoughts, I remember reading every article and all the comments bashing Denver saying we were no good and that if he wanted to win a ring he would go to San Fran. I almost believed that myself but I knew he would choose Denver and he did, and guess what? We are winning a super bowl baby

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighMaven View Post
                    And I would have loved to have seen Champ's face when he received Peyton's text saying "Let's go". He was probably doing back flips wherever he was.
                    Honestly thats what I thought about the most after he signed.

Guys like Champ, DJ, Doom, Kuper, McGahee and most of all had to have been Salt-n-Peppa (Decker & DT).

Theirs faces must have been...

PS: Great post Can!! Would CP but must spread around. Keep them coming! I come online now just checking for a new piece from you! Great threads man!
                    sigpic

Comment

I watched a video where the doctor was saying a reason he also could of came to denver was the air, And the ball can travel further in the air.

Comment

I think he looked at the WRs between SF Tenn and us and chose us.

SF - Good Oline for PM to work with. More run blocking then pass blocking but imo PM could have worked behind that OL. SF defense better then ours. SF RB better then ours. Pretty sure PM would love to throw to their TE. We have better coaching imo. I do not know allot about Harbaugh but I trust my many SF fans and they say it is essentialy a team Singletary built that Harbaugh is suceeding with. Imo the different here is we have better coaches and WRs. I could agrue our OL is better but I could also argue when PM made his choice that SF OL is better....I do not think it is obvious who has better OL...least when PM made his choice. Right now I saw ours is better.

Tenn - IMO we are better in every way and the main thing pulling PM to Tenn was his roots. Well Tenn has a real good RB in CJ2K, he is explosive but he is not a great "move the chains" back imo.

Basically I agree with ya Can. PM does not do anything without doing ALL his homework. He looked at our football operation from top to bottom and decided we were his best bet at getting a championship. PM has one of the best football minds in the buiz right now so that means allot imo.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          I think he looked at the WRs between SF Tenn and us and chose us.

SF - Good Oline for PM to work with. More run blocking then pass blocking but imo PM could have worked behind that OL. SF defense better then ours. SF RB better then ours. Pretty sure PM would love to throw to their TE. We have better coaching imo. I do not know allot about Harbaugh but I trust my many SF fans and they say it is essentialy a team Singletary built that Harbaugh is suceeding with. Imo the different here is we have better coaches and WRs. I could agrue our OL is better but I could also argue when PM made his choice that SF OL is better....I do not think it is obvious who has better OL...least when PM made his choice. Right now I saw ours is better.

Tenn - IMO we are better in every way and the main thing pulling PM to Tenn was his roots. Well Tenn has a real good RB in CJ2K, he is explosive but he is not a great "move the chains" back imo.

Basically I agree with ya Can. PM does not do anything without doing ALL his homework. He looked at our football operation from top to bottom and decided we were his best bet at getting a championship. PM has one of the best football minds in the buiz right now so that means allot imo.
                          I'd take our o-line in pass protection. SF probably wins comfortably when it comes to run blocking. Our inconsistency is a problem.

Comment

I was thinking even beyond the (assumed) finalists in the race to get Peyton. I think it was broader than that. He must have assessed a number of teams who were quite interested, but ruled them out for various reasons, before getting down to the final few. Therefore Denver was the chosen over a larger group of possibilities.

Another thing to consider......based on what we all know now about Peyton's capabilities, I wonder how many other teasm would have been more serious about acquiring him. Basically, he could have improved a lot of NFL teams, had they wanted him or had the guts to take the risk. Lets just say, there are other teams who could have gotten onboard, who were only a Peyton Manning away from making some form of playoff run, or at least would have made a real statement about the strength of their overall team. Imagine St. Louis for example.....albeit, he wouldn't have gone there I'm sure.

And imagine where The Jets would be with him at the helm......but that circus just wouldn't sit well for #18.
                            Last edited by CanDB; 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Peyton Manning is studious, meticulous, analytical and a creature of habit with high standards. He listens to those he trusts like his Dad, David Cutcliffe, and his brother.

In his decision making process, he must have liked what Elway was doing with the organization as a whole and what Fox was doing with the team as a whole. He must have seen in McCoy a knowledgeable person with sound offensive football concepts, and with whom he could work. He saw a predominantly young team with veteran leadership at all positions which he felt would respond well to his style of leadership.

All of these ranked the Broncos above the others. Elway was the the one who orchestrated and led the whole effort. He told his staff to be ready in the event the Colts released Manning. They had a plan and as soon as the announcement was made, they pulled the trigger and were steps ahead of the competition from the start.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X